Share Internet from Your Android Smartphone to Transformer Prime

This was tested using both a Galaxy Nexus and a Droid X. On both devices, I was able to successfully get USB Tether and WiFi Hot Spot to work without having to root, and without paying extra money on my phone bill. There’s great developers over at June Fabrics that created PDaNet.

When I first got my Transformer Prime, PdaNet had a tablet version that was in beta. This enabled you to use Bluetooth to tether a smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus, to a tablet, the Transformer Prime in my case. This worked great until the update to Android 4.03 Ice Cream Sandwich. Once updated, something broke. Until now.

June Fabrics has taken the beta sticker off their PdaNet Tablet version with this new update. In my experience, Bluetooth still doesn’t work, which is fine with me considering the limited throughput and the extra step of changing an IP address and a port. But what this does is something I’ve been missing out on. The new version of PdaNet lets you to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot. Like a lot of customers, I pay for mobile Internet access that’s barely to the standard they advertise. When I tether, I’m not using more Internet access. I’m not using Internet access on both my tablet and my phone at the same time. At this point I’ll direct my phone’s Internet to my tablet.

Here’s how to make it work.

I’m going to start off under the assumption you have already installed the necessary applications on the necessary devices. If you’re using this for WiFi tether, you’ll need to install Foxfi Beta on your smartphone. For a Bluetooth tether you only need PdaNet. Currently the Bluetooth tether isn’t working for on my Galaxy Nexus and a Transformer Prime. If you have better luck, write in and let me know.

Related Article:  Official Google AdSense Android App Tour

The process is straight forward after installing the application. Open PdaNet 3.25, and select Enable WiFi Hotspot. This will open up FoxFi. Then check Activate WiFi Hotspot. Select your WiFi network, a WPA2 password and you’re ready to broadcast some 3G WiFi goodness.

After activating the Hotspot, grab your Android tablet and scan for new access points. When it’s discovered, tap connect and type in your password. You’ll have access to the Internet on your tablet, or any other device that supports WiFi.

Doing a quick speed test with, I got speeds of 941 kbps down and 1,227 kbps up. Not bad at all.

If you’re using USB tether on a netbook or a laptop, there’s a great SMS client that lets you read and reply to your SMS via your computer. Here’s a quick shot of what the client looks like.

24 Responses to Share Internet from Your Android Smartphone to Transformer Prime

1. micah February 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

foxfi does not work with android phones by HTC like my evo’ and pdanet is not longer in the market except the tablet version so this didn’t work for me.

2. Mat Lee February 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Really? Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Are you rooted? You can try wifi tethering by open garden. Can you do it through bluetooth?

3. Daniel February 27, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Worked for me. Downloaded pdanet 3.25 and FoxFi and rebooted.

Open pdanet and chose Hot Spot which then took me to FoxFi to input the hotspot info .

Used a Kindle Fire to detect WiFi signal and connected successfully

This is on non rooted Samsung Stratosphere.

• Mat Lee February 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Very cool, thanks for the update! Anyone else play with it and get it working?

4. Tony February 28, 2012 at 10:41 am #

I’m thinking about snagging a Prime and using the bluetooth tether on my Galaxy Nexus…

Curious about that and if it’s something this simple – if you go to Settings -> More -> Tethering & Portable Hotspot… is your Bluetooth Tethering enabled?

• Mat Lee February 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

You can do bluetooth tethering if your device will work. On my x it works but not on my prime. Plus the bluetooth speeds are terrible. You are better off going USB if you can. But if you are using a tablet you really can’t so WIFI hot spot if your best bet.

5. Brandon Hutchinson March 3, 2012 at 12:02 am #

Thank you SO MUCH for this. This is totally simple and allows me to connect my Transformer Prime to my Galaxy Nexus and enjoy the free tether goodness. You are THE MAN!!!!!!

• Mat Lee March 3, 2012 at 6:59 am #

I know right! I thought it was pretty awesome. Thanks for the love!

