How To Enable The Favorites Bar In Google Chrome

Where is the Chrome Favorites Bar?

I’ve been using Chrome for a few months now, but I’ve never actually seen the Favorites bar, until today.  While testing a new java bookmarklet I realized that I needed a favorites bar to properly use it.  Firefox automatically has the favorites bar visible, but in Chrome it is hidden by default.

Step 1

In Google Chrome, Click the Lines (settings) button and then Select Bookmarks > Show bookmarks bar.

Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + B
 use the chrome favorites bar from the tools menu

Done!

Now the Chrome favorites bar should be completely visible just beneath the Address bar and menu buttons.  If at any time you want to get rid of the Favorites bar just repeat Step 1 above or Press the shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + B simultaneously.

chrome favorites bar

, ,

16 Responses to How To Enable The Favorites Bar In Google Chrome

1. iKlsR October 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

…cool, wasn’t a chrome fan at first but the more i use it, the more i like it and this tip really helped… thank you!

• shockersh October 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

ditto here… first time I picked it up I was like – huh? That EULA sucks… After google changed the EULA and I starting using it again, I’ve all but uninstalled Firefox… No idea why actually. It just feels cleaner?

Anyway, yeah – same here. ;)

2. shockersh October 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

ctrl+shift+b – Nice tip dex… You should post up ALL the chrome shortcuts plz!

3. marshall December 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Won’t work. Control Shift B does nothing.

4. Albert Warkentin February 9, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Interesting. I got down my tools menu, but there was no Favorites bar on it. How do I get it to appear?

• Steve Krause February 10, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Hi Albert – Tools should be there when you press the Wrench looking icon. That said, you can also use the Keyboard Shortcut key – CTRL+SHIFT+B

Try that shortcut key. I should just appear.

5. Denise July 17, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Like other posts adding favorites toolbar does not work with wrench OR CTRL+SHIFT+B for me…so whats the scoop?

6. Carol March 15, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Is is possible to import Internet Explorer Links Bar to Google Chrome?
    I was able to import favorites and the Favorites Bar does appear in Google Chrome, but the Internet Explorer links do not appear.

• johanna July 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Did you get an answer? Since IE is no longer supported for XP I downloaded Chrome once again. Not a favorite because I don’t like its layout. But I was able to set my old home page in it and I was able to import my “favorites bar”. However I haven’t figured out how to import or display my “favorites/bookmarks” down the right side. My side bar has many more bookmarks and they are sub-categorized. Have you gotten anything back on how to do this?

7. Wilson April 4, 2013 at 11:57 am #

I do not have a wrenck Icon so I do not get the Show the favorites bar, what else can I do??

• Austin Krause April 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Hi Wilson. It seems Google updated the interface and changed things around. This guide has been updated to reflect that. Please let me know if you’re still having trouble!

8. Crystal November 2, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

To me there is a difference between the bookmarks bar (which appears across the top) and the favorites LIST per say (which opened up and dropped down on the left hand side). Do you know how I can get the drop down favorites list to appear? It used to come up automatically, but it hasn’t since I put google chrome on this computer.

• johanna January 12, 2014 at 11:36 am #

Crystal, did you get an answer. It is the same question I asked back in July. The answer I got was for the bookmarks across the top, which I already had. I am looking for the favorites down the left side as well. I have many, many links and they are in sub-folders as well. It is probably the one thing I really don’t like about Chrome besides the menu. In Explorer I have buttons for sending a webpage I am looking at in an e-mail, etc. Chrome doesn’t seem to have that type of thing either.

9. peg January 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

did not work – missing favorites bar

10. Jom August 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

I have read ALL the comments on the favorite list (drop down). No one brave enough to say IT WORKS!
    How to make it work?

11. bonnie October 19, 2014 at 10:57 am #

i have the chrome favorites list—-where is the add to favorites button?