How to Update Your Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G to Froyo Without USB or OTA

Android - Froyo comes to Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G, FINALLY!

It has been a long wait for Sprint customers who have been expectant of the update since last September.  For most, they were assured that the phone’s Android update would be rolling out within the only a month or two; which seemed entirely plausible considering HTC’s Evo 4G was already running version 2.2 of Android since Summer, 2010.  The wait is finally over, as over the past few days Sprint has been rolling out Over the Air (OTA) updates containing the prized Froyo, Android 2.2.1.

Incase you aren’t in the loop with it, Froyo brings a surfeit of features and bug fixes that anyone owning a high end Android phone should have had to begin with.  The fact that Galaxy users had to wait this long for the upgrade is a bit ridiculous, but that will be soon forgotten now that it is here.  So what all is included in the Android update?  Here’s just a few highlights:

• Improved Home Screen – The entire interface and appearance has been revamped.
  • Improved Exchange support – Includes Remote wipe, security, and auto-discovery
  • Flash Player 10.1 – Awesome, can be disabled if you don’t like seeing Flash Ads.
  • New lock screen – Instead of patterns, you can use passwords or iPhone-style pin codes.
  • Install apps to the SD Card – Non-forward locked apps can run on the SD Card.
  • HTTP Progressive streaming – Via StageFright
  • Overall Improved Performance, Battery Life, and Bluetooth.

The one disappointing thing that they’ve missed however, is no added support for taking screenshots from the device.  Sure, you can root your newly Froyo’d phone and use a 3rd party app for screenshots –but I was hoping for some built-in support on this from Samsung, and it doesn’t look like that is going to happen.  With that said, everything looks good and here are a few screenshots of the 2.2.1 in action on the Galaxy Epic 4G:

Related Article:  Create Ringtones from Music Files on Your Android Smartphone

new screen lock fo randroid epic 4g epic 4g samsung galaxy froyo home screen udpate

new app drawer for your samsung galaxy epic 4g play flash videos on youtube via flash

froyo version information on samsung galaxy epic 4g new text message ui for epic 4g samsung froyo

Can’t wait any longer? Bypass Sprint and update it yourself!

I just got off the phone with a Sprint technical support rep who said and I quote “The only way to update is to wait for the over-the-air upgrade to show up on your phone.”

Well, proving once again that “Technical Support” minions usually never know what they are doing – here is how you can upgrade your Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G to Froyo in just a few simple steps.

Note: Some people have voiced concerns about their data.  This method will not erase your data.  I repeat, your data, pictures, texts – everything is safe.  This is exactly the same as the OTA update that Sprint automatically does.

Warning: Sprint and Samsung have recalled this update, almost everything on it works fine – but it might cause your video camera to malfunction.  Some users have reported connection problems, but I personally have not seen any of those.

Step 1

Download the Froyo for Epic 4G.  This update package comes directly from Samsung’s official website. (It’s listed as a Mac tool, but that is just silly…)

UPDATE: Samsung recalled the update so the file is no longer available on the official website.  You can still download a copy of it from this mirror. for android galaxy epic 4g

Step 2

Copy the freshly downloaded to the top folder of your phone’s SD card.* This can be done by plugging in your Galaxy Epic 4G to your computer via the USB charging cord that came with it.

*Depending on what Android web browser you are using, you could probably just download it using your phone with the link from Step 1…

transfer to samsung galaxy epic sd card

Step 3

• Power off your phone.
  • Now Hold Down Camera button and both Volume buttons (Up AND Down), now also hold down the Power button.
Related Article:  How To Copy & Paste Text on a Kindle Fire

This will boot your phone up into Recovery mode.

hold power, volume, and camera button to launch android recovery mode

Step 4

• Press the volume buttons to Highlight apply sdcard:
  • Press the Home key to Select it and start the update.

highlight apply sdcard

Step 5

Wait… about 3-5 minutes. The update is installing.

wait for android to update

That was easy eh?  Now your Samsung Epic 4G is running Froyo, aka Android 2.2.1.  Performance is top notch, and a whole lot of problems are solved.  I talked to Beyond_Life about this earlier and he mentioned that since it was an upgrade directly to 2.2.1 there is no need to try to Lag fix the device.  Enjoy your Froyo!

