How To Uninstall Internet Explorer 11 Preview from Windows 7

Last we told you that the Internet Explorer 11 developer preview– currently included with Windows 8.1 preview – is now available for Windows 7. If you’ve installed it on Windows 7 to give it a test and aren’t happy with it, it’s easy to get rid of.

Uninstall IE 11 Preview Windows 7

Click the Start button (or hit the Windows key) and type: appwiz.cpl then hit Enter.

start

Control Panel will open, click the Uninstall a Program link in the left column. Then scroll down and right click on Internet Explorer 11 and select Uninstall.

uninstall cpl

Verify you want to uninstall it and a restart will be required to complete the process.

restart required

Launch IE after the restart and you’ll see you’re returned to the version you had running previously, in this case it’s Internet Explorer 9.

Internet Explorer 9

It’s interesting that Internet Explorer 11 developer preview is included in the Windows 8.1 preview and will run on Windows 7, but it isn’t compatible with Windows 8. But this makes sense in the end because most people will be upgrading their Windows 8 system to 8.1 when it’s available at the end of August.

Why Would I Try Internet Explorer 11 in the First Place?

Just like Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7, it doesn’t have the modern interface, but it does have the performance enhancements under the hood. According to Microsoft’s official Internet Explorer blog, IE 11 utilizes you CPU more efficiently for better performance and load time. It also includes support for the WebGL standard which allows developers to program cool 3D experiences by utilizing your computer’s graphics card. It also includes tight support for HTML5 so video content will look great and it will support closed captioning.

But of course, this “preview” is still a beta, and everything might not work on it the way you’d like, so it can easily be uninstalled. Web developers on the other hand, will most likely want to keep it so they can program awesome sites and web based apps for the rest of us!

Also, if you’re in IT, you might want to take a stab at this new version in your testing environment and see what works, or what proprietary enterprise software it may break.

For example, check out the HTM5 Fishbowl in IE 11 or several of the demo’s available on the IE test drive site.

, ,

15 Responses to How To Uninstall Internet Explorer 11 Preview from Windows 7

1. Mouffi July 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

I removed IE11 from my Win7 x64 fr because it leads to a malfunction of MS Money 2005 fr. This has also been reported with Win 8.1.
    Hope this bug will be corrected because I like the high speed and few other stuff included in this IE version…

2. walter July 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

reading your how to remove internet explorer 11 ,I was hopeful to remove it but not so
    it does not show up in remove programs. I also downloaded 10 from M/S but it tells me
    10 is already installed checking under HELP tells me 11 is installed.
    The problem with 11 is IT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING .
    If possible please suggest how to reinstall explorer 10 back again. Thanking you in advance
    Walter Kowalenko.

• Hanwen August 2, 2013 at 2:04 am #

I had the same situation that Windows Internet Explorer 11 is not listed in the program list. Any other workaround to remove IE 11? I am not sure if it is relevant, but after I installed IE 11 on my PC yesterday morning, I cannot use remote desktop to connect to my PC from laptop. It caused black screen on my PC, and it is not accessible again. The only way is to hard reboot.

• Ali365Dash September 29, 2013 at 5:15 am #

I have the same problem as well, I just like to install beta versions and this one didn’t even work with plugins, so I went to uninstall it. I followed the instructions, but when I tried to find it, it wasn’t there. SOMEONE HELP!

3. Mouffi July 30, 2013 at 9:03 am #

@walter
    On my own I didn’t see this Groovy post before to uninstall.
    So to be sure it will be clean I’ve just used the System Restore (C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe in Win7) as a restore point as been made before IE11 installation.

4. walter August 2, 2013 at 5:21 am #

I had even more troubles with IE11 namely it started opening some programs in a very small
    window where you could NOT SEE OR USE any operational buttons.
    I was very lucky to find this article by Bogdan Popa , it relates to IE 10 BUT IT WORKS JUST
    AS GOOD ON IE11,,,,,,,,,,Below is the link worked 100% for me.

5. paul August 20, 2013 at 5:17 am #

I also didn’t see an uninstall option under “Uninstall or change a program”.
    However, once you click “view installed updates” you will be able to find it

6. web October 1, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Nope… can’t uninstall IE-11 at all… don’t even show up ANYWHERE to remove it.
    So, all these instructions are worthless on the net.

Resetting to previous restore point is not an answer to load back junk already removed.
    If you found the way to remove it, please post it.

7. Glen October 4, 2013 at 1:41 am #

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates > Internet Explorer 11

Uninstall – Yes – Reboot.

• mark November 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks Glen. This worked.

• Glen November 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks Mark! I too was confused by not seeing it in “Programs and Features”, as it’s an update on some machines and an install on others. :-)

• Michele December 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Still having problems with adobe flashplayer and viewing yahoo videos and other items requiring flashplayer. any suggestions?

8. John October 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I too found IE11 preview to be a monkey wrench thrown into the works. Super slow, sluggish, to no response, timeouts. I got rid of all but 2 add ons, which it sometimes tells me “will speed up browsing” – Though “Do Not Track Me” is 30 secs I’m willing to spare. I had that before, and it rarely came up. With IE11 Preview, it seems the big improvement is “THEY CAN TRACK YOU BETTER” – It’s no secret that’s where the money is to be made. All this “We value your privacy” nonsense, shouldn’t even be said. I always assumed you did!

It’s like walking around a jewelry store, and then mentioning “I’m not stealing, by the way”
    Kind of makes one think that you are. Is anybody getting this? — This is why I deleted Chrome, and installed Mozilla Firefox. They SHOW you how to protect yourself, and offer you the tools up front.

Though even that goes slow, because any site nowadays has all of these ancillary programs running like a big salad, with too many spices. It considers Java Script untrustworthy, because the security certificate expired? I think? I’m really not into all of this crap, as it’s so time consuming. Technology is advancing, but the paradoxical misery index it causes human beings cannot be overlooked. As usual, the corporations come first, they need to spy on you, so they can tell you what to buy. Ever calculating more ways to separate you from your money.

I guess I could always go back to Chrome, and just live in a glass house like all the other sheeple. But I can’t do it.! I REFUSE!!! In fact, though I loath computer nerdery, it’s a necessary evil. So I’m now pushing myself into data encryption, which is a wonderful secret to no-nothings like me!

Do you PGP? – It’s free! Get all your friends to do it too!

9. alex November 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Just to thank you about your good advices regarding how to uninstall IE 11. It worked great now I got IE 10 which work great with Windows 7. This new IE 11 gave me a lots of unstable issues and it makes my PC very slow.
    Thank You again.

10. Cindy June 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

I uninstalled IE11 and rebooted but when it started back up, I have a blank screen. Nothing comes up. Any suggestions as to how I get my desktop to come back up?