How To Import iTunes Playlists to Xbox Music in Windows 8

Recently I wrote an article about the Xbox Music update in Windows 8 / RT. And one of the cool new features is the ability to import your iTunes playlists to the Xbox Music app. Here’s how to do it.

Here I created a few custom playlists in iTunes 11. The default playlists like “My Top Rated” and “Recently Added” won’t be imported, just the ones you create.

Current iTunes lists

Import iTunes Playlist to Xbox Music

Launch Xbox Music and from the Home screen click or tap My Music.

My Music

On the next screen select Playlists.

Playlists Menu item

Then right click, or on a touchscreen, swipe from the top down. On the menu bar at the bottom, select Import Playlists.

import Playlists

A message will come up letting you know Xbox Music looks in your Music library and playlists created in iTunes. Select the Import Playlists button.

Import Message

You’ll get a pop-up message letting you know how many playlists were added.

playlists added

The imported playlists will show up in your Xbox Music at the top. If you have playlists in iTunes and Xbox Music with the same name, a number in parenthesis next to it. Just like if you have multiple files in a directory named the same.

imported playlists showing at top

You’ll be able to access the songs from the playlists in other areas of Xbox Music too.

Artists

That’s all there is to it. Before this update, you could create Playlists in Xbox Music, but the ability to import existing ones comes in handy. If you have an Xbox 360, the playlists will show up via what Microsoft calls its “Music in the Cloud” service.

Playlists on Xbox 360

, , ,

6 Responses to How To Import iTunes Playlists to Xbox Music in Windows 8

1. Guy Coffee March 30, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Hi Mr. Briggs: Do u know if Xbox Music has the feature of keeping track of how many times 1 has played a tune like iTunes does?

I bought a new desktop pc with Windows 8 and am having trouble downloading all the iTunes music that I have stored from an external HD. I may be contacting u for instructions on how to do this.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes at least 2d or 3 times but still no luck. Any ideas? I install iTunes first than I download from my external HD all my music. When I activate iTunes a select a song to ;lay I get the msg that sez: “The song ………. coulde not be used because the original file could not be found. Would u like to locate it?” I then have two options a Locagte button or a Cancel button. When I click on the Locate button I have several files or options to choose from buy NO further instructions.

• Brian Burgess March 30, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Connect your external HD, copy all of your music to your Music folder in Windows, launch iTunes, then copy the music from the My Music folder to iTunes.

Also, it’s possible your iTunes Media Folder Location might not be set to My Music. Check out this article on changing your iTunes Folder Location:

• loonan4 December 22, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Have you authorized your new computer for your iTunes account? You must do this before you can access your music.You can do this by going to the STORE menu and then to authorize computer.. Good luck.

2. Mike C November 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Importing a playlist is one thing, but what if I update that playlist in ITunes and then want to sync those changes to the playlist that I imported into Xbox Music? I tried importing again hoping that it would overwrite the existing playlist with the same name, but it just creates a new playlist. Not a good feature.

Any suggestions?

3. Joshua McNichols April 18, 2014 at 11:11 am #

I frequently need to import albums by musicians (musicians not in Microsoft’s databases, by the way) onto my hard drive, for use in my podcast about local music. Unfortunately, it looks like with the latest update to Windows, the My Music menu is gone, so I can’t follow your advice. I can no longer figure out how to import these songs into Xbox Music for Windows – and there’s no obvious way to rip CDs from the revised app. I have tried just dragging and dropping the tracks into the music folder, but the app doesn’t find them automatically. Can you clarify how to rip music from CDs under the latest version of the app?

4. Brian Burgess April 18, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

Hey guys, I am looking into your questions.

I haven’t looked in to it too closely yet, but I am thinking you need to rip CDs with Windows Media Player — which actually still exists in Windows 8.x:

Or you could use any desktop software to rip your discs… iTunes…etc. Then change the meta data manually if the info isn’t listed in the music databases. If you use another program like iTunes, you can make Xbox music look in other locations for music…including external drives and network locations …. you can see how to do that here: