It’s official. Windows 7 has gone RTM (Released to Manufacturing.) This means that Microsoft will now be delivering the final Windows 7 GOLD code to all their partners like DELL, HP, Toshiba, McAfee, etc. so they can prepare their products for the General Availability (GA) launch of Windows 7 on October 22nd, 2009.
Along with the RTM announcement, Microsoft also announced other dates Windows 7 would be available for download before October 22nd. Here are the details:
Windows 7 Download Dates
Partners and OEM’s
- ISVs: Download available from Microsoft Connect or MSDN August 6th, 2009
- Partner Program Gold/Certified Members: August 16th
- Microsoft Action Pack Subscribers: August 23rd
- OEMs: Software images should arrive beginning July 24th
Business Customers, IT Professionals & Developers
- Volume License Customers W/Software Assurance (SA): August 7th Via MVLS
- Volume License Customers Without SA: Available for purchase September 1st
- TechNet Subscribers: August 6th
- MSDN Subscribers: August 6th
- Retail Boxes: October 22nd
- New Computers: October 22nd
The good news is Windows 7 is going to deliver ahead of schedule silencing all the naysayers. August 6th is only a few weeks away but I “HIGHLY” recommend everyone wait patiently and not succumb to grabbing it from the torrents. #1, it’s illegal and #2, it’s dangerous as almost all code off those sites is tainted with malicious software.
All in all, not bad! Not bad at all!