How to Fix YouTube Lag in Chrome 10

Hi groovyMac users–if you’re like me, then you’ve noticed that starting this month, YouTube has been experiencing some pretty harsh lag. This seems to be confined to Google Chrome users, and, if I’m not mistaken, seems to  be more prevalent for OS X and Macbook users as well. Essentially, the YouTube slowdown is pronounced in the form of choppy video, yet inexplicably smooth audio. Even weirder, the video lag ceases if you wiggle your mouse around.

If you were considering reporting the problem to Google, don’t bother–they know.  And for now, there is no permanent fix. But there are three workarounds:

• Clear your cache before visiting YouTube (pain in the butt).
  • Use a different browser like IE or Firefox (Heaven forbid!)
  • Visit YouTube in incognito mode (most convenient)

Given that this YouTube/Chrome video lag seems to stem from cache issues and/or other data that Chrome/YouTube are tracking–let’s remember now that both YouTube and Chrome are owned and developed by the big G–I’m going to have to go out on a limb here and say that this is kind of fishy. Does this YouTube lag have something to do with a recent update to YouTube and/or Chrome that adds some extra (and buggy) layer of user tracking? Maybe.

Google’s in yr computerz. Trackin wutz you watch.

Stay tuned for a permanent fix for this issue.

, , , ,

9 Responses to How to Fix YouTube Lag in Chrome 10

1. Rookie June 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Or just simply remove all extentions.. Works for me

2. Alanoud Al Darmaki July 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

it worked for me, thanks

3. Stijn August 28, 2012 at 10:31 am #

That’s interesting Rookie. What would be even more interesting is if you could spare a moment to figure out exactly which extension is the culprit… Going to be doing some testing with this!

4. Stijn August 28, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Ok, so I went ahead and checked out the installed extensions:

chrome://chrome/extensions/

One extension caught my attention:

Screen Capture (by Google) 5.0.4

Mmm screen capture. That sounds like it could have an impact on video. So I disabled it and Pooof. All troubles were gone.

Screen capture? Installed without my prior consent?? Mmmm. I absolutely loooovvvee Chrome, but this sucks. Big time. Mmmmm I’m not sure what t do next. Looks like I’ll be needing to invest some time in getting up to speed with Chromium.

5. charly cat December 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I ‘ve followed step by step what to do and it worked!! thank you so much I was going mad!!!C
    heers dude!!

• Steve Krause December 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Excellent. Glad it worked. Thanks for the feedback!

6. Miao November 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Recently my youtube becomes lagging in Chrome.

Thanks for the tips. I agree this tip have been verified by many other peoples. However, it does not work for me at the moment. I followed the steps, disabled build-in player and downloaded the latest adobe players and enabled it, Still the lag issue exists.

I do find an alternative way to solve this problem by visiting youtube in incognito mode. I’m using win7 system. But I hope there is a way to fix the problem rather than avoid it.

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your reply.

• Miao November 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

I get the problem solved.

I finally found there is a third party advertisement extension sneaked in my chrome and I did not even noticed that! Remove it and the problem solved.

Damn those sneaking-in advertisement add-ons! They should be categorized as virus in Anti-virus softwares.