How-To Send Text Messages With Speech-to-Text On Android Phones

Talk to android to type and send messages

When you’re driving down the road, it’s never easy, safe or legal to reply to a text message.  On Android you can write text messages using Speech-to-text, and the voice recognition is surprisingly accurate.

To some this feature might seem basic, but being a first-time Android, it took about a week before I found it on my own phone so this quick guide should take the guess-work out (and show off a groovy Android feature at the same time).

So far I’ve tested this feature with Google Voice, Google Talk, and the built in Messaging app that comes stock with Android phones.  Use whichever you prefer!

How To Text Message On Android Hands-Free

Step 1 – Open your Messaging App

In your messaging app Tap the compose field and the SWYPE keyboard should appear.  At the bottom right of the keyboard Tap the Microphone icon

This also works the same way for filling in the contact field!

speech to text on android

Step 2 – Speak!

A new little box should appear labeled Speak now.  That’s all you have to do!  Just Say what you want to be typed and Android will get to work.

Note that if you want to type punctuation you will have to literally say each punctuation mark.  In the case of a period, say “Period” and so on.

Example: To type – space needle, seattle washington – literally say

“space needle comma seattle washington”

talk to type on androidandroid speech recognition

Step 3 – Confirm and Send

Make sure that your message was entered correctly, and then Tap the Send button.

say your text messages on android

Conclusion

Sending hands-free messages is a very groovy feature that’s included for free on the Android operating system.  Of course, why stop with text messages?!  This feature will work in nearly any field where you can input text.  As long as the Microphone button appears on the keyboard you should be good to go.

, , ,

11 Responses to How-To Send Text Messages With Speech-to-Text On Android Phones

1. Vadim September 12, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Hey Dex, how good does this actually work? Voice recognition has never worked very well at all. My iPhone for instance it “kinda” works but nothing I would rely on. I can only imagine what would happen if it transcribed my speech incorrectly and sent a text to my girl friend!!!!!

“love you babe!” vs. “loath you babe!” could be a big deal… lol

• MrGroove September 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

Voice recognition on my iPhone sucks.

2. grooveDexter September 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

The voice recognition I’m getting on my Galaxy S is rather accurate. I do find that it has a little bit of trouble with “vowel-heavy” words, but for everything else I rarely see a mistake.

3. Beyond_Life September 13, 2010 at 5:49 am #

It freaking sucks on my phone. And that is just because the Dutch language isnt supported. And we Dutch people are weird people when it comes to talking english. So the phone doesnt reconize the english words good enough.

• MrGroove September 13, 2010 at 9:40 am #

I don’t agree. From my extensive travels across Europe, the Dutch “people” speak English amazingly well! ;) ahhh…. I love the Netherlands! Great people, great food, easy to communicate and beautiful windmills!

4. Jeff December 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

My Phone Dosn’t even have that key when the keyboard pops up. I have been looking for a way to do this and am totally stuck. It does have voice recognition, because for google search or something there is a mic. button, just not w/ test messages???

5. Nancy December 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I want that microphone icon on my iPhone. I miss it! Is there an app that can add it to my iPhone ‘keyboard’?

6. Swami Vivekanand January 20, 2012 at 5:41 am #

I together with my guys have already been reading the nice items on your web page while the sudden developed a terrible feeling I had not thanked the website owner for them. All the ladies appeared to be as a consequence glad to learn them and already have clearly been using them. Appreciation for truly being indeed helpful and then for picking out some important topics millions of individuals are really desirous to understand about. My very own sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

7. maggie March 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

i do like the voice the only thing i do not like is it sends a text instead of the voice. my contacts would rather hear my voice then a text

8. Dj June 15, 2013 at 1:10 am #

How to send the text, fine & dandy……. it’s opening the thing when I receive one that’s the problem. It’s been saying it’s “downloading” a voice text my friend sent today for going over 8 hours now! It’s now a brand new day & it’s still not accessible. How do I open the darn thing?!