Outlook 2010: Create a Rule to Move New Messages to a Specific Folder

If you get several emails each day from the same sender, your inbox can get out of hand quickly. To keep your inbox organized, create a rule to move emails to a folder when they’re received.

Launch Outlook and highlight the message from the contact you want to move. Right-click it and select Rules >> Create Rule.

sshot-2011-11-06-[04-47-17]

The Create Rule dialog opens. Check the From box – where in this case it’s Newegg.com. Then click Select Folder.

Create Rule

The Rules and Alerts window opens, create or browse to the folder you want the mail moved to. Click OK.

sshot-2011-11-06-[04-56-42]

The Create Rule window will remain open. The box next to the folder you’re moving the emails to. Click OK.

Rule Created

Success. Outlook will start the rule on existing messages. Click OK

sshot-2011-11-06-[04-59-35]

Outlook moves everything from that sender to the folder you specified.

sshot-2011-11-06-[04-59-49]

This basic rule that lets you gain control of your Inbox – bring order to chaos.

, , ,

8 Responses to Outlook 2010: Create a Rule to Move New Messages to a Specific Folder

1. Walley November 20, 2011 at 6:10 am #

Why can’t I specify the folder to send the email to? When I select the folder, nothing happens.

• Sinan February 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Awesome job! This is the only atrccaue fix for this problem that I have found. A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!

2. Daniela February 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

You’re the best, bfiutaeul weblog with great informational content. This is a really interesting and informative post.

3. G April 24, 2012 at 9:08 am #

If you want a rule to move ALL messages, try to use a rule “with a specific date range” for vacation coverage. ie. Rule says move all messages within a specific date range for 6/1/12 to 6/10/12 to “Hold” folder. During your vacation, all of your messages will be routed to this folder and keep your inbox from maxing out. It would stop automatically when you return. Then you only have to work the emails in the Hold folder when you return. Okie?

4. Regan August 10, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Hi Can someone plse guide me as to how to set up an autoreply on proxy folders. I am desperate and needed this done like yesteryear.

5. Dragonlady March 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Just installed Windows 7. I guess I now have an updated version of Outlook Express. When I set up a rule to always move incoming mail from a specific sender/group the message is “copied” to the file specified but is also still in my Inbox and I have to delete those messages… way too much work. In my old Outlook the message was immediately (upon receipt) moved to the specified folder and gone from my Inbox… how do I get this done now?

Thanks

6. Viswanth April 23, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Can someone suggest an Outlook rule that does the following.

As soon as the message arrives, i need to move a copy of the message to another folder (local PST file). The key is to have the message online as well as in the local pst.
    I tried to set a rule, but all the messages are automatically delivered to local pst though my default data file is Mailbox.

7. shadow February 8, 2014 at 9:48 am #

I carefully setup these rules and when I go look into the subfolder there not moved? how do I find out where they went. I know for a fact I specified all create correct settings/steps?