Gmail Adds Rich Text Email Signatures

Groovy Gmail NewsLast week you might have started receiving emails from Gmail users with fancy new signatures at the bottom.  Yes?  Well this is thanks to the Gmail team’s latest upgrade – Rich Text Signatures.

What is a rich text signature?

Before the update, Gmail users were stuck with plain text formatted signatures.  This meant that you couldn’t customize any part of the signature except for the text characters that it contained.  With rich text signatures you can change the color, size, and font of text.  You can also add images, links, and formatting.

If you’re using the latest desktop-browser version of Gmail you can edit and send messages with rich text signatures.  Unfortunately there is no support yet for mobile users or the old HTML only versions of Gmail.

How To Add A Rich Text Signature To Gmail Email Messages

Step 1

Click the Settings link and then Click the General tab.

access gmail general settings

Step 2

Half-way down the General settings page you’ll find the Signature area.  The new rich text editor will show up right in the settings window and you can fully edit your signature here.

gmail with rich text signatures and images

That’s all there is to it!  It’s just like writing a mini email that will be included at the foot of every message you send out from Gmail.

8 Responses to Gmail Adds Rich Text Email Signatures

1. AJDS34 July 13, 2010 at 5:45 am #

Does not seem to be enabled for Google Apps Premier Yet. Anyone no when we should see the update?

• AtakanBey August 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

I just tried, it seems to be enabled for Apps Premier. Finally!

• MrGroove August 2, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

Ah very nice. Thanks for the FYI. Will have to go check it out.

BTW – What do you think of Google Apps Premier overall? Are you using it at work? Were you an Office shop previously?

• AtakanBey August 3, 2010 at 8:35 am #

Yes, I do use it for work. I have it set up for clients as well. Outlook Connector works nicely. I really like postini, probably the best antispam out there.

• MrGroove August 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Good to know. At work (my real job) we still have Microsoft Exchange “On-Prem” however we have been looking at going to Google Apps or the Microsoft solution BPOS. The price points are getting so low at this point it doesn’t make sense to host it anymore.

Postini…. Yeah that was a REALLY good acquisition by Google. At the time they were the Market leader and I’m sure Google is only making it better. Today (at work) were using MessageLabs and we have been a happy customer for the last 2 years with it. We get about 1 million emails a day globally and SPAM is just about non-existent now. That being said, I’m going to get Postini is just as good if not better and for just $4 a month per user… hard to beat when you consider your also getting email. 😉

• AJDS34 August 3, 2010 at 8:18 am #

How do you add a company logo? When I click on the insert picture it asks for w web url?

• AtakanBey August 3, 2010 at 8:37 am #

i link it to the logo located on my website, but if you don’t have one, use imageshack or tinypic.

• MrGroove August 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

You could also just park the logo on your corporate website somewhere and link to it.. Or… I wonder if you could just park it in your Google Docs site and link to it.. I bet you can do it! Will have to play with that one.