Disable Delete Confirmation Dialog Box for Windows 7, Vista and XP [How-To]

Windows VistaWhen deleting a file or folder in Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP, the default behavior will prompt you for confirmation verifying you actually want to go forward with the delete.  Some people call it the “second chance”.  Personally, I find the prompt annoying.  If you agree and want the dialog removed, follow the groovy steps in the how-to below for Windows 7, XP or Windows Vista.

Before we begin let me quickly demonstrate the default functionality.  Be default when you delete something, the following Delete Confirmation Box displays:

Shot taken from Windows Vista however Windows XP and Windows 7 Dialog box is very similar

image

By following the 2 steps below, the above dialog box will no longer be displayed.

Disable Delete Confirmation Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista

1:   Right Click the Recycle Bin Icon on your desktop

image

2:   Uncheck Box Display delete confirmation dialog, Click OK

image

That’s it, your all done!  You will no longer be prompted when deleting files and folders!

, , ,

11 Responses to Disable Delete Confirmation Dialog Box for Windows 7, Vista and XP [How-To]

1. Alex February 9, 2008 at 4:25 pm #

Thank you. Keep up the great articles!

2. cindy March 25, 2008 at 4:01 pm #

i did this on another pc but couldn’t remember how to do it again for my life and have spent the past hour trying to figure out where to find the setting. this was so easy. THANK YOU.

3. MrGroove April 3, 2008 at 8:36 am #

@ Cindy

Thanks Cindy & Welcome to the site! I appreciate the feedback!

4. Michelle December 30, 2008 at 1:24 pm #

This doesn’t apply if you are trying to delete multiple files at once. You will still get the “confirm multiple file delete” dialog box. I’ve yet to find a way to turn that annoying thing off.

5. MrGroove December 30, 2008 at 4:17 pm #

@Michelle – Nice catch! I’ll have to test that out. Thanks for the FYI!

6. Selvan August 18, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Like Michelle, I too can’t stop it with multiple items in the trash. In fact, I can’t stop it even with a single item.

How else can I accomplish this?

Thanks

7. Selvan August 18, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Oops, sorry, my mistake. It does work as it should with a single item or not.

I was actually looking for a way to remove the Empty Recycle Bin confirmation (‘Are you sure you want to permanently delete this or these items’.

Do you know a way?

Thanks and sorry for for the mistake.

8. NSF November 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

You’ve probably just saved me a full year of my life’s worth of time just from this stupid confirmation box.

• MrGroove November 25, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

My Pleasure ;) – Have a year on me! I like that. heheh

9. Phil Duran January 30, 2012 at 7:39 am #

The problem with that setting is you now have a blackhole on your desktop. If you have an errant drag and drop onto your trashcan, the file is deleted immediately and not moved to the trash where you can return a file back to your desktop. I would like to be able to put stuff in the trash and then click empty trash when I am ready to trash the files and not be prompted by a window after I have selected empty trash from the popup menu. Sigh, so Microsoft. So many little things not done right.

10. Geebert March 26, 2012 at 5:15 am #

perfect, someone switched this off and I’ve spent ages wondering how to get it back on!