How To Convert Word 2010 Tables to Text

How-To Convert a Word 2010 Table to TextDid you know Word 2010 has a single click feature that converts Tables to Text?  Don’t feel stupid if you didn’t.  Microsoft Office / Word 2010 is packed full of so many features, everyday I’m still finding things I never even knew existed.  Anyway, let’s take a look at this quick tip in Word starting with a groovy Screencast and followed by the typical screenshot step-by-step.

Step 1  – Convert Word 2010 Table to Text

Click anywhere in your table. Look for the small move icon on the top left of your table to ensure you’ve selected it.

SNAGHTML1f6e27c

Step 2

Click the Layout Tab on the Word 2010 Ribbon and Click Convert to text.

image

Step 3

In the newly appeared window you can choose with what to delimit your text. The three default options are Paragraph marks, Tabs and Semicolons, but you can delimit your table contents with a custom symbol of yours using the Other option. So choose whatever you like and click the OK button.

SNAGHTML1fba0cb[4]

Done!

Your text is now converted and ready for E-mailing!

SNAGHTML2005183

Do you have a groovy tip?  Tell us about it in the comments or drop us the tip at [email protected]!

, , ,

18 Responses to How To Convert Word 2010 Tables to Text

1. Koutheir Attouchi January 23, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Very wrong. This feature is actually very old. For example, I have it on my Office Word 2003 Professional suite. And it is as easy as few clicks.

• jdpZambini January 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

@koutheir, what’s your beef? He never said it was a new feature to Word 2010. This just shows how it is done in the 2010 version.

I didn’t know about this so I’m glad he wrote this. Because of it I learned something new about Word today.

• Koutheir Attouchi January 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Good for you :-)
        I am sorry, maybe I misunderstood his hint.

• MrGroove January 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

@Koutheir – Hey no worries. And yes, although not a new feature, the point of the tutorial today was to show the tip for office 2010 users. Don’t have office 2007 or 2003 installed so if you have the steps for the older versions of word, feel free to post em up and I’ll add them to the tutorial ;)

• Annabel Clifford March 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks for the info.! I’ve been using this in Word 2003 for a long time (since about 2002, go figure), but they moved everything around in Word 2010, so I couldn’t find it!

In Word 2003, first I select my table. Then on the menu (top line, starts with “File”), I choose “Table.” Unless I’ve recently used “Convert Table to Text,” it doesn’t show up right away, but if I wait a moment, then the full Table menu opens up, and in the bottom section is “Convert.” I choose “Convert” and get 2 options: “Text to Table” and “Table to Text.” (If I have not selected a table, “Table to Text” will not be selectable.) I pick “Table to Text” and another menu comes up. I can choose to separate lines by paragraph, tabs, or other characters, and choose to convert nested tables or not. And that’s it. The trick is knowing where our friends at Microsoft hid it ;-).

• MrGroove January 23, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

@jdpZambini Hey that’s awesome! Glad the tutorial taught ya something new!

2. Ann December 15, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Just the answer I needed. I just upgraded from 2003 to 2010 and having to search for fetature. Slow learning curve but the help and these videos are helping speed up the process.

• Steve Krause December 15, 2011 at 10:56 am #

Hi Ann – I’m glad we could help you out and thank you for the feedback!

3. anh February 1, 2012 at 7:54 am #

i dont know why it doesnt work with MS 2007, thanks 4 posting!

4. Luen Lin March 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

2010 Word’s user interface goes backward in my mind. It was much easier in 2003 Word where you can find table –> text and text –> table under the same menu. Whereas this newer version of Word had me search table –> text until I learned it from your web page. Thanks for the tip!

5. Monika August 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Thank you! I’ve looked at a multitude of sites for this info (after looking in the “obvious” place in MS Word’s help, which is totally unhelpful).

• Steve Krause August 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Next time you know to come to groovyPost first Monika! :)

Welcome to the site. I’m glad you enjoy my blog.

6. Dawn N. March 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Thank you! I have had to look up how to do this twice so far. In Word 2010 MS moved things around and hid them from me :)
    Thanks for the easy tutorial!

• Steve Krause March 8, 2013 at 9:28 am #

You are very welcome. Glad we could assist with helping you find it!

Welcome to gP btw.

• Linda Allen June 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

you have to click on a table to bring up the TABLE LAYOUT COMMANDS. How can you reverse and convert TEXT (comma separated) to a TABLE in word.

7. Ali October 15, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Thank you very much! This tool was easy to find in 2007 and difficult to find and work with — until I found this article. Thanks again,

8. Ellen October 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

When I used this feature, large portions of text seemed to disappear. I had an 18-page document that was in table format; suddenly it was only 5 pages. I know the text is there somewhere, but where?

If I try just converting a small portion, such as one page, at a time, the text overlaps itself.

Help!

9. Room February 11, 2014 at 8:14 am #

As usual, the “new and improved” Office with the ribbon is more confusing and more steps to do what we already had in Office 2003. Office 2003 is Table and then either Convert Table to Text or Convert Text to Table. it is all in the same spot, unlike having to look around different areas and make extra clicks.