Microsoft Offers Free Dell PC if they Can’t Upgrade you to Windows 10 in 1 Day

Crunch time is fast approaching for many users, who desire to take advantage of Microsoft’s free Windows 10 upgrade offer. The software firm’s flagship operating system has been on the market for the past year. The company released the most recent revision, 1511, last November with the upcoming Anniversary Update set for August 2. For many, the upgrade can come across elusive; resulting in users giving up after exhausting various troubleshooting options. Microsoft seems to have heard the cries of distress and has decided to provide support options to help users get Windows 10 up and running before July 29 arrives.

same upgrade service

Microsoft Provides Same Day Upgrade Service for Windows 10

For users experiencing difficulty upgrading to Windows 10, Microsoft is providing its Answers Desk experts to help you through the process. All you need to do is head on over to the Windows 10 Upgrade Challenge page and register your device at a participating retail store before 12 noon.

Get a free, same-day upgrade to Windows 10. Our Answer Desk experts are here to help you get the safest, most productive and most personal version of Windows yet. If your PC meets all of the requirements, our team will upgrade your PC to Windows 10. If we don’t upgrade your PC by close of business, you’ll get a free Dell Inspiron 15.* PC must be checked into the Answer Desk at participating retail store before 12 noon local time.

• If your PC isn’t compatible with Windows 10, we’ll recycle it and give you $150 toward the purchase of a new PC**
      •    Save $20 on Office 365 Home when you upgrade to Windows 10
  • The eligible PC must be checked into the Answer Desk at participating retail store before 12 noon local time
  • The participating retail store cannot complete a customer’s Windows 10 upgrade on an eligible PC within the same business day during regular store hours.

Don’t miss out on this limited time opportunity to get the best Windows ever, for free. To find out how to win an Xbox One when upgrading, see a store associate. Find your store and register today. Source

There is a lot of fine print with this offer,  so be sure to review the details before ya get too excited…

Since launch, Windows 10 has reached 350 million users worldwide, supporting a variety of devices, including phones, game consoles, and conferencing systems. The release remains short of reaching the company’s goal of 1 billion active users by 2018. Microsoft will begin charging users to upgrade at the end of July; which might further limit the company’s progress. Users who have already upgraded successfully will be able to benefit from the operating systems new service model. Future revisions of Windows 10 such as the upcoming Anniversary Update will be free. If you have been trying to get Windows 10 installed for the past year; this might be the perfect opportunity to get some expert help and possibly a new system.

Update:

Users interested in taking advantage of the Windows 10 Upgrade Challenge; should be aware of the terms and conditions required to qualify your PC or device for servicing.

• **Offer valid from June 27, 2016 to July 29, 2016, while supplies last.

• Available only in Microsoft retail stores in U.S. (including Puerto Rico) and Canada.

• To be eligible for trade-in, you must own the qualifying device, device must power on, battery must hold charge and not be required to be plugged in to operate, and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing, liquid damage, modification(s) or have device warranty seal broken to be considered working.

• Cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories.

• Must contain hard drive.

• Devices must be running Windows 8 or newer.

• Any appraised value will be determined at trade-in and provided as a Microsoft retail store credit.

• All trade-ins are subject to Microsoft’s discretion and approval.

• All trade-ins are final.

13 Responses to Microsoft Offers Free Dell PC if they Can’t Upgrade you to Windows 10 in 1 Day

1. James July 18, 2016 at 6:52 am #

Great idea –

“. If we don’t upgrade your PC by close of business, you’ll get a free Dell Inspiron 15.*
    • Save $20 on Office 365 Home when you upgrade to Windows 10”

So – I have worked through the upgrade of my windows-7 systems – some of which took over 10 hours to get the PC ready for the windows-10 upgrade, and then 7 hours to actually upgrade to win-10 welcome Login now screen.
    I’ve got a few PC’s that are not win-10 capable – the 10GB drive & 512 MB memory being a start point. – Maybe I’ll cashin them!
    And – So now you offer $20 off of 365 – after I got the 5 installs/5 user home package!

Then again – noting the $ signs – the offers are probably not being made in the UK.

So it’s off to the internet to check – and can I combine several 150 vouchers towards a nice 500 system

2. James July 18, 2016 at 7:19 am #

From

There are plenty of terms and conditions around the offer, including the fact that the installation offer only applies to a single PC capable of running Windows 10

Such as
    “Microsoft Store technicians” – in the UK?
    Unfortunately, the offer does not apply in the UK, where Microsoft has yet to build any brick and mortar Microsoft Stores.

There is, in the UK via MS store:
    50% off Office 365 Personal Graduate ( whatever you need to qualify for that, and how much is it )
    The MS store does not list that –
    It does list Office 365 University – 4 years for £59.99 needs a school/college/university email id

• Steve Krause July 18, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

Hi James – I updated the article to include all the “Fine Print”.

