How to Unlock your iPhone or iPad with a Single Touch – Like Previous Versions

With the latest release of iOS 10, Apple made a significant change in the way the Home Button works to unlock your device. Although Apple had their reasons, for example, to give you more options while the phone is locked by swiping left (Launch Camera App) or right Apple iPhone 6(access information from your apps), for the majority of us, this added step to press the button to unlock the phone is driving us crazy.

Now don’t get me wrong, I get it. This is innovation! Well, think about this Apple (or perhaps you already did…), many of us long-time Apple device users have likely run into failures of the Home button after several years of use. Now factor in this new requirement to continuously press it to unlock the device. Sounds like a disaster to me, at least on iOS 6s devices and earlier.

So, let’s not waste any more time and get right to what you want – How to disable the extra click to unlock an iPhone or iPad on iOS 10.

Restore iOS 9 Touch ID Default Behavior on Apple Devices using Rest Finger to Open

While trying to find this, I noticed that Apple made an unusually strong effort to bury it deep in the iOS settings. Thankfully, the option is there.

Step 1 – Tap Settings > General > Accessibility > Home button. Toggle on Rest Finger to Open.

file file1

Your Apple device Home button will now behave just like it did in iOS 9 and earlier. Goodbye, “Press home to open.”

When combined with new functionality such as Raise to Wake and the old method of unlocking your Apple device, the experience is so much nicer. I don’t know why Apple didn’t make this the default. Oh yeah, Widgets. If you’re using a device such as an iPhone 6 or later, which supports Raise to Wake, you get the best of both worlds. You can review widgets if needed and easily unlock the device. For owners of older iPhones, this might be a good reason to upgrade to one of the more recent models.

iOS 10 otherwise is a great update with numerous refinements throughout. If you haven’t updated yet, make sure you check out our previous article for what you can do to prepare. If you want to find out what new in iOS 10, check out our rundown of some of the new features and functions.

Tell us what you think, do you like the old or new way or are you still running an older version of iOS?

, ,

13 Responses to How to Unlock your iPhone or iPad with a Single Touch – Like Previous Versions

1. Kevin October 12, 2016 at 6:25 am #

This option is NOT available to iPhone 5C. The “Rest Finger to Open” option is not available because “Touch ID” is not active on iPhone 5C.

2. Don Cocking October 12, 2016 at 7:11 am #

Thanks for the info on the home button. We have an iPhone 5c and unfortunately we don’t have the option to toggle on the Rest Finger to Open option. Any further advice on how to fix this problems

Thanks
    Don

• Steve Krause October 12, 2016 at 7:55 am #

Hi Don. So yeah… the issue is Apple disabled the “Slide to Unlock” option in order to give you more features from the home screen. Unfortunately, for the devices that don’t have Touch ID, there isn’t a workaround. At least not yet anyway.

I feel your pain. Although my iPhone 6 has Touch ID, my iPad does not. It’s annoying.

We will keep an eye out for a fix for you!

-Steve
      groovyPost.com

3. Jim D October 12, 2016 at 7:17 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! That was driving me crazy. I stated Siri rather than unlockig my phone so many times I wanted to scream. I’m happy again (well, happier anyway).

4. Nathan October 12, 2016 at 8:15 am #

Very nice indeed! Thanks

5. Martha Graham October 16, 2016 at 11:42 am #

I tried it & could see no difference. I finally settled for assisted touch but I don’t like it. Hoping a geek can restore my swipe to open.

• Steve Krause October 16, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Unfortunately, with iOS 10, the swipe is gone. 🙁

Perhaps a 3rd party app will add it back however as least for now, Apple has not given us a way to use swipe anymore to unlock a phone.

6. Ayub October 17, 2016 at 3:31 am #

Hi,
    This option is not available on iPad Air

• Steve Krause October 17, 2016 at 4:42 pm #

Unfortunately, Touch ID is only supported on the newer device including iPhone 5s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, or iPad mini 3 or later. So if your devices doesn’t support Touch ID, you will need to still hit the Home Botton to unlock.

7. Cindy October 18, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Thank you, Steve. There was some sort of satisfaction in the ‘slide’, but since it isn’t available anymore even though I still instinctively try, I really appreciate your advice.

• Steve Krause October 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm #

You’re very welcome. Hope to see you around the site Cindy.

8. Daniel November 6, 2016 at 1:38 am #

I regret I upgraded my iPhone 5c to iOS 10. Now, there’s no way to return to iOS 9. I have to press the Home button twice to unlock, and not just that. The worst thing is when I play games or use apps, it suddenly stops the game and take me back to the Home screen. Upgrading to 10.1 cannot fix yet.

9. kay krause December 6, 2016 at 11:28 am #

I got locked out of my Apple ipad, called Apple direct talked to a Manager, he used my desk top computer and i had to load itunes?? Thank goodness I had the Cloud to recover my data, worked very well since, only took 6 hours and several teck customer operators thou