Outlook Mac 2011: How To Delete an Email Account

If you’re using Outlook 2011 on your Mac, there will be times when you need to delete an old or unused email account. Here’s how to do it.

The other day I showed you how to add Windows Live Mail via POP3 to Outlook Mac 2011. Now that you know how to add an account, what about removing one?

First, launch Outlook Mac 2011. From the toolbar click Outlook >> Preferences.

Outlook Preferences opens. In the Personal Settings column click on Accounts.

outlook settings

The Accounts screen comes up. This will list each of the email accounts you have set up in Outlook. Here I just have one, but highlight the one you want to delete in the left panel. Then at the bottom click the minus button to deleted the selected account.

If you want to save your emails, or delete them, click the Advanced button on the Accounts screen.

advanced

Then select if you want to have your emails deleted from the server after a certain amount of time or not at all.

save messages

After deciding on what to do with your existing emails click Delete on the verification message.

After that you’re brought to the Add an Account screen. That’s all there is to it. Now you can add your new email address or just close out of this screen.

account deleted

, , ,

13 Responses to Outlook Mac 2011: How To Delete an Email Account

1. don February 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Hmm, this is pretty lame. The most common use case for deleting an account is because the account is gone! I want to keep my mail but delete the account so that send/receive doesn’t keep getting errors. There is nothing on the server because I’ve switched service providers and the old one isn’t going to do me a favor and keep my mail around. Now, send/receive is poisoned forever. The best I can do is tell outlook to not get mail automatically for the dead accounts. Please provide another way to keep my mail so I can delete the account. Thanks.

• Brian Burgess February 25, 2012 at 1:25 am #

Before you delete your account, click advanced, and check Leave a copy…

2. Don February 26, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Thanks for the quick response. Hmm. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something. Are you saying that if I click the check box to leave a copy “ON THE SERVER” it will actually leave a copy on my mac in Outlook after deleting the account in outlook? My understanding is that checkbox just tells outlook which emails to delete on the service provider’s system after it downloads mail. I’ve always had that checkbox checked and set to 7 days so that I could check email on the web as well a on my mac for a short while after it was delivered. As far as I know that checkbox has nothing to do with what mail is kept in outlook locally. I’m afraid to try this or lose all my email since it’s not consistent with what I believe that checkbox is used for.

3. nicky February 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

I would also appreciate an answer to the above question.

• Dublin January 21, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

I would also like to hear your solution to the issue above. My email server has been switched and I am now getting my emails from a new server. I need to delete the old email account that is constantly looking for the old server to get my emails. Unfortunately, when I highlight the account and click on the minus symbol outlook throws an error and crashes while it is trying to delete the account. Any suggestions?

4. Rui February 22, 2013 at 5:52 am #

I was to stupid not to inform my self before I’ve deleted the account… I thought it would only stop to sync. I didn’t “click advanced, and check Leave a copy”. How can I recover my mails?!!! Is it possible?
    I haven’t received the box you describe “Are you sure you want to delete…”
    It was a gmail account with SMTP…
    Please help!

Thanks

5. Scott February 28, 2013 at 8:57 am #

I deleted my account in preferences, but when I click the outlook icon, it still brings up my old mail account. how do i get rid of the old stuff? Thanks

Scott

• Dolores February 2, 2014 at 7:26 am #

Did your query get solved? I still see the unwanted account in the from field. thanks, dolores.

6. diwnload scapst.exe March 14, 2013 at 4:29 am #

It happens with everyone that their Outlook PST file data sometimes become inaccessible due to various reasons and this is really panic and irritating situation for users and to overcome this problem I make use of Scapstexe. But lastly while i make of third party tool it help me out.

7. Mujtaba March 19, 2013 at 12:18 am #

hi Brain,

thanks a lot, it saved my time.

8. Jean March 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

I was worried about losing all the emails as well, but went ahead and tried this (“Keep on server” in the Advanced settings) since I didn’t have too many emails in that account.

I’m happy to report that Outlook did indeed keep all the email from the deleted account.

9. Luis May 5, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Why don’t you all just create a PST file to backup your email?

10. Kristin May 27, 2013 at 8:48 am #

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this guide. It was better than the one put out by Microsoft as I was unable to find a version for Mac. This worked great and was something I didn’t want to guess at. Thanks!