Windows 10 Tip: Remove the Cortana Search Box from Taskbar

One of the new features in Windows Technical Preview build 9926 is a new search box where Cortana lives, and it takes up a good chunk of space on the taskbar. If you would rather have more room on the taskbar for icons, you can get rid of it.

If you’re moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you will like this trick because it makes user interface look and work like you’re used to. And the cool part is, you don’t lose access to the search and Cortana feature. Here’s a look.

Cortana Desktop

Hide Cortana Search Box from Taskbar

To remove it, right-click an empty area on the taskbar and go to Search on the menu, and there you have the option to disable it or just show the search icon.

Search options

First, here’s a look at showing only the search icon – which looks similar to Cortana when you activate it. Just click it to bring up Cortana search.

ask anything

In the following example I completely disabled it…all gone. This gives you a nice and clean look to the taskbar and easy access to the Start button. I should also mention that I removed the Task View icon too.

Search box gone

So now you might be wondering how to search? Simple, hit the Windows Key or click Start to bring up the menu, the search box is right there just like in Windows 7. Of course now the difference is you can either talk to Cortana or type in your query.

Start Menu

I am hesitant to write ‘how to’ articles about a beta version of an OS as things can change in the final release. However, this seems like a feature that will make it to the final version, and if something changes we’ll let you know.

Do you want to see this ability available in the final version? Leave a comment below and tell us your thoughts.

, ,

16 Responses to Windows 10 Tip: Remove the Cortana Search Box from Taskbar

1. Amit Kumar January 29, 2015 at 7:19 am #

Hii Brian,

Thanks a lot for sharing this well expained tutorial about removing the Cortana Search Box from windows 10 Taskbar. After installing new OS, i was configuring my pc and thanks to your article article i knew – how to easily remove the Cortana Search Box from windows 10 Taskbar.

Keep helping by sharing such article 🙂

• Joe December 12, 2015 at 8:33 pm #

Said example does not show on my hp 15 – there is no arrow as shown in your example. What’s next?

2. Ellen February 1, 2015 at 11:24 am #

Love the tip on removing the Search bar from the the Taskbar. Thank you. Space is so limited on my laptop taskbar

3. Roy February 21, 2015 at 1:47 am #

This search bar is so annoying, thanks for helping me to sort this issue.

4. Test Dummy March 10, 2015 at 1:36 am #

I want to remove it completely. The search bar is a freak show. I don’t want an image of the day and other random crap when I’m just searching for something on my computer. I’ve turned everything I see off and the picture of the day still comes up and celebrity stories I don’t give a crap about. What the hell, Microsoft.

• sammijo August 7, 2015 at 7:07 pm #

Never mind. I don’t think he’s a shill. I just think voice operated “help” is taking over the world. Apparently, unless you can write your own operating system, you are stuck with Siri, OK Google or now…Cortana.

Guess I’ll just try and make friends with her…

5. George August 3, 2015 at 10:12 am #

I’ve got the july 29, 2015 release of windows 10. There is NO way to disable or remove the search bar. Every time I click on “hide search bar” the check mark does NOT go away. I do NOT want this crappy microsoft cortana on my system. I didn’t need it on july 28 and I don’t need it now.

• Ellen August 8, 2015 at 9:33 am #

Ok George .. hope this helps 🙂 Just right click the taskbar itself. Click on Search … then click “hidden” If this doesn’t immediately remove the search bar, restart. It will be gone.
      Ellen

6. Fed August 26, 2015 at 10:26 am #

Great tip!! Many thanks

7. Mark September 20, 2015 at 4:47 am #

My problem with it is every time I scroll a webpage it makes the search menu pop up. It gets very very annoying quickly. I want to be able to completely totally remove it so that it no longer exists on my system.

8. dcgirl November 24, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

S.O.S.!!!!
    Someone please tell me how do I delete Cortana from my Windows 8.1 Nokia Lumia phone? I know how to disable it but I want to remove it for I have far better use of storage space than it.

I am one of the few who doesn’t want to talk to or communicate with my phone/device any way besides typing it. Plus even without using Cortana it still drains the battery which is ridiculous!
    I’ve been searching for over an hour for how to do this but haven’t found what I need.
    Someone please help…
    And PS am not computer genius am semi computer illiterate so please speak basic lingo.
    Thanks in Advance

9. bruce December 1, 2015 at 12:11 am #

please take it out of the next build,. or give complete ability to Uninstal it. i have 0 use for it.

10. dcgirl December 4, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

Help Again!!!!!!
    Please someone how do I remove Cortana from my Windows phone (8.1)?????
    I already have it turned off yet still somehow it drains my battery without any use by me. I’m one of the few that doesn’t want to talk to their device. I want to completely delete Cortana off my phone. Any ideas????
    Thanks

11. dcgirl December 4, 2015 at 5:57 pm #

Please anyone…look at my above comment. I need Cortana to go away

12. dcgirl December 4, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

FYI…
    This is removal from a Windows phone running 8.1 not a PC

13. peter January 24, 2016 at 10:56 pm #

research states cortina cannot be removed. Also a cautionary note. When cortina forced it’s self apon this machine. it removed some aspects of windows 10. Micro soft has us over a barrel. the only way of fixing this delema is to pay micro soft to do it