How to Use the New Live Video on Facebook for iPhone

Some of the hottest new apps to come on the smartphone scene are Twitter’s Periscope and Meerkat; these apps let you live stream video to your followers. Twitter is even beginning to integrate Periscope live streams into the social network platform. For some, it’s more of a headache, since it will be one more thing that you have to avoid auto-loading in your timeline.

Facebook is jumping on this trend with their own version of live streaming which was recently launched for iPhone and other iOS devices. Thankfully, my local cellular carrier provides subscribers with free access to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram without affecting data use. I have had the opportunity to check out the feature for a few weeks and enjoy it.

IMG_0340

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg live streaming a video to followers.

View and Subscribe to Facebook Live Streams

Live Streams can be published by verified Facebook users. If you follow celebrities and known public figures, you’ll be able to view live streams, and when they’re published, you get a notification.

IMG_0341

Facebook will display a ticker at the top indicating how far in progress the Live Video is and the amount of current viewers. When you tap on it, immediately you can start watching the event; leave a reply, which provides interaction with the publisher, who can respond in real time. Publishers can keep videos available for later viewing.

IMG_0345

If you find the videos from the publisher interesting, you can click the floating Live Subscribe button.

IMG_0354

How to Publish a Live Video

Facebook is slowly rolling out the new feature to accounts that are not verified. You can periodically check if the option is available to your account. To know if you have it, create a new post and you’ll see a new tab for Live Video.

1 Facebook Video Button

Then you’ll be prompted to allow Facebook access to your camera by going to Settings > Facebook Settings and turning on access.

2 Settings

Note: Live videos are not limited to iOS, you can view them using the Facebook app on Windows Phone and Android, and with your computer online, but creating one is limited to iPhone and iPad for now.

For me personally, I could care less about the publishing part, the great benefit is finding live videos to watch. Many technology sites I follow on Facebook, provide on-demand product reviews of the latest gadgets. Not to mention, these are interactive, so you can get even more information than the standard recorded video review. Also, with this being an election year in the U.S., popular news networks and candidates are using Live Video to reach voters.

33 Responses to How to Use the New Live Video on Facebook for iPhone

1. Melody Lane February 22, 2016 at 8:19 am #

I still do NOT have the option on my iPhone 6

• Andre Da Costa February 22, 2016 at 8:20 pm #

To view or to broadcast? Because just today alone I watched several live videos on my 4s.

• Melody lane February 22, 2016 at 8:23 pm #

To broadcast, it’s not on my Facebook app yet but is on everyone else I know.

• Katina March 9, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

How do I get started on viewing live broadcasts? I have an iphone6. Do I go to iTunes and get an app or do I start with FB? Do you know? thanks!

2. Carla March 11, 2016 at 12:39 pm #

I still don’t have the live button:( When will everyone get it??? I can watch, but not broadcast. I want to broadcast to my family that lives 4500 miles away.

3. Daniel March 14, 2016 at 11:29 am #

I got a Windows phone and I haven’t have the live button, When will I get it?

4. Andre Da Costa March 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm #

I still don’t have it, they are slowly rolling it out.

5. Florin April 7, 2016 at 6:03 am #

Hi there. I can’t stream on Facebook, on iphone 4, ios 7.2.1. I got the same message: check your internet connection. I got this message even on wireless conection. I got 3g on mobile data. Please help

6. Deborah April 22, 2016 at 3:56 pm #

The sound quality isn’t very good on my iphone. Is there a microphone I need to use??

7. David A. April 24, 2016 at 8:56 pm #

In order to live stream video for Facebook, you need to be connected via WiFi or 4G cellular; so how do you prevent an incoming phone call from interrupting your stream? I used to put my phone on “Airplane Mode” to prevent an incoming call from stopping my recordings when I didn’t need to be connected. But now with live streaming; how can you prevent this disruption?

• David April 26, 2016 at 2:35 am #

you can turn on Do Not Disturb mode

8. Nick May 8, 2016 at 10:29 am #

I had the option for live stream but now I do not.. wth.. I checked all my settings

9. Mico May 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm #

I have iphone 6 but i dont get the option for live stream .. Hayzzz pls help

10. Brenda May 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

I have an iPhone 4s and could use to broadcast live on Facebook on my phone, now I can’t anymore, does anyone know why?

• Jennifer June 2, 2016 at 6:49 am #

I am having the same problem.. haven’t been able to figure out why. It just suddenly dissapeared. 🙁

11. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 7:05 am #

What version of Facebook do you currently have? Cause I’ve figured out what you have to do, you have to go into your App Store and see if Facebook needs an update, update it then you should have the live feature back.

12. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 7:07 am #

Hi you all what version of Facebook do you currently have? Cause I’ve figured out what you have to do, you have to go into your App Store and see if Facebook needs an update, update it then you should have the live feature back.

• Nick June 11, 2016 at 7:09 am #

Im updated.. version 57.0

• Cheery July 16, 2016 at 5:48 am #

i have FB 59.0 and uses IP6… i still do not have the “live” icon

13. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 7:32 am #

Hi Nick, do you see the live icon? If not try logging out then logging back in to Facebook, Cause if you’re Facebook is updated to 57.0 version then you should be able to go live

14. Nick June 11, 2016 at 7:43 am #

nope.. still don’t have it..

15. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 8:20 am #

Ok, I’m sorry to hear that. Try uninstalling your Facebook then reinstalling it and see if you see the live icon then. Also, I forgot to ask what type of phone do you have?

16. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Also make sure that the access to your camera is turned on. Go to settings in your phone then Facebook settings and turn it on if it’s off.

17. Nick June 11, 2016 at 8:25 am #

been though everything and checked all my settings.. I had it for a bit and then one day I didn’t anymore… I have an iPhone..

18. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Ok, I’m sorry to hear that. Can you screenshot what you are seeing when you try to update your status?

19. Brenda June 11, 2016 at 8:35 am #

Because I had the same problem that you are having now, had the live icon then it disappeared now it’s back after updating my Facebook to version 57.0. Also make sure your software is up to date. Do you have an iPhone 4,5,or 6?

20. Jennifer June 11, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

I finally am able to use live. Got update to Facebook today and it appears to have fixed the problem. I have an iPhone 5 with iOS version 9.3.2 and Facebook version 57.0

21. Brenda June 12, 2016 at 6:06 am #

Ok, yes that’s good to hear. Everyone should be getting their live feature back on their iPhones as soon as you all update your Facebook app to version 57.0

22. Honey June 18, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

Got my iPhone 6s plus updated and FB but still there’s no FB live option on my status bar…what should I do??

23. Luke June 26, 2016 at 6:33 am #

I have have the live icon also
    Pliz help!
    I had it before. After updating to version 58 it disapper!

24. Julius June 30, 2016 at 1:28 am #

How to turn on camera settings? I dont know where that icon please help me i want to experience the new live video on facebook please help

25. Cheery July 16, 2016 at 5:51 am #

having same problem also… i do not have the live icon.
    FB version 59.0
    ip6 ios version 9.3.2

26. Russ September 6, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

We are doing live feeds on Facebook , I need to kill the audio out with the live feed, we just want the feed and no sound going out. Help plz