How to Print from Photos and Other Windows 10 Apps

A lot of computer users (and IT support) despise dealing with printers, and hope to see a completely paperless home and office one day. But until that magical day arrives, the fact remains, there are times when we still need to do it.

If you’re a new Windows 10 user and want to print from one of the new built-in Universal apps, you might not be sure what to do. Here’s a look at how to print from apps like Photos and Microsoft Edge, and a workaround to print a story from the News app.

Print from Windows 10 Photos App

When you have a photo open, select the photo you want to print, and then select the More actions (…) at the upper-right corner and select Print from the dropdown menu. Or, simply hit Ctrl+P on your keyboard.

Print Menu

Then you can select the printer you want to use. And, just like normally printing in Windows, you can choose other options like saving it as a PDF or send to OneNote. You’ll also have options for how you want to manage the quality of the printout.

Printing from Other Windows 10 Universal Apps

Printing from other Windows 10 Universal apps is a completely different story right now. In fact, in several of the built-in apps, the option is simply not available.

But, you can print from Microsoft Edge, either hit Ctrl+P keyboard shortcut, or select the More actions button and then Print.

But unfortunately, you cannot just print what you highlight in an article, which is a great way to save ink and paper when printing from other modern browsers. For more on that, check out our article on how to print only selected text from web pages in Windows.

Related Article:  How to Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

print selection

If you do just want to print what you’ve highlighted from a web page, you can open the page in IE. For more on that, read our article on how to find and use Internet Explorer from Edge in Windows 10. Of course, the other option is to change your default browser. To do that, check out our guide: How to Change the Default Web Browser in Windows 10.

Work-around to Print from News app

If you don’t see any print options in other build-in Universal apps like News, you’ll need to use some type of work-around. In the News app if you find an article that you want to print out, select the Open in Browser icon at the top of the app. Then you can print from Microsoft Edge, or whatever you set your default browser to.

Open in Browser Windows 10 News App

Say what you will about Windows 8.1 and the Charms bar, but it allows you to print from more apps than you can in Windows 10 (right now anyway).

But remember, Microsoft is treating Windows 10 as a service, and more functionality will be added on a regular basis via updates. So as the OS matures, hopefully we’ll see improvements to printing in Universal apps.

12 Responses to How to Print from Photos and Other Windows 10 Apps

1. Karen Rose June 1, 2016 at 2:57 pm #

I officially hate Windows 10—so much so that I am typing this AGAIN. What I typed first was discarded because I didn’t enter my e-mail address.
    .In the last 45 minutes, I have tried every way I could think of to print a photo from my computer. I finally gave up and looked for help, and I have attempted to use every suggestion above (that I could understand, anyway) to print from Windows Photo Viewer. Unfortunately, my photo got sent to “One Note” and there were incomprehensible screen messages at that point that told me nothing. I don’t even know what One Note is yet, and I certainly didn’t send one of the saved pictures on my computer to it.

I was satisfied with Windows 7, but was forced to upgrade. I

• Shirley Ward September 15, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

To Print a Picture in Windows 10. September 15, 2016

l. Open Picture
      2. Right Click
      3. Click on OPEN WITH
      4. Click on INTERNET EXPLORER
      4. Click OK
      6. Click on Printer (small Printer ICON on TOOLBAR)
      7. PRINTS

2. ELAINE MCLAUGHLIN June 18, 2016 at 8:19 am #

I agree. I used to be able to set up a single photo to print four copies per page in order to make art cards that I hand assemble. There is NO function that communicates with my printer and allows me to do this simple task now. GRRRR.

• Shirley Ward September 15, 2016 at 5:32 pm #

See above.

3. Deborah Mell July 10, 2016 at 12:30 pm #

The above instructions do not go far enough to allow me to print my photos. When i click on the ‘print’ command, the printer options screen appears with a preview, but there is no way to proceed from that point. There is no ‘OK’ button or ‘Print’ button to tell the printer to finish.The options screen runs off the bottom of my computer screen, so there is the possibility that there is a button down there that I can’t see. I have tried to move the screen up or resize it to no avail.

• Carol Grimm August 23, 2016 at 7:43 am #

I have the same problem as Deborah. I was able to print with no problems with Windows 7.
      After I enter the size of print I want, the printer, etc. there is not “print” box for me to touch with the mouse to get a print. The options screen runs off the bottom of my computer screen and I cannot move it up., Please tell me how to print a photo!

4. Adele Sabbah July 26, 2016 at 6:47 pm #

Same here. With 8.1 my tool bar would appear. All I had to do was click on the print button on the tool bar, select my printer, then click on “print”. And I could copy anything from my screen – even paused images from videos on Yutube! Now, Windows 10 provides no tool bar, button, nothing anywhere which allows me to print such things. As someone else also wrote, “GRRRR!”

To answer Karen Rose’s question, though, One Note is a printer. You may simply have to select your printer if it is not a One Note. Whenever Windows 10 provides a way to print photos, that is! Good luck!

5. Sandra August 9, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

I too can’t figure out how to print a photo with Windows 10 photo viewer, but I can print from File Explorer if I right click on the photo and go from there.

6. Eileen August 11, 2016 at 8:12 am #

This is a ridiculous programme .Like me there are many people out there who use their computer for making individual photos for scrapbooking and a lot of other artwork .Now it seems we are no longer being catered for by this company.Before windows 10 programmes worked well.Paperless offices might be find for a business but not for crafters.

7. SHEN August 24, 2016 at 12:31 am #

8. Hein August 24, 2016 at 8:09 am #

How is it that there is still no reply on the above comments?
    We can’t get past the printer setup screen as there is no “OK” or “PRINT” button or action to take from there?

9. Hein August 25, 2016 at 1:07 am #

Figured it out last night.
    If you are not seeing a “Print” button, it likely that your print dialog box is bleeding off the bottom of your screen.
    The obvious solution is to drag the window up, until you can see the button (it is located VERY low on the dialog box)
    If you can’t move the dialog up any further, change your screen res to something higher, resize the box as needed and change your screen res back.