How to Change the Screen Resolution on Windows 8

Changing the screen resolution in Windows 8 is basically the same as Windows 7.  That being said, I had a few minutes tonight so I figured I’d run ya through the process groovyPost style.

From the Metro Start screen you need to enter into the main desktop, you can do this by pressing your keyboard Start button or by Clicking on the Desktop title.

Windows 8 Metro - Launch Desktop

Once you’re on the desktop right-click on the wallpaper and click Screen resolution.

Windows 8 Screen Resolution

From here click Resolution and select your desired resolution.

Windows 8 set screen resolution

Then click OK, and you’re done!

24 Responses to How to Change the Screen Resolution on Windows 8

1. Swapnil September 18, 2011 at 10:04 am #

But on my PC the highest maximum setting available for resolution is 1024×768 but on Win 7 it supports up to 1920×1080, any workaround?

• jordan September 20, 2011 at 11:17 am #

If you’re using Virtualbox to run Windows 8 make sure you enabled Hardware Virtualization VT-x/AMD-V under System Acceleration tab.

• Md. Abu Sayed July 31, 2013 at 6:25 am #

How to Change the Screen Resolution 1280 x 720

2. TNR January 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Well, my computer’s max resolution was 1200 X 600,, I believe. The Win8 build changed it to 800 X 600 and won’t change it back.

• Maiha April 17, 2013 at 9:32 am #

hi my resolution is 640 x 480 and its not allowing me to change it. did you manager to fix yours, if so may you help me please.

thank you.

3. alireza September 12, 2012 at 3:44 am #

help
    i want to change 1366 x 768 resolution to 800 x 600 (in windows 8)
    but I can’t

• Steve Krause September 12, 2012 at 5:22 am #

What problem are you having? You should be able to just right-click the desktop. Do you not get that option when you try?

4. alireza dastjerdi September 12, 2012 at 3:53 am #

It (top picture) is windows 7 NO windows 8

5. Victor Victorov November 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Ok i have similar problem. For me there are just 2 options 1024×768 and 1280×1021 and its awful. I want to change it to higher but there are no options except this 2…

• Brian Burgess November 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

Have you tried to update your video card drivers?

6. Andy Dodd January 21, 2013 at 2:06 am #

On Windows 8 the 800 x 600 option is not there. Does anyone know any way to change the resolution to 800 x 600?

7. Kris March 19, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

So i don’t have a mouse or keyboard on my tablet…how do i do this again?

8. Maiha April 13, 2013 at 2:37 am #

hi. I cant change my resolution, as mine is shared out and only allowing me 640 x 480. and when I have installed windows 8, I have lost all my documents, pictures, music, etc.

please if anyone can help.

• Samuel June 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

I have the same problem. Windows 8 install locked the screen resolution, making many programs unusable. Also, many programs got lost or erased and I’ve had to track down and reinstall. Windows 8 is a horrible desktop system with a tablet OS ripped from Xbox on top. what’s the right answer for screen resolution change?

9. Computer nerd May 25, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Maiha , your videos and other files are all there, all you have to do is go to computer , local disk, once your in local disk scroll down till you see a file called windows.old,click that,then go to user,and click your old account name from windows 7 ,a list of files like”my videos” pictures and other stuff should show up,WHEN INSTALLING WINDOWS 8, ALL YOUR WINDOWS 7 FILES ARE SAVED IN A FILE CALLED “WINDOWS.OLD” TO GET TO IT….
    MY COMPUTER > LOCAL DISK > WINDOWS.OLD > USERS .

10. aniket July 27, 2013 at 3:58 am #

on my laptop its not possible to click on resolution what can i do ?

11. Sam July 27, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Have NOT found a good solution for screen resolution. Windows 8 sucks. Buuut I reset my video driver somehow and it bypassed the stupid windows 8 resolution bug.

12. Alan Strong July 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

windows 8 reverts to minimum resolution when i open google chrome, I can change it to full resolution (recomended) but it changes back to minimum resolution when I open it again.

13. earle August 5, 2013 at 12:09 am #

need help

• Alan Strong August 5, 2013 at 6:38 am #

I have deleted google chrome, this has fixed the problem. Is it possible that explorer and chrome were in conflict.

14. Gauranga August 20, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Lifesaver! Cant thank enough!

15. MARY April 1, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

My new computer is locked at `1280 x 720. I cannot change it and I cannot open any programs because the resolution is not high enough., Help. I can’t do anything.

This is only a couple weeks old. I think it started after my computer upgraded the windows 8.

16. MARY April 1, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

I Meant to say that it says the screen resolution is too low for internet explorer to run, and nothing else will open either., HELP Please.

17. crox May 9, 2014 at 7:07 am #

I want to believe that window 8 is the best but am having issues with the resolution, pls how do I get this solved or I will be forced to dump it for something better.