4th Times the Charm – TIVO Service Disconnected

image

At the time I had my FIOS installed, they only had FIOS Internet and FIOS Phone Service.  No Cable.  Last week after 10 months of waiting, Verizon FIOS Cable was finally available so I had it installed.

The cutover from Comcast was fairly straight forward.  My Series 2 Tivo was replaced with a Motorola QIP6416-2 HD DVR.  Although my wife was a bit skeptical and wanted me to go grab a new HD TIVO, after playing with the new Verizon DVR for a week we both agreed it was time to retire the TIVO for good.  If it did Netflix streaming, I would be set.  Oh well, I have an XBOX 360 so I’ll just use it to stream my Netflix movies.

ANYWAY, today I called TIVO to cancel the TIVO subscription.  I tried to cancel it from the TIVO website but quickly found they require you to call into their call center for disconnects.

• 3:00pm call 800 # and put into Disconnect queue
  • 3:10pm – Call disconnected (yes, I’m using a land line, no mobile phone).
  • 3:11pm – Called back, put back into disconnect queue
  • 3:22pm – Call disconnected….  Ok, I’m pretty annoyed at this point.
  • 3:25pm – Confirmed you can’t disconnect service.  Decided I would skip the Disconnect Queue and try standard customer Service.  Automated service said hold time was 10 minutes…
  • 3:40pm -  Robot lady was 5 minutes off.  Anyway, I finally get a human.  <PHEW>.  I explain I’ve been trying for 40 minutes to cancel my service.  He apologizes, takes down my phone number (to pull up my service) and explains he needs to transfer me to the billing dept.  I say Noooooo and I hear the click.  I’m back in Automated PBX hell with that annoying music waiting for the Inevitable.
  • 3:50pm – Click…  Disconnected
  • 3:55pm – After taking a look around the website thinking perhaps I can send an email.  Decided to try the 800 # “1 more time”.  Dialed into the TIVO phone system again…
  • 4:02pm – Just 7 minutes on hold in the Disconnect queue!  And I have a HUMAN!   The customer service gentleman introduced himself and asked for my phone #.  I of course explained my previous 62 minutes and made him promise to call me directly on my mobile or land line should we become disconnected again.  He had to promise before I allowed him to move forward with my disconnect.
  • 4:08pm – Although he’s a nice enough gentleman, he all but calls me crazy for not going with a TIVO HD unit.  I have to give him creds on that one.  He did a nice job trying to talk me into remaining a TIVO customer.  Couldn’t fault him after all, that’s his job.
  • 4:10pm – I hang up the phone.  Mission Accomplished.  After just 70 minutes, I successfully cancelled the TIVO service subscription on m Series 2 TIVO unit.  <PHEW>

So, the question is, why did it take me 70 minutes to kill my TIVO service?  I understand why you can’t cancel the account via their Web Page (they want the opportunity to talk you out of cancelling).  For TIVO, this is easy money every month once they get you signed up.  So, do you think they purposely bounced me around to prevent me from cancelling the service?

My guess is no.  That being said, had I not been tracking the timeline for this blog post, I probably would have given up until Monday.  Even so, I don’t think TIVO cares about keeping me on for another 3 days.  So I’m going to call it a faulty phone system.

What do you think?  Anyone out there have problems killing their TIVO service?

10 Responses to 4th Times the Charm – TIVO Service Disconnected

1. Chris May 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

same deal here

called, cancelled
    followed up with letter, cancelled
    got charged, had amex challenge and halt
    now they have no credit card, but they are trying to send to a collection agency
    i called again, they won’t budge

ive been fb’ing and tweeting on how much i hate them

worst company ever

ive gotten 10 people to cancel their service, and 5 people won’t sign up now.

• MrGroove May 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

@chris,
      Wow – you even sent a letter! Right on. And now they want to send you to collections… nice. A company now days need to realize that a customers social network is MUCH larger than it was just 5 years ago (3 people at work and 1 or 2 neighbors). Now it’s nearly unending! It’s really a bad idea to piss off a customer… That’s how BLOGS are started.

2. Mary May 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Yes, my husband has been trying to cancell TIVO for the past 9 months, but they always have him on hold for a extended period of time, and of course he gets frustrated and hangs up.

3. VOXPOP May 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

OH this is very bad news re canceling tivo as I am thinking of canceling tivo and going to time warner’s DVR.
    BTW if anyone knows the answer to this please reply….why do both time warner and tivo chop off the last minute or 2 of a show? surely that is something that can be fixed.
    thanks

4. Ann March 28, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I just tried to cancel my TIVO and the gentleman, the TIVO customer service rep kept asking me questions like, why I wanted to cancel, whether I had another DVR service and if so, from what company. This is all well and good. I don’t mind being subjected to a brief ‘exit interview’. What I do detest is that he kept asking the same questions over and over and making me clarify – so I lost my patience and raised my voice and said, “I have already answered all your questions and I have already explained the reasons for my cancellation, now I just want you to cancel”. And he just kept telling me that he was just “trying to help me out” to which I responded, “if you really want to help me out, you’ll do as I ask. Just cancel my TIVO.” And finally after a few more mumblings, he placed me on hold for a few minutes. I didn’t get back to my phone in time to speak with him when I got back to my phone so I had to call back and the second customer service rep assured me that my account had already been cancelled. I asked for confirmation. He told me that I would already have a confirmation e-mail, which I did. But I also got an “incident number” from him, just in case they try to charge me. This little troublesome experience has served only to turn me against TIVO entirely. I would rather take a sledgehammer to my existing TIVO than sell it or give it away only to have some other poor soul be subjected to their tactics. Now, if I put that sledgehammer-to-TIVO on video and upload to YouTube, I’m sure I will get some supporters who are fed up as well. But, alas, I do not own a sledgehammer.

5. Rich June 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Going through Tivo cancellation hell as I read this. Exact same script as above. He went off the phone at 3:35 to send me to oblivion. I said it was 3:35 when he left. Seeing how long the devil’s spawn takes to get back to me. I have all day and will wait Satan….

Wow, God intervened, it is 3:41 and he claims I am cancelled and will get an email in 5-10 minutes.

Well I got the email, but the Bastards aren’t cancelling it until 3 weeks from now. June 27. I guess they want that last $13…scummy if you ask me. Time to post to Facebook and Tweet just for the satisfaction.

• Steve Krause June 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

Hi Rich,

I can honestly say – been there, done that… unfortunately. I would have hoped that TIVO would have figured things out by now but I guess not. Honestly, by now Tivo must be in their death thralls anyway. They are currently losing over 50 million a year so it’s only a matter of time.

6. Derek Bill June 5, 2012 at 6:59 am #

So, is there a better way to cancel? In other words….does anyone have a success story?

My TiVo unit just went belly up (bad caps in the power supply) and repair/replacement is not a reasonable proposition given the other options in the marketplace nowadays.

7. Alaina September 26, 2012 at 9:32 am #

My advice- change the credit card number to one that is about to expire. there’s nothing they can do if they don’t get updated credit card info. they will just cancel the service after several months of trying to charge the card, right?

• Steve Krause September 26, 2012 at 11:00 am #