How to Save Windows 10 Spotlight Lock Screen Pictures

Windows 10 includes a limited collection of desktop backgrounds to choose. And, the Windows Spotlight feature, previously limited to Windows 10 Home, became available in the Pro edition via the November Update.

It provides a travel log of stunning background images taken from around the world on your Lock Screen. Many of these are desktop worthy, too. Here’s how you can find and collect those pictures.

Find Windows Spotlight Lock Screen Pictures

Windows Spotlight Images are not stored in the most obvious of places. First, open your user folder, press Windows key + R then type: %userprofile% and hit Enter.

When File Explorer opens up, you’ll need to turn on Show hidden files and folders. Click the View tab then check the box: Hidden items within the Show/Hide group.

show hidden files and folders

The AppData folder will now appear in your User folder. Open it then navigate to Local > Packages > Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy > LocalState > Assets.

The images will appear as blank files, select all of them Control + A then copy with Control + C. Create a new folder in your Documents folder or on the Desktop then paste the files with Control + V.

local state

Open the folder containing the blank Files, click File menu > Open Command Prompt > Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Rename to Jpg

Type the following command: Ren *.* *.jpg then hit Enter. This batch command will convert the blank files to JPEG images and make them visible.

batch rename

Your mileage might vary, though. I don’t know if it’s because I am using a limited data plan, why I don’t have many of these Spotlight images stored. Some of the files will be asset images, used as resources for app icons; you can delete what you don’t need.

Related Article:  How to Create Your First Microsoft Sway

spotlight wallpapers

You can periodically check the folder for new images. If you want an easier way to obtain new wallpapers for your desktop, check out our article on how to download and install Windows Themes.

12 Responses to How to Save Windows 10 Spotlight Lock Screen Pictures

1. Charlie Wilburn February 3, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

I extracted these files from a Windows 10 Home and a Pro version (both have the November update applied) and although both had some pictures (more on the Home edition), neither had the beautiful pictures shown on the lock screen. The pictures we want are probably buried somewhere in similar fashion to these but this is not the location.

• Andre February 3, 2016 at 8:38 pm #

I notice that’s the only showing up every morning for the past few weeks now. I don’t know what happened to the others. If you find them, please do share in the comments. Thanks!

2. Ziggy February 6, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

Three Lock screens showed up on my laptop after following your steps. Others converted were either “junk” or were reported as “corrupt” and couldn’t be opened.

3. Ziggy February 6, 2016 at 4:09 pm #

@My own reply:I just found this: Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Web. There, you’ll find separate folders labeled Wallpaper and Screen. The Screen folder contains more images for the Windows 10 lock screens.

• Brian Burgess February 6, 2016 at 4:29 pm #

Ah, nice. Thanks for the tip Ziggy! mmmm…. looks like there are also 4K images in there as well. Interesting.

• captain0chris February 7, 2016 at 4:11 am #

Thank you, was looking for that one picture of a biplane over some islands and finally found it where you point!

• Andre Da Costa February 7, 2016 at 10:09 pm #

That was the first place I looked. Those images have been there since I installed the RTM.

4. John February 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm #

when I pusch File\Command Prompt\Open Command Prompt as administrator\it only shows up as
    C:\users\slick\Documents\Preview>Spotlight wallpaper does not appear.I have them saved in Documents.

5. Yawhann Chong March 8, 2016 at 8:11 am #

Great tip! Found this article after looking for a way to save some of the Windows Spotlight lock screen pictures.

However, you can skip the first couple steps by navigating to “%localappdata%” from the Run command. No need to turn on show hidden files either.

Another useful power tip is to sort all the asset files by size and copy only the ones greater than 400 KB.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

6. Dinamicostudio April 19, 2016 at 12:43 am #

I don’t understand yet …

7. Aimee June 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks for this! My dad saw a photo on the lock screen that he wanted to save as his desktop background and it was a lot more complicated than I realised. Thanks for the step-by-step guide, worked perfectly =)

8. John October 20, 2016 at 8:42 am #

Thank you for the help. I honestly did not think this would work but to my surprise it did.