How To Install or Enable the Windows Vista Snipping Tool

Windows Vista Once Installed / Enabled the Vista Snipping Tool Install Vista Snipping tool is a great free application bundled with Windows Vista and Windows 7.  It’s easy to install or enable.  The Snipping Tool is a great for taking screen shots or “snips” and then annotate, save or share/email the image or snapshots of your screen.  Just follow these simple steps to enable it:

Enable or Install Windows Vista Snipping Toolgroo

Step 1: Click the Windows Start Button and click Control Panel

Enable or Install Windows Vista Snipping Tool

Step 2: Click Programs icon

Enable or Install Windows Vista Snipping Tool

Step 3: Click Turn Windows features on or off as highlighted above

Enable or Install Windows Vista Snipping Tool

Step 4 (Final step): Check the box Tablet PC Optional Components.

All Done!  The Snipping Tool should now be installed in your Accessories Folder:

• Windows Start Button
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • image Snipping Tool

Note: Windows 7 comes with the Snipping tool enabled and the How-To above does not apply as you cannot disable it using the Windows Feature Menu/Options.  That being said, the Windows 7 Snipping tool is only available  in the Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate/Enterprise editions of Windows 7.  It’s funny how Microsoft didn’t include it with all versions as I feel it’s just as important as the Calculator or Notepad but whatever…

Disclaimer – All captures with the exception of the “SnagIt” capture below made using: SnagIt V8.2.3……… :)

SNIP of SnagIt V8.2.3 ABOUT information

, , ,

17 Responses to How To Install or Enable the Windows Vista Snipping Tool

1. RJ August 21, 2007 at 11:43 am #

I struggled looking for this so you saved me a bunch of time! Love the step by step. Very easy to follow. Thanks for the write-up!

RJ

2. MrGroove August 22, 2007 at 10:15 pm #

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback!

3. OscarJJ September 12, 2007 at 11:28 am #

Keep em coming. Thnx!

4. MrGroove September 14, 2007 at 11:36 pm #

Thanks Oscar! And welcome to the site!

5. Ashley May 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm #

i cant find it on my computer:( HELP!

6. JPT July 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

no matter how many times i re-install the vista os, i always forget where this most versatile of apps is hidden. thanks, man.

• MrGroove July 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Anytime JPT! I think the process is the same for Windows 7 also…??? Might need to do that write-up also I think?.?.?. Either way, your welcome!

7. Nikky July 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

haha wish you had of put “Note: Windows 7 comes with the Snipping tool enabled” at the begining. I should have read the article first before going off and trying to enable it when it was already enabled. Good thing its extremly easy and quick then to check out.

• MrGroove July 14, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Hi Nikky… sorry about that :) You know what is weird tho, at work it was DISABLED by default on my PC and everyone around me. I think IT did that to freak us all out. who knows.

Good feedback however. I’ll update the article to say (FYI – go test it first, might already be on).

8. Dai July 26, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Hi Steve, I have windows vista & tried to install ‘snipping tool’. I followed your step by step instructions. Upto ‘Turn windows features on or off’ it was perfect. I haven’t got ‘tablet pc optional components’. So, I am stuck. Thanks for your help and support. What can I do next??

• Steve Krause July 26, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Hi @dai — So you don’t have the box to check in Step 3?

Are you running the latest Vista service-pack?

• Dai July 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Hi Steve

Thanks for your quick reply.
        I installed Vista in 2008 June. I know it is not the latest. I am trying to do some ‘printscreen’ shots for my shots. Students recommended the ‘snipping tool’. Any help is appreciated.
        Thanks & regards

Dai

9. Bruski August 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

Not available on windows 7 starter? correct?

• Brian Burgess August 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

I did some digging and it looks like Windows 7 Starter doesn’t have the Snipping Tool. I guess that is why it is “Starter Edition” a lot of little features like that are left out.

But there are third party apps you can use. Some people told me they use a tool called Snippy — but it hasn’t been updated in a long time.

• Steve Krause August 13, 2012 at 11:18 am #

You might also try JING. It’s free and works quite well.

10. tess February 23, 2013 at 6:23 am #

I’m struggling to find this on my computer. I have “Windows 7 Starter.” Is it not on my computer? Your tutorial is awesome but I don’t have a folder for “tablet PC Option Components.”

11. Jackie November 11, 2013 at 9:00 am #