Thnx!

3. holdum333 July 18, 2016 at 11:08 am #

Hi there! Darn it! I only have one PC and I had no problem updating to W10. I could use a new computer. Mine is going on 5 years old! The offer sounds a little to good to be true; but who knows, maybe old MS is having a change of heart and feeling generous!
    Join us on groovypost sister forum and discuss these things with other PC users!

4. James July 18, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

Thanks for the update –
    I like the
    **Offer valid from June 27, 2016 to July 29, 2016, while supplies last.

And –
    Here it is more than half that period gone before the Microsoft presents that limited offer to the public gaze.

And I was under the impression that it was considered very silly NOT to have your system password protected.

And – they take your system – complete with your data – and give you a credit to spend in their store at the prices they want to charge to – I presume, make a profit on the ‘deal’.

Hmmm! Not a good deal outside the USA etc. and possibly, with the constraints and conditions, not such a good one in the USA

5. kftgr July 18, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

Doubt that many will be able score a new PC. I was able to upgrade an old Compaq _netbook_ (atom proc, 1GB RAM, Windows 7 starter) to windows 10. Slow as hell, but it’s possible.

6. Ziggy July 19, 2016 at 6:17 am #

I’m only going to apply for this offer if they dish out a free icy cold beer, a juicy t-bone steak, and a trip to Mars – one way ticket!

I don’t want to come back and have to deal with MicroSilly any longer. Win 10 has driven me totally batty – and, fair crack-of-the-whip, I’m not joshing…Operator! Give me the number for 911!

• phyllis marhoffer July 23, 2016 at 12:20 am #

I have a desk top computer and Windows 10 has been driving me nuts too. This offer is for a lap-top which is nice but it’s only for those with running laptops. Desk top persons got left out on the terms. I’m giving it one last try with grateful information from this website, that I was lucky to find. After that what ever happens, happens. I’m done.
      Ziggy, I think we deserve a case of beer after this past year, your comment was funny but true,

7. James July 19, 2016 at 6:45 am #

Having given the offer some well needed thought overnight – OK – it was a hot and sticky night so sleeping was difficult –

I realise I had a PC that they would not have been able to ‘Upgrade’ – do a clean install – maybe – but not upgrade ..
    The OS drive had Office 2013, 2010 2000 XP, having been ‘upgraded from Win-3 through the OS and Office releases, and was also a testbed/development environment wityh Oracle, DB2, about 12 or so programming language facilities, a large variety of ‘development & test environments’ and drive/partition management backup & recovery facilities, as well as lots of file conversion facilities –
    Yes Topsy – grew and grew …

And I’m still working through the ‘stuff’ on the system to check what works, and what disney work

So – when I converted the 400GB of OS partition from Win-7 to Win-10 it took over 24 hours to actually do the upgrade – OK – I had upgraded the hard drive from 500GB to a 1TB drive so there would be space and the CPU was a dual-core one.

I’m certain they would not have been able to do the conversion at all without the extra space …

BUT – I’d have got $150? towards the excessive cost of Dell hardware from a Microsoft store and they get to keep my PC ???

And – for those enjoying the nothing-doing when left-clicking the ‘start’ – I’ve found that a full (shift+shutdown) and then reboot seems to restore the start to working status – well usually

8. Ellie Rivers July 19, 2016 at 2:33 pm #

I took the challenge today and was told BS.

By the clause “one eligible PC that meets Window 10 upgrade requirements” they don’t mean that your computer has to be able to run windows 10 or even can be upgraded with some work to windows 10, they mean that your computer has to have no problem upgrading to windows 10. This basically means, trouble upgrading to windows 10, oh you don’t meet the challenge requirements! If you do meet the challenge requirements then your computer will upgrade to windows 10 without no problem by definition. This challenge is rigged so NO ONE will ever get a free laptop -_- And the customer service is insulting if you ask about the challenge insinuating you’re only in it for the free laptop in a bad way.

9. Dennis Gries July 20, 2016 at 12:28 pm #

Given that more computers than not are operating Win 7, then why is Win 7 excluded?

We have two identical Dell Inspirons and one (“mine”) went picture perfect. Somehow the other has a BIOS that the W10 install doesn’t like!!!. Can the BIOS be changed???

Really, does the offer have any relevance?

• Steve Krause July 20, 2016 at 5:02 pm #

Hi you goto the Dell support site, you should be able to download a BIOS/Firmware Update tool and update it to the latest code. Many times, if you’ve not done this for a few years it will not only fix old bugs, but it will also enable new features and possibly Windows 10 Compatibility.

• Dennis Gries July 24, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Yes, I was successful in changing from BIOS A07 to A11, but the message persisted. MS Chat helped by directly me to a download alternative, and our son just finished up the conversion. Hint — drop Bing like a load of bricks and go to Chrome.