TeraCopy Moves Large Amounts of Data Between Drives Faster

If you have a large amount of data to transfer from a Windows computer to an external or network drive, doing it natively in Windows takes a long time. Here’s a look at the free program TeraCopy which lets you transfer large amounts of data much faster.

Transferring large quantities of data between drives in XP and Vista is slow. But Windows 7 has improved the transfer speeds compared to earlier versions. Still, my favorite utility for this job is TeraCopy. It moves multiple files easily in an organized way.

First, download and install TeraCopy. It’s free for personal use. It copies files faster by using dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. It also employs asynchronous copying to speed the file transfer between drives.

Install TeraCopy

Recently my Windows Home Server system drive crashed. I’m in the middle of rebuilding it. I have to copy over large amounts of data. In this example I’m copying a 12 GB folder of MP3 files from an external drive to my Windows Home Server.

There are two ways to add files to TeraCopy to transfer. Either drag and drop the files into the UI or right click the file or folder you want to transfer and select TeraCopy. I find using the context menu easiest.

Context Menu

TeraCopy opens. Click browse and select the destination to copy the files to. Click OK.

The transfer process begins. You’re able to monitor the progress and can pause or skip files that are duplicates. If you have a large amount of files, minimize the UI while it completes so you can work on other projects.

Related Article:  Tips for Making it easier to log in to Windows 8.1

Copy in Progress

You’ll find that TeraCopy transfers the files much faster than transferring them using Windows. Another neat feature is it remembers your last target. So, if you’re transferring various folders to the same directory, you don’t need to browse for it each time.

Last used Location

In TeraCopy settings, under Shell Integration – you can set it to to the default copy handler. TeraCopy doesn’t pop up a message when the transfers are done, so I check Play Sound When Complete.

shell integration

Windows 7 does a decent job transferring individual files. But it you have multiple files with gigabytes of data, TeraCopy is a great time saving utility.

9 Responses to TeraCopy Moves Large Amounts of Data Between Drives Faster

1. nc January 10, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Very nice soft and very nice review.

• Steve Krause January 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

From the team here at groovyPost – Thanks!

2. Brian Schmitz January 10, 2012 at 10:46 am #

“Recently my Windows Home Server system drive crashed. I’m in the middle of rebuilding it.”

Maybe this can be taken offline, but can you post a step-by-step for rebuilding your WHS system drive? The same thing happened to me about 8 months back and I haven’t had the time to look up if there are any other resources out there for WHS system drive restoration. I have all of my files backed up elsewhere, so I can start again from scratch if need be. I just hate seeing 5.5TB just sitting there on my desktop not being used!

3. John L January 10, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I have used Teracopy for quite a while and am very happy with it. I use it for backing up things like photographs. I usually install a second hard drive in my machines but I hate raid so all I do is copy across the stuff I want to save. Teracopy makes this easy as when I want to copy across the files/pictures I just select the lot and paste it over selecting “Skip All” when it asks and it then just copies across the new stuff without me having to search it all out. To me having mirrored drives that would do the same is pointless as when it gets to the stage that your main drive is ready to be wiped and started again then so will the mirrored drive. By saving what I really want to keep I then just wipe the hard drive and start again and can then copy over the stuff I have saved. On my laptops I use a portable drive to do the same thing.

• Steve Krause January 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Have you tried the Microsoft SyncToy to keep things in SYNC?

I’ve been using that to keep drives in SYNC with an external drive for backup. Works pretty good.

4. Vixter February 20, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I have tried Tera copy earlier. But to be honest sometimes It is crashed. I searched For Other copying Utilies. The better One I found Is Super Copier, which is a freeware also. Try once.

• Steve Krause February 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Super Copier – Good tip. Will give that a review. THnx

• Brian Burgess February 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

@Vixter. Actually I have Super Copier on my list to write up!

You think it’s better than TeraCopy?

5. Paul B April 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Recently tried to copy a large amount of data to a new, larger drive. 1.7TB. Teracopy consistently choked after only a few hundred GB. After baby sitting it for half the day (verifying files, clean up, start the copying again, wait for it to choke again) I gave up. Started chucks at a time via vanilla windows (7), it did the job smoother and faster than teracpy did! WHile I was waiting for a chuck to finish I went and found FastCopy. FastCopy is rock solid, it finshed off the other half of my 1.7TB no problem.

Teracopy reckons it can handle blah errors, but frankly i feel that it IS errors. Not sure what kind of resuming fastcopy can do, but it won’t crash on you in the first place so it really doesn’t matter.