6. Robert March 12, 2012 at 7:06 am #

PdaNet has a new 3.5 version and the Foxfi wi-fi hosting works fine for my friends Mac. Given Verizons new and expensive 4G faster than broadband wi-fi antenna service, this is by far the most affordable internet connection available.

• Mat Lee March 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Very nice, I’ll have to check out the new version. Not that we have LTE here yet, but it will come in handy once we do. Thanks for the great comments everyone!

7. David April 6, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Thanks. I setup bluetooth for my HTC Incredible (verizon), with my ASUS Prime. This was easy and works great. It’s obviously slower than a WIFI hotspot or wired tether but it’s faster than nothing and no additional costs. Best of all, no Root required and the Apps are free. Thanks again.

• Mat Lee April 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Very cool, glad to hear it works! Thanks for the comment.

8. frm.bhb April 25, 2012 at 2:10 am #

Great ! I’m going to try this on my Ainol Android tablet. Is it possible to use my blackberry curve 8520 as wifi hotspot so I can access net on my Ainol Aurora Android 4.0.3 device ?

9. frm.bhb April 25, 2012 at 2:16 am #

Dear Mat Lee ! I hv a doubt. On my Ainol Aurora tablet, I use 3G usb stick to access internet. I’m able to surf the net/visit websites. But when I want to access Google play, the app is searching for wifi connectivity on my tablet and do not go ahead. I’m stuck without any luck. Tried many settings.

Is it possible for me to use the Andriod tablet which has internet through 3G Datacard and use the same tablet for both wifi hotspot and also wifi receiver, so the google play works ! Is it possible ?

Hope I’ll get an answer here. Please help me.
    God Bless you.

• Mat Lee May 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

As far as I know I don’t believe it’s possible to set up AP then connect to it from the same device. You could maybe do some weird loop back ssh tunneling stuff, but I doubt even that would work. Can’t you set up the data card on another device and then connect to that with the tablet? Like a laptop or something? Then broadcast that out?

10. echo May 15, 2012 at 5:37 am #

i have foxfi installed on my droid bionic, when i try to connect my prime to it it just does not work, it cannot obtain the ip address, any thoughts?

• Mat Lee May 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Interesting, that’s verizon if I’m not mistaken… I did find this on the site Foxfi play entry.

1. On some models if you run into WiFi problem after using the Hotspot, simply reboot your phone to clear the issue.
      2. For some Samsung phones if your computer is not able to get an IP address, try to turn on WiFi on the phone first and make sure it does not connect to any WiFi network, then turn on FoxFi.

I know it’s not a samsung device, but that might work. Maybe a clear out of the cache in the app settings? Sounds like somehing is up with DHCP. Maybe try assigning it an address and see if that works. Let me know what happens, I’m curious!

11. echo May 16, 2012 at 10:11 am #

it works now. all good!

• Mat Lee May 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Glad to hear. Thanks for the comment!

12. Chrissie June 2, 2012 at 6:34 am #

So glad I stumbled on this, just received my new tablet today and my dongle wouldn’t work in it. Followed your instructions with my mobile phone and tablet and hey presto I’m online. Cheers 🙂 x

• Steve Krause June 3, 2012 at 1:44 am #

That’s great news Chrissie! Thanks for the feedback. We’re glad our site helped you out with your new device. Be sure to take a look at all our archives with the new unit. A lot of great stuff under

See you around the site I hope!

• Mat Lee June 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it and it helped!

13. Chrissie June 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

this worked treat for me when I did it with my mobile and 7″ mid, but now I’m having problems with my new superpad, it recognises the hotspot, i enter passward, then it looks like its going to connect – connecting -authenticating – disconnecting. it repeats this and never connects. I’ve tried the bluetooth option but nothing there. Ive even tried with my dongle but it doesn’t work either. Any suggestions would be appreciated guys. thank you in advance

• Mat Lee June 9, 2012 at 8:21 am #

What version of Android is the superpad? Did you try rebooting it? Maybe assign it it’s own address instead of letting it DHCP. Try turning off the password authentication, or try a different authentication, maybe the superpad doesn’t support it?