Apple to Remove YouTube App from iOS 6

Apple seems to be keen on getting rid of all the Google links it may have. The latest such move involves the YouTube app in iOS, a staple to the devices since its first iPhone. The familiar icon is set to disappear in Apples next iteration of its iOS — version 6.

Apple giving Google the Kick!

UW Village Apple Store – Credit: Steve Krause

If you love using YouTube on your iDevice, there’s no need to panic, though. You’ll still be able to use the video sharing service on your device via the Safari browser. Google is also working on an app that will be available in the AppStore (for free, most certainly) likely being available shortly after the release of iOS6 if not earlier.

According to Apple as quoted by The Telegraph, its license for the Google App has expired and more likely than not,being that Apple and Google are direct competitors now with Google’s Mobile Android Phones, it would be silly for Apple to allow Google flagship apps on its devices further building on Google’s brand and products.

This is just one of the measures Apple is taking to diminish Google’s influence in its OS. It started with Google maps being replaced by Apple Maps with live navigation in iOS 6, announced at WWDC 2012. Nothing shocking here. Just large corporate giants being large corporate giants….

, , ,

7 Responses to Apple to Remove YouTube App from iOS 6

1. Steve Krause August 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Not a huge deal if Google releases the same stand-alone app. Granted, it’s an extra download for new devices but only a slight inconvenience.

2. Austin Krause August 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

I for one won’t be missing it. On my iPod Touch (4th gen) the YouTube app is horribly slow. Even on a fast connection videos need extra time to buffer. Comparatively, the webapp loads instantly.

3. Brian Burgess August 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Yeah, I never use it on any of my iDevices. So, I am not going to miss it. Netflix being removed would not be cool. I use it all the time.

• Steve Krause August 13, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Netflix… Yeah, that’s all my kids with the iDevices in my house now 🙂

4. Brian Maday August 12, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Oh, really guys – whether you use it or not, it’s a CHEAP SHOT. I’m a Mac guy, but I do use youtube as well. STEVE JOBS WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THIS. It’s a sign of WEAKNESS.

• Steve Krause August 13, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Yeah… I wonder if it was about Branding or a financial decision. As I think about this more, I wonder who was paying who? Was Apple paying Google to place the app on all devices or was Google paying Apple to place it?
      Interesting?.?.?.?

5. Jack Northrup August 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

No more Mac’s or Mac Books for me .. that was a stupid move.