, , ,

51 Responses to How to Update Your Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G to Froyo Without USB or OTA

1. Alex March 1, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

THANKS!!! Ive tried over 10 websites to try and download this and this is the only successful one! And its easy!!! soo..good job!! thanks again!

2. Raiderspy1 March 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

It is now 3-2-2011, have you had any problems with froyo update? Any glitches at all? Please respond to my email. Since sprint pulled the update I have been nervous of installing since I’m not that phone savvy. I would appreciate some honesty. Thanks.

• grooveDexter March 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

@Raiderspy1 – Almost everything is working well, I have perfect data and voice connections.
      The one problem I noticed is the Video Recording camera is completely messed up and records at only about 5 FPS, sometimes it won’t even save a video. The regular single shot camera still works great, but I won’t be using this phone as a camcorder until they fix this.
      I’ve confirmed it with a friend that did the OTA update who is having the exact same problem as me.

3. Kiesha March 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

tried n tried more then 10 tyms n just gets to tha veryfin n tries to install but stops.

4. Todd March 5, 2011 at 10:34 am #

Installed easily, thank you. My camera is not working though. Quick error message and force close pops up then nothing…. Any suggestions??

5. carlos March 5, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

guys i was thinking about just going away but i feel in the duty to apport to this page with some usefully info:

i just got done updating with this instructions and i tested everything (camera, video camera , apps etc etc and EVERYTHING WORKS!! as of today march 6 2011, the “update file” is clean and showing no issues, i also talked to a rep of samsung and said “if you experience any problem with the camera do a master reset of the phone after the update and the problem will be resolved”
    good luck everyone!
    Carlos A.

6. Todd March 6, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Did a factory reset and camera works now. I also updated camera firmware. Not sure what fixed it. But out world great now! !

7. Raiderspy1 March 6, 2011 at 6:03 am #

Back again. I’m not a phone savvy guy, but I’m slowly learning. Can someone explain how to do a factory reset and how to update the cameras firmware. Any and all info. is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

8. Todd March 6, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Factory reset is easy. Might erase some data but won’t touch your sd card. You will just have to reinstall some apps. The ones you paid for won’t charge you again. They will say purchased in the market. Contacts of course already sync’d to google. From Home screen, select Menu> select Privacy> select Factory Reset. Try that first. If that doesn’t work you can mess with camera firmware.

9. Raiderspy1 March 7, 2011 at 3:26 am #

What is the camera fix, because I’m hearing about a firmware fix. I’m also hearing about a camera fix from XDA (that I can’t find), thats not actually a firmware fix but a download. I’m confused. Please more info.

10. Raiderspy1 March 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I feel like the dumbest person around.

what is?
    1. Epic4G_Froyoupgrade_EB13_Tool
    2. the procedure for installing camera fix, which is a .tar file.
    3.install in PDA slot

my melon feels like mush. I truely envy your knowledge.
    I need better instructions. Please.

• grooveDexter March 8, 2011 at 10:40 am #

This should fix the camera, I haven’t had a chance to test it myself yet. But I will later today once I have time, and I’ll post results back here. Note that this will probably erase some data.

From the home screen go to:
      Settings->Applications->Manage Applications-> Select All

Scroll down to Media Storage->Select Clear Data.

• grooveDexter March 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Looks like it didn’t work.

About the Epic4G_Froyoupgrade_EB13_Tool, don’t use it. It will wipe your phone and it still has the same problem as the other Froyo updates.

11. lfonseca March 8, 2011 at 10:27 am #

So, I did the update and nothing about it looks like the screen shots you have posted. any reason why? everything basically looks like the iphone…some of my icons have changed and they are more rounded (bubble like) but other than that, nothing has really changed. I was expecting to see what you have posted…not that great of an update. besides this ailment everything else works fine so far

12. lfonseca March 8, 2011 at 10:49 am #

awesome…thanks for the input. NOW, it looks just like the posted pics. I can like my phone again:) thanks again!!

13. derek March 9, 2011 at 11:14 am #

Does this download work for mac’s as well?

