Windows 7: Create a Shortcut to Lock Your Computer

If you want to lock your Windows workstation there are a couple of different key combinations you can use. You can also create a shortcut and pin it on the Windows 7 Taskbar.

First right click the Desktop and select New >> Shortcut.

sshot-2011-12-08-[03-43-08]

In the Create Shortcut window type: Rundll32.exe User32.dll,LockWorkStation. Click Next.
sshot-2011-12-08-[05-05-16]

Give the shortcut a name like Lock Computer and click Finish.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-05-56]

The Lock Computer icon appears on the Desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-06-32]

In the Properties window select the Shortcut tab. Click Change Icon.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-06-49]

Now type: C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll into the Look for Icons in This File field. Select the icon you want to use for the shortcut and click OK.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-17-38]

Set the Run dropdown menu to Minimized, then click OK.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-24-20]

Then drag the Lock Computer icon you just created to the Taskbar and pin it.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-25-22]

Now you can click the icon to lock your computer.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-27-56]

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-30-13]

If you’re a keyboard master, use [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] then select Lock Computer. Or you can use [Windows Key][L].

7 Responses to Windows 7: Create a Shortcut to Lock Your Computer

1. Rajesh December 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

like it !!!

2. Austin Krause December 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I always use Windows Key + L, but this is very nice for touch-screens – especially if it works with Windows 8!

• KG December 11, 2011 at 2:42 am #

Wouldn’t the Control-Alt-Delete combo work? I guess it is an extra step, but it seems to work for me every time….

• Noah June 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Yes! I don’t even know why they made this article. Windows Key+L is built in!

• James Perkins January 5, 2016 at 10:27 am #

I found this useful. I use my Ubuntu workstation mouse and keyboard provide most of the input to my Windows 7 notebook via the Synergy app, and avoid touching the notebook keyboard most of the time.

Since the remote computer keyboard is not a keyboard master, the WindowsKey + L method is not honored. I have set my shortcut key combination to Ctrl + Alt + L, which is the same as Ubuntu.

I still have to touch the noteboook keyboard to enter Ctrl + Alt + Del and password, but that’s all I need it for.

3. Ritesh July 27, 2016 at 8:25 pm #

awesome !!! this is very userful. Thank you

4. Vaibhav Dingre October 23, 2016 at 2:19 am #

Thanks a million for this tiny yet most useful setting and the keyboard shortcut.