Install Office 2013 Side by Side with Office 2010

If you’re currently using Office 2010, you might be ready to start using Office 2013. To use it, you’ll need to be running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Vista and XP are not supported with the new office suite.

Note: For this article, I’m installing the 32-bit version of Office 365 Home Premium Preview on Windows 7 Ultimate. I currently have Office 2010 Pro 32-bit installed on my system.

office 2010 start menu

First, download the Office 2013 installer for the 32 or 64-bit version, the choice is yours.

Home Premium Preview

After the Click to Run file is downloaded, start the install by running it as Administrator.

run click to add as admin

The first part of the Office 2013 install kicks off.

Install running

If you’re running it on Windows 8, it’s going to connect to the Microsoft account you’re signed in with.

connecting to account

For Windows 7, you’ll need to sign in manually. You can use which ever @live, @msn, @live or @outlook account you want, but remember, with all of the new software and technology coming this year from Microsoft, its integrating everything into a seamless experience.

If you use  a lot of Microsoft products and surfaces, I recommend using one account. This makes it much easier to keep your documents, SkyDrive, Music, email and Xbox together under one account.

Then work through the simple Office 2013 install wizard.

Wrapping Things Up

When it’s done, you’ll have both versions of Microsoft Office installed on your system. This is nice so you can test and try out the Office 2013 Preview and still have your familiar 2010 standing by too.

both versions Office Start Windows 7

One thing to note is Office 2013 takes over your office 2010 docs by default. You’ll see the new Office icon set on all of your files. Of course if you don’t like the new Office suite of programs, you can easily uninstall them

11 Responses to Install Office 2013 Side by Side with Office 2010

1. obviousman August 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

So what if you want to upgrade Office 2010 because you don’t want two instances of Office on your workstation?

2. Greg Barnett November 9, 2012 at 2:13 am #

In previous Office versions, the new Outlook always uninstalled the old version (i.e. impossible to have both versions available). Can you confirm that both will co-exist happily??

3. Juan Carlos Leyva January 29, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Hello, yesterday I installed the Office 2013 Professional Plus with the Microsoft Home Use Program, it downloaded a 500k file and installed perfectly, can I uninstall my previous version (2010)? I tried looking at the office 2013 size in the Uninstall menu but size doesn’t appear, does this means it’s using the 2010 files as core? thanks!

• Brian Burgess January 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

You can uninstall 2010 without losing any of your documents. You can uninstall it via Programs and Features in Control Panel.

4. Nigel February 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

I’m having programs getting office 2013 to run even after install. Should I unistall my office 2010 and then unistall office 2013 and then reboot and reinstall office 2013 . will it all work again ?

5. stefani June 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

bought a new cpu and had office 2013 installed. do not like it. I want my 2010 back. can I install 2010 from my disk? do i have to uninstall 2013?

• Donnie W August 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

I have both on my laptop. I can choose either one to open files, although Office 2013 takes over by default. Icons will be 2013 version unless you open a file within Office 2010. As far as your 2010 disc, If you have an unused slot on the license that came with the disc there should be no issues at all installing the older version.

6. Mark August 28, 2013 at 5:53 am #

I’ve installed Office 2013 into a different directory so that it did not overwrite Office 2010. I can use both, but when I switch from one to the other, it goes through a “configuration” process that takes 2 or 3 minutes. I’ve seen this going from Word 2013 to Word 2010, going from Word 2010 to Access 2013, going from Excel 2013 to Word 2010. So far there has been no loss of functionality that I’ve observed, just this odd delay.

7. Jeanette December 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

I have Office 2013 and Office 2010 installed by choice however the default is Office 2013. How can I change the default back to Office 2010 but keep Office 2013 installed.

8. garry January 31, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

I just bought office 2013 home and business and currently using office 2010 home and business. i don’t want 2 versions of office on my PC. if i delete office 2010, will i loose my settings such as internet email, calendar and tasks etc..
    Garry