How to Reset the Windows 10 Mail App

Whether you like it or not, the Mail app is the default and first introduced in Windows 8. It was horrible in Windows 8, although started getting better in Windows 8.1.

However, now, in Windows 10, it has improved dramatically. Unfortunately, it still has issues with syncing mail and calendar items between accounts. Here’s how to reset it to help fix the problem.

Reset Windows 10 Mail App

To reset the Mail app so it starts syncing your mail again, go to Settings > System > Apps & features.

apps and features

Now, scroll down until your find Mail and Calendar. Click on it and then Advanced Options.

advanced

There you’ll find a Reset button, go ahead and click it and wait while the reset is complete (the amount of time it takes will vary).

reset

The biggest annoyance of this is you’ll need to sign in again for things to start syncing up again.

restart

Note: Resetting apps will work with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition build 14379 or later. To get that info, hit the Start button and type:
winver and hit Enter.

winver

This problem has happened to me once, and since resetting the Mail app, everything has been working great. Hopefully, Microsoft ends up fixing this bug.

Have you had a syncing issue with the mail app in Windows 10 Anniversary edition? Leave a comment and let us know if resetting the app fixed the problem in the comments below.

10 Responses to How to Reset the Windows 10 Mail App

1. nangd August 24, 2016 at 2:10 pm #

I have no Advanced Options. Just “Mail and Calendar” and under that “Microsoft Corporation” and then the MOVE and UNINSTALL buttons. I’m at Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, Build 10586.545

2. nangd August 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

I see that your build number is later than mine. Windows Update says I’m up to date so I don’t know why mine’s so far behind (14379 vs my 10586.)

3. R. Menon August 29, 2016 at 9:03 am #

It is a disaster in Win10x64 Anniv. It syncs, butdoesn’t get all the records. Better continue with Outlook or Thunderbird.

4. George August 31, 2016 at 4:44 am #

I have the same ..No Advanced options in the Mail & Calendar App

5. George August 31, 2016 at 4:48 am #

And also have Version 10586.545

6. Steve September 18, 2016 at 6:03 pm #

Now that I reset the mail and Calendar I get an error message: 0x8007042214393.187/Window version-1607( OS Build 14393.187)I just got this back from Geeksquad,next step is throw this Dell XPS 8900 out my window and be done with it,nothing but a gat-damn headache since I got it Nov 2015 for $1200.00+.What a waste of cash!!!!!!!!!

7. Steve September 18, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

Since I can not set up my email, use my good ol faithful yahoo account referred to the above problem and my next decision of throwing it out the window (XPS 8900 for $1200+)

8. drkarasheed October 4, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

My Email client for more than 10 years is ‘MS outlook’.
    That was a migration from ‘outlook Express’
    I have many folders and sub folders on my Outlook.
    Can I ‘download’ or ‘Import’ all these folders, sub folders and sub sub folders to the Modern outlook or live .com ?
    Also for my safety I used to keep the .pst files on a seperate folder, on another drive that is not the system drive. Can I still utilize this folder ?
    What is the equivalent of the Modern outlook.

Please advise.

9. Bill Brooks October 9, 2016 at 9:39 pm #

Followed all direction but after selecting advanced options to get to reset I only get Mail and calendar on screen no reset option???

Mail 10 did the same to me in 2015 but got it sorted and now after the upgrade ENDLESS problems
    how can a upfrade go backwards??????

10. Nan D November 18, 2016 at 1:05 pm #

I’m now on version 1607 Bld 14393.447. I go to Settings, Apps & Features, scroll down and see

Mail and Calendar 742 MB
    Microsoft Corporation 11/12/16
    ==========
    /Move/ /Uninstall/

That’s a blue bar under Microsoft, but there’s no Advanced Options.