• grooveDexter March 9, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Good question – Actually the file that is downloaded is not used by your computer at all. It just needs to be placed on your phone and the rest can be done from there. Because of this, it doesn’t matter what operating system your computer is.
      All you need is a way to transfer the downloaded file to your phone.

TL;DR – It will work on everything; Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, etc…

14. Chris March 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

I get to the step where im in recovery mode, but when I select the it only says failed to open, no file found, and it aborts the installation. Help please?

• grooveDexter March 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Make sure that you’ve completely downloaded the file from the link above, it should be 91.1MB in size. Also be sure that is on the Root of your SD card, don’t put it in any folder. If you’ve downloaded it from your phone’s browser it will likely be in the Downloads folder and you will need to move up it up one level, so that it resides on the root.

Let me know if this helps!

15. carlos March 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Hey guys , as of today march 9 , i have had to root back to 2.1 🙁 🙁 , my SENDING mms stopped working with upgrade and tech support could not fix it.
    send mms to yourself ( a pic) and try check , the problem is sending it , u are able to receive mms but cant send. that was my bug ,my camera and everything else worked fine.

16. russiancutie124 March 10, 2011 at 9:21 am #

I tried to download the update file today, 3/10, and at 9:00 AM when i started this i was able to get the, copied fine, copied to my phone fine, but when i tried to install it it gives me error in /sdcard/ (status 2) installation aborted. when i tried to go back and redownload the update from samsung, the link gave me an error page. i downloaded the update OTA during those three days it was offered, and i just cannot stand the short battery life anymore. I used to be able to go at least a day and a half to two days without charging it, and now i can’t even let it sit overnight with a full battery without it going dead.Any suggestions?

• grooveDexter March 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

@russianc, that is strange – my battery life has significantly improved since installing the update (despite its flaws). It sounds like your install could have been corrupted. But to be sure, I would try to update the firmware first. You can check for OTA firmware updates by following the article here:

If you already installed the update OTA you will not be able to easily install the package mentioned on this page, as it is basically the same update. To try it, you’ll first have to reset your Factory Reset that will wipe all data from your phone, but it will also revert it to the original version -Android 2.1. After that you’ll be able to install the Froyo update.

However, if you go through the trouble of doing a Factory Reset it might be better to just stick with 2.1 and wait for Samsung to release a proper Froyo update that doesn’t contain any errors.

17. Corey March 10, 2011 at 11:52 am #

I’m receiving an error message that says “E:signature verification failed. Installation aborted.” What do I do???

• grooveDexter March 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

@Corey, there are a few different things that could be causing this.

1. The downloaded update file is incomplete, or corrupted.
      2. The file is improperly named, in the wrong location, or double-tagged (such as if it was named
      3. There is already an on your phone, so you have two copies of it.
      4. A rooted phone, custom roms, custom recovery, or custom firmware that is still installed could be causing a signature fault.
      5. Something else I missed…

If none of those things are causing the problem, I’m not sure what it could be. We can try to troubleshoot it further. But, a Factory Reset “should” fix it and let you install the update.

• Corey March 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Thanks for the quick response. I found out that the zip file that Samsung has posted for people to download had to be corrupt or only partial. I found it odd that it was only 10mb. I was then able to find another site that offered the REAL zip file that was 90mb and that one worked perfectly. DONT go to Samsungs site for this file

• grooveDexter March 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Groovy!! I’m glad you got it working, thanks for posting your results 🙂

18. Raiderspy1 March 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

I’m a smartphone virgin and totally new to any of this. Before I try this, I 2 questions.
    1. exactly how do you move the update to the root…since its not a folder?
    2. how do you install the camera fix, its a .tar file?

• grooveDexter March 11, 2011 at 8:40 am #

No problem, it’s a lot to learn!

Regarding the camera fix, we just published another article that explains in detail how to update your camera firmware. Here:

About moving the update:
      The file that you’ve downloaded doesn’t need to be a folder in order to move it. You can move any file you like back and forth between your computer and your phone.

All you need to do is, Connect your phone to your computer via the USB charging cable that came with it. Then on your phone Select Mass Storage, (or mount USB storage). If you don’t see an option for this pull down the notification bar at the top of your phone’s screen and you’ll find it there.
      Now your phone’s storage drive should show up on your computer. If you are using Windows, Click the Start Menu and then Click the Computer button. It should be labeled as an external SD drive or external storage device. All you need to do is drag the file onto that drive letter, as shown in Step 2.

