How-To Add or Watch .MOV Files in Google Picasa

imageToday I rebuilt my Windows 7 box and after I imported my Google Picasa database / library I realized none of my .MOV video files were showing up in any of my albums.  Thinking it was an easy fix I went into the Option menu only to find the .MOV extension was greyed out.  Has this happened to you?  Read on as I have a simple fix.

Step 1 – Download and Install iTunes or Quicktime

No real black magic here.  Just surf over to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and you should be able to grab a copy.  If your not an iTunes (iPhone/iPod etc..) user, don’t install iTunes.  Just grab a copy of Quicktime here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/.  Once downloaded install the app. you downloaded.

Note: If you already have Apple Quicktime or iTunes installed, skip to Step 2.

Step 2 – Configure Picasa to display .MOV files

Open Picasa, Click Tools, Options

image

Step 3

Click the File Type Tab, Check the Box Quicktime Movies (.MOV), Click OK

Add Quicktime .MOV file types to Picasa

Conclusion

That’s all there is to it.  Your .MOV files should now start appearing in your Picasa Albums.  Depending on the number, it could take anywhere from a few seconds to hours to get them all populated.

, ,

28 Responses to How-To Add or Watch .MOV Files in Google Picasa

1. Kelsy Turner September 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

I had no idea you could add .mov files into Picasa so thank you. Will this let you upload them to picasa web albums also?

• MrGroove September 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

@Kelsy – Yes. I thought you can also upload .mov files through the web interface however I know for certain, once you add .mov files to the Picasa Client, you can then sync them up to a Picasa Web Album of your choice.

2. Mike September 29, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Great article. After sifting through dozens of threads about the issue, you were the first one to point out that it’s not enough to install QuickTime, and that you should also check the options panel in Picasa.
    Keep up the good work :)

• MrGroove October 4, 2010 at 10:20 am #

My pleasure Mike and thanks for the feedback. I have to admit, I was scratching my head at first before I realized I needed QuickTime….. Now all I need is for Google to add a nice Transcoding option into Picasa and I’ll be all set!

3. G P S April 26, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Thanks a lot, I had same problem than you when using my new laptop with windows7, all the .mov already uploaded into my online gallery were appearing as a static picture, and I can not watch .mov videos with Picasa or with Album Web Picasa.

Really the solution is simple, but not obvious for these like me, not expert in deep.

Best regards

4. Milton Segura May 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

awesome, thank you!

• Steve Krause July 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

@e32e1d5d7fcbe8fc727c46816c0407d4:disqus You are very welcome! Thanks for the feedback Milton.

5. jennie November 14, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Could someone be so kind to tell me where I can find the volume control in picasa, as I watch my movies files thru picasa, but can’t find anywhere to adjust the volume. I have tried asking on google, but can’t find an answer anywhere! Would appreciate someones help with this. ( I have gone into tools, but nothing on volume control in there either). Thank you, Jennie

• Hawken MacKay Rives June 29, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I would just use the system-wide volume control, in the system tray or the menu bar (Windows or Mac, respectively.)

6. Darlene November 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

i downloaded quicktime player for picasa 3 i have videos but their no longer on my memory card how to use the quicktime player with the videos that picasa up on as just photos and videos

• Steve Krause July 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

@34d00a0cb86fbe22f69acf80e2b91617:disqus did the files get imported onto your PC somewhere?

7. the nerve center February 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

OK, but what if Picasa 3 doesn’t allow me to check the “Quick time Movies (.MOV)” box for some reason? I can see where I am supposed to check it, but it is not activated for me to check. It’s disabled somehow.
    What now?

8. Jeff April 6, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Installing Itunes was not enough. You HAVE to install Quicktime.

• Steve Krause July 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

@fb1169fcbcc223107875a1df015e199d:disqus Yes – Thanks for the comment Jeff.

9. grandpa1940 August 20, 2012 at 1:32 am #

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I very recently upgraded my camera, and took the first of what I hope to be many more videos, as well as still pix. But when I transferred my memory card to my PC and copied across to Picasa, only the still files showed up.

Surfed around, found your site and advice, clicked the ‘quicktime’ box off and on as Qucktime was already installed courtesy of the camera software, checked back on Picasa, and the video files were already installing themselves.

Again, many thanks from grateful Grandads everywhere!

10. dime5150 March 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Thank you so very much. I had this on the laptop which had videos viewable. When I got a new computer it didn’t display them. Google said they don’t support the movies until a codec is created. Finally find your blog entry and installed quicktime and away I go! Thanks so much!

11. gill June 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

hi steve, and thanks for the tip.
    I had just bought win 8 – and it doesn’t work (even after I installed quicktime)…

• Steve Krause June 28, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Hi Gill — After you installed Quicktime, did you reboot? Then launch Picasa, Tools, Options, File Types, ensure you check the box for Quicktime .MOV

Working?

• Gill June 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

thanks :)

12. Bovar121 August 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Thak you so much !!!!

13. Manisha Malhotra October 20, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Thank you so very much. It worked out.

14. Lisa October 23, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Still not working for me. I updated Quicktime and made sure .mov was checked, then rebooted. It still isn’t downloading them from the camera… i checked for Picasa updates and the message said it was up to date. Very exasperating!

• Steve Krause October 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Hi Lisa,

What exactly is the problem? You cannot get the .mov files to transfer from the camera to your PC via Picasa or you cannot get Picasa to view the .mov files AFTER you get them to your PC?

15. Lisa October 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I have a Canon Elph 510 camera. When I connect it to my computer via cable, all photos will download to Picasa. The .mov files do not transfer. If I manually transfer them, then i can open them from within Picasa.

I would like the files to download at the same time as the ,jpgs so I don’t have to manually do it. Like I said above, I updated Quicktime, checked my version of Picasa, and checked to be sure .mov was checked. In fact, I unchecked it and rechecked it, to it to save, then rebooted my computer and imported files from my camera. Still no .mov

Any ideas? Thanks!

16. RR October 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Your response was the best. Searched all over, even on the Picasa website and found nothing that worked for me. Just suggestions that did not solve my problem. Your answer was so clear and simple. I simply did not have Quicktime installed- which caused all of my issues. Once I installed and then changed the Picasa option to accept Quicktime files…worked perfectly! Wish other fixes could be this clear and simple. Thank you again.

• Steve Krause October 20, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

You bet! Thnx for the feedback and welcome to gPost!