How-To Disable Or Modify UAC Notification Level for Windows 7

Windows 7 Logo :: groovyPost.com

The Windows 7 UAC (User Account Control) notification is probably one of the most noticeable upgrades VS. the Windows Vista notification.  Microsoft must have been listening to all those Apple PC Vs. MAC commercials.  :)

Honestly, I think the method Microsoft used to improve the Windows 7 UAC was brilliant.  Rather than caving into Apple (or the user community for that matter) and making the OS less secure by removing the UAC notifications, Microsoft placed the control in the hands of the user by allowing them to adjust the level of notification using a simple slide bar.  Very Groovy AND secure indeed!

How To Disable or Modify the UAC Pop-ups in Windows 7

1. Click the Start Menu.  In the search by Type in UAC, then above the you’ll want to Click Change User Account Control.

Screenshot - Open the Windows 7 UAC Notification GUI Tool

2. The User Account Control Settings window should appear.  On the left, Click & Drag the Notification Slider down so that it says Never Notify. Click OK to save and finish.

Screenshot - Modify Windows 7 UAC Notification Settings using the GUI Tool

All done!
If you selected “Never Notify”, the Windows 7 UAC pop-ups should stop appearing completely.  I personally would recommend keeping your UAC turned on especially if your frequently logged in with an account that has administrator privileges.

Disable UAC using the System Registry

Another method to disable the UAC is through the System Registry.  Note, this is for advanced users only.  That being said, here’s a quick Step-by-step.

1. Click the Windows Start button and Type regedit

Windows 7 Screenshot of opening the registry

2. Browse to the following registry key:

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem”

3. Double-Click the EnableLUA Key on the right and Change the value data from 1 (UAC Enabled) to 0 (UAC Disabled).

How-To Disable Windows 7 UAC using the Registry

That’s it! A reboot will be required for the change to take affect.

Questions, Comments totally lost? Drop us a comment below, or Join us in our Free Technical Support Community Forum!

, , ,

17 Responses to How-To Disable Or Modify UAC Notification Level for Windows 7

1. shockersh October 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

honestly, i’ve never bothered with the UAC because the windows 7 i felt wasn’t that bad. Now that I see how easy the GUI is however, i just set it to the 2nd from the bottom.

thanks for the heads up

2. itan March 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

Does this technique disable this “Install/Remove of the Service Denied!” notification?

• MrGroove March 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

@Itan – Sorry, not sure I understand the question?

3. Seay March 26, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

Hello everyon! I was messing with th UAC slider and now i’m having a major problem. And now i can’t get past the darn thing. I tried to go to the user account control setting and change everything back. But that UAC warning woud pop up, You know the one that say…do you want to allow the following program to make chang to you computer. And the only option it allow me to choose is no and yes woud be grayed out. I tried to diable the UAC in the registry but it keep giving me an error message saying it can’t be edited. If anyone could help I would truly be greatful. Because i don’t want to have to reinstall everything all over again. I also tried the restore to and earlier time option but like i said. The UAC warning would pop up and say no on it own without giving me the option to say yes.

• iNsANiAc June 9, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Mate… What a SPEW huh?!? Sounds like you got a REAL problem there… What you COULD do is… No, hang on… that won’t work… :( O.K, What about… Nah… that won’t help either… HHhhmmmm… I know! I GOT IT!!! Go to the Start menu, type ‘syste….’
      AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELLLPP! No…no, no, no….. NOOOOOOOOOOO…..! ……

4. ancjob August 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

great solution – worked perfect

5. Steve Schofield August 22, 2010 at 5:22 am #

What tool did you use to create the pictures / callouts?

• MrGroove August 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

Hi Steve, I use Snagit from Techsmiths. Best thing out there although it’s around $30

6. Seay August 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot my password to log in. But anyway, thank for all the help. Everything is fine now.

• Jennifer October 11, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

hello,,, i was wondering how you fixed this problem? My fiances computer is doing the same thing and i have triedEVERYTHING to fix it but the uac wont let me do anything! there isnt even a spot to enter the password if there was one. Its stressing me out not being able to fix this considering I am able to solve most other computer concerns. my email is martej22 at hotmail please let me know how you fixed this… thanks again

• Cleve February 22, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Hi Jennifer,

I went to the start window, typed in “regedit” and then when it opens go to “Policies” and select “System” and then double click
        the EnableLUA key on the right and Change the Value Data from 1(UAC Enabled) to 0 (UAC Disabled). Restart your computer and then check the UA and see if it’s changed to Never Notify and do whatever it is your needing to do BUT then I would change it back asap and restart again.
        Hope this helps you also.

• kratos November 21, 2011 at 5:46 am #

how did you fix UAC windows pop up please help me thank you

7. Cleve February 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

I’ve tried this uac fix and it still won’t allow me to change the
    system to “do not notify”. Not sure what to do next!

• Brian Burgess February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

@Cleve do you have administrator rights on the PC you’re using?

8. Cleve February 22, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Yes I do but was still having problems but with the help I found
    here I was able to resolve this.

Cleve

9. Cleve February 22, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Problem for today, the HP 4500 wireless printer I installed was
    working fine until today. Adobe 10.1 has been updated and the
    print on both sides is turned off and it still won’t print. Any
    help?

10. Ram August 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

THX Worked for me too
    UAC is a pain
    would people do it in enterprise level
    does it compromise security ?