19. toolrocks March 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

So I downloaded the file as shown below on my mac. As it was finishing downloading, it said that it was extracting something. So when I go into my download folder, there is an update folder not an file. I continued the step but it said that it could find the file. I renamed the folder and still nothing. So now i’m trying to download the file again and another page comes up with an error message. Is there anything else i can do?

• grooveDexter March 11, 2011 at 8:43 am #

It sounds like your file is automatically extracting once you download it. I’m not a Mac user myself, but this doesn’t sound right. There should still be a copy of the actual compressed zip file somewhere on your computer.

You’ll need to make sure that your doesn’t self-extract upon download, don’t let it! Once downloaded, just move the to the top folder of your phone, as shown in Step 2 (although that is a screenshot from a Windows computer).

20. Raiderspy1 March 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

I would like to thank you so much for your help. I downloaded the updated and installed the camera firmware. I tried all modes in the camera and recording- worked good. I tried the call dialing (talk) – worked good. I never used calender sync – so I’m not sure. Plus installed gingerbread launcher – love it. Checked out flashplayer – worked good. Watched some HD videos from youtube – really clear. I’m very happy. Will report back in a few weeks and let you know if I’m still a happy camper. Thanks again.

21. Raiderspy1 March 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Well here goes, after about 3 pics in sport mode, it works no longer…only vibrates then has a force stop. But so far thats it.

22. lfonseca01 March 14, 2011 at 9:28 am #

my keyboard stops working intermittently. causes a big issue with the swype which i enjoy using. any fixes for that. mostly the left side of the screen seems like it doesnt respond to the touch, not just with texting and swype. Is there a fix for this bug? i tried a firmware update, through the home screen, menu, about phone, etc…none available. havent tried switching default keyboards yet, but ill give it a shot. any info would be great on this fix!

23. Todd March 14, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Can’t snooze on alarm clock any more! Any suggestions?

• Bill El March 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

My Alarm Clock did not work either. I just downloaded another free alarm clock from Market.

24. Raiderspy1 March 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

Here’s a question, If you downloaded and installed 2.2 ,and your having issues, can you go back to 2.1? And how?

25. Raiderspy1 March 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

Update: word is new update coming next week.

question: The febuary update was 2.2.1. The new update is scheduled to be 2.2.1 also. What will have to be done to download this?

• grooveDexter March 18, 2011 at 7:42 am #

I’ve talked to Sprint Advanced tech support and they said the new update should just roll-over the previous faulty one. But I guess we’ll see for sure. If it doesn’t, I’ll post a solution 🙂

• Corey March 18, 2011 at 7:53 am #

You da man Dex

26. DaveA March 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

3/18/2011 4:12:46 PM –> Did the process as outlined and everything worked fine including cam corder. Thanks for taking time to post instructions. My guess is that since I filly puled the trigger S&S will post the official version tomorrow!

27. Raiderspy1 March 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

When I installed 2.2, evidently I lost samsung widgets. They use to be listed right above the regular widgets, and now their gone. Is there anyway to get those back? And How, if so.

28. Jim Vetor March 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

I did the download from my Epic 4g notification. Since then music player starts playing music without me touching the phone. I sure didn’t appreciate waking up to Jingle Bells in the middle of the night. I should have known better then to upgrade before the bugs were out. I have been advised to do a hard reset. Anyone else experienced and fixed this problem some other way? Thanks.

29. Vu March 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

So if you have a rooted phone and it may cause the “signature fault” then will a factory reset unroot the phone?

30. JR May 22, 2011 at 8:22 am #

Just wanted to let you know that the way you have the hard re-set in this article works. Most if not all websites do not mention the camera button, they only mention the vol down and power button.

Thank you !!!

31. Olivia May 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

Hey tried downloading it… but when i got to “apply” i click home bu after that says failed to open, installation aborted.

32. Kayla August 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

I’m getting a Samsung Epic soon, and I was wondering if it would come with the Froyo update automatically? Like, as soon as i start using the phone, it’s already with Froyo.

33. Modelos August 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most i