Use a Keyboard Shortcut to Instantly Move Windows Between Monitors

One of the most common tasks on a dual-monitor setup is moving windows from one screen to the other. Traditionally this involves dragging the titlebar across screens via the mouse. Of course, there are tools like DisplayFusion that make the job easier, but I’ve found that a simple keyboard shortcut provides the best solution of all.

Dual desktop switching

The keyboard shortcut is: Windows Key + Shift + Left/Right Arrow

image

This shortcut will instantly transfer windows from one screen to another while attempting to maintain window size and relative position. This is just another quick groovy tip that I use everyday, and I hope it helps out anyone else who uses two monitors on a Windows computer.

13 Responses to Use a Keyboard Shortcut to Instantly Move Windows Between Monitors

1. willphule October 30, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Excellent tip – thanks!

2. Ronda October 30, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Great tip. I will use this all the time now! Thank you.

• Steve Krause October 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

yeah no kidding same here! How did I miss this one hehhe.

Nice find Austin

3. Steve Krause October 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Windows 7 and Windows 8? How did I miss this one!

4. Deven Kapoor October 31, 2012 at 8:44 am #

This is a good one Austin.
    Maybe you can help me find a way to create kb shortcuts for typing in my username.
    Every time I have to login to a secure company site it asks for my lengthy user name.
    How do I do this? I want to create a custom shortcut key strokes for username as well as password.

• Austin Krause November 3, 2012 at 9:44 am #

http://www.autohotkey.com/ would be my first choice, just store script file in a secure or encrypted folder. I’ll have to write up a tutorial on how to do this, great question!

• Devenk November 6, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Look forward to the tutorial. Email me when you do this. Hope you are doing well.

5. Robert Byrd October 31, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Does not work for me on my Win 7 Toshiba Satellite.

6. KONRAD POTH October 31, 2012 at 9:00 am #

SUPER TIP! That’s something I need to do a dozen times a day and you have just saved me a LOT of effort.

• Steve Krause November 4, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Keyboard shortcuts for the Win! Another huge time saver for me is Windows Key + L to lock the screen.

Great for stepping away and not leaving you computer up for anyone to access.

7. Herb November 2, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Thanks, a great timesaver

8. Mike Rothman November 3, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Love this one, Austin. Where do you come up with all this great material?

9. Ganesh August 8, 2013 at 12:13 am #

I have 2 monitors at work, but while at demo time I am giving from another machine which has a single monitor where I am logging into my pc remotely, then the short cut key (Windows key+ Shift+ Left/Right Arrows keys) is not working in my demo pc( which has only one monitor).

In that case I am facing many problems like if I open any window it is going to another monitor (some times) which i am unable to access from the demo pc because it does not know how many monitors does my remote pc have?

How can I resolve this problem? Its really causing a lot of trouble for me.
    Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks