How to Import Favorites into Microsoft Edge

Since the Windows 10 Anniversary update, Microsoft Edge (the company’s new browser) has been improved quite a bit since the previous builds. And now, with support for extensions, it is a viable alternative to Chrome for Firefox.

Because of this, you might want to start using it and import your Favorites from other browsers. The great thing is Microsoft makes it simple. Here’s how.

Import Favorites into Microsoft Edge from Other Browsers

Launch Edge and open the settings menu in the upper-right corner.

settings

Now, scroll down the menu and click on View favorite settings.

favorites

Next, just click the browser(s) that you want to import your Favorites from and then the Import button. The amount of time it takes for them to import will vary, but during my test it took just a second.

import

While you’re in there, you might want to flip the switch to On to show the Favorites bar for easier access to them.

fav-bar

Do you use Microsoft Edge in Windows 10? Leave a comment section below.

16 Responses to How to Import Favorites into Microsoft Edge

1. Ian September 28, 2016 at 6:32 am #

When will norton be accepted by Edge

• dirgster September 28, 2016 at 5:55 pm #

That’s the same question I want to ask since I’m using Norton Security with its helpful Identity Safe features and others.

2. Bob Mundy September 28, 2016 at 7:27 am #

Hi I do use Edge and like it, however after I have imported my favorites from other browsers, I have a big mess, lots of doubles and duplicate folders, one folder inside another. Is there a easy way to fix this. Thanks for a great website, you folks are very helpful.

3. Joe Rees September 28, 2016 at 1:34 pm #

I’ve imported my Favorites into Edge, but the only way I can get to them is through the Hub. The “Favorites Toolbar” still says “Add to the favorites bar by selecting [star] or by getting them from another browser,” with a link to “Import your favorites. Restarting Edge and rebooting Windows have no effect. After several tries, I had “Imported from Firefox,” “Imported from Firefox(2),” “Imported from Firefox(3),” and “Imported from Firefox(4).” I’ve since deleted the duplicates, but the Favories bar still does not recognize it.

• Brian Burgess September 28, 2016 at 1:41 pm #

@Joe: Are you running the latest Anniversary Build?

• Joe Rees September 30, 2016 at 8:07 am #

Yes, I am.

I did figure this out, BTW…

After importing the bookmarks from Firefox (several times!-I deleted the duplicates), I had to go back and MANUALLY move the imported folders onto the Favorites bar, one at a time. It took a few minutes, but it worked.

Sadly though, I have to report that after playing with Edge for a few days, I decided to go back to Firefox. The Edge interface just seems “rinky-dink” and visually archaic to me. Plus, it’s a lot less intuitive.

4. Ziggy September 29, 2016 at 6:12 am #

Brian, you seem to be deleting comments that point to programs that maybe of some help to your readers.

Your call – your site! But can you clarify your sites policy on posting links to (what I believe) could be of assistance to your readers for myself and others.

I’ve enjoyed the numerous posts on GroovyPost and have been a long time fan. Just some clarification would be greatly appreciated. As always, keep up the good work and look forward to your response.

• Brian Burgess September 29, 2016 at 5:48 pm #

@Ziggy: Generally we’ll delete comments that have links that point to third-party programs we have not been able to test.

If they are Microsoft programs or ones we have fully vetted, then it will go through.

Also, our spam filter often will block comments with links automatically.

We also don’t allow linking to any other sites other than Microsoft or other official sites, i.e., Google, Amazon…

• Ziggy September 29, 2016 at 6:29 pm #

@Brian. Thanks “ol fella!. Got it! Your response is very much appreciated.

Again, keep up the great work, and, as Homer Simpson would put it (sort of): “What’s the point of going out (somewhere else)? (When) We’re just gonna wind up back here anyway.”

• Brian Burgess September 30, 2016 at 3:08 am #

@Ziggy we never mean to jerks, but I am sure you see the point.

Also if you are old enough remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer says ” Where is the Any Key?” that was another classic…..

• Ziggy September 30, 2016 at 7:34 am #

@Brian. Stop it! By the way, where is the any key? LOL!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. There is a program that can help with managing Edge bookmarks. Its called… Oooops, can’t say until you give me permission!

Nah, just google “Manage Edge” and, as Homer would say, “I (now) feel like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft!”

5. Sonjia September 29, 2016 at 4:35 pm #

I imported my favorites from IE, and I don’t see them. Don’t even see the star to click on to see favorites at all. Don’t have a clue to see any of them. I will stick with IE as long as I can. I use my favorites a lot and if I can’t see them they are of no use to me.

• Sonjia September 29, 2016 at 4:37 pm #

Forgot to say, I am running Win. 10, Anniversary Update too.

6. PaulH October 17, 2016 at 6:30 pm #

I am new to Groovy Post but love the articles. I have a question with Microsoft Edge, how can I sort the favourites as I used to be able to with Microsoft Explorer? I.E the folders were at the top in alphabetical order then all of the other favourites listed separately were also sorted alphabetically.

• Steve Krause October 17, 2016 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Paul!

Welcome to the groovyPost! Really glad you’re enjoying the site.

Sometimes it’s easier to show you instead of just telling ya so I created a quick tutorial on how to sort edge favorites on our Windows 10 Community site. Enjoy!

7. Ziggy October 17, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

@PaulH: Just google “Manage Edge” – Emmet Gray.