Enable Google Voice With Your Existing Number [How-To]

Use Google Voice on Existing Mobile Numbers

One of the more annoying things about the service since it’s release has been the inability to use an existing phone number with the service.  At sign-up (if you were lucky enough to get an invite from or a ) you had to create a new Google Voice number which you would then need to advertise to your friends and family…  DEAL BREAKER!  (sorry.. couldn’t resist the 30 Rock Reference)

Even Google recognized how lame this was and announced a half-baked idea about to help spread the word.  Yeah I know… Sounds like the Launch Parties…

Anyway, Google knew that in order for the service to be more than just a cool gadget people played with but didn’t actually use Google would need to remove this key roadblock… and that that’s just what they did tonight with a new upgrade to Google Voice.

Google-Voice Feature Comparison Vs. Non-Google Number Effective immediately, Google voice will now allow you to leverage your existing mobile number to take advantage of select features of the service.  The list of features available include:

• Google Voicemail
  • Voicemail Transcription
  • Custom Voicemail Greetings
  • International Calling
  • Mobile Apps

More features can be found on here for “Google Voice Feature w/Google Number Vs. Non-Google Number”.  Also, please note that only the follow carriers are officially supported at this time: Alltel, AT&T, Cricket Wireless, MetroPCS, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and Verizon.

Obviously the largest feature here is the integration of Google Voicemail, Transcription and Custom Voicemail Greetings.  Here’s a quick Voicemail from Google Voice:

Enable Google Voice Integration w/Existing Mobile Phone Number

1.   Login to Google Voice, Click Settings then Click Activate Google voicemail for this phone

Note: The option will only be available for Mobile Numbers.

Screenshot Enable Google Voicemail for this phone

2.   Select the Mobile Carrier from the Drop Down

Screenshot - Enable Google Voice on non-google number

3.   Follow the Instructions your given on your Mobile Phone

Screenshot - Enable Google Voice on non-google number at&t

I’ve not enabled the service on my iPhone yet but since it appears simple to disable, I’m sure I’ll play around with it tomorrow.  What about you?  Have you tried it out yet?  Would love to hear your feedback!

Google Voice With Your Existing Number [via ]

18 Responses to Enable Google Voice With Your Existing Number [How-To]

1. dave October 27, 2009 at 6:02 am #

Great post! I’ll use it when I actually receive the invite e-mail …someday.

2. shockersh November 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm #

I like. yeah, daddy really like. So MrGroove… it’s safe?

3. MrGroove November 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm #

Hi Dave,

Do you still need a google voice invite?

4. shockersh November 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

Um… Invite here please! Granted, I already have an account but #2 would be great for a personal project. :) :)

5. zeus November 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

Hi Mrgroove.

What happens when you use an existing number but don't like it? Can you move back to your google voice number

6. MrGroove November 8, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Yes. When you goto enable an existing # onto Google Voice it will notify you that you can disable it at anytime. I highlighted this in Yellow the Screenshot I posted in Step #1 Above.

7. Dennis Hyatt November 12, 2009 at 8:09 pm #

Yo I got a new Motorola DROID and would like to test the Google Voice features out.

I've been using other google services like gmail since they were created, so send an invite by to my email below and I'll be glad to return the favor and give my invites out as well.

My E-Mail: [email protected] Thanks for anyone willing to lend me one, I will surely make excellent use of it!

8. Ed November 20, 2009 at 9:29 am #

Hi! Do you have any Google Voice invites left? Please send me one! echapa[at]live.com.mx thanks! :)

9. scottlaviano December 29, 2009 at 8:45 am #

Hi, do you have any google voice invites or does anybody here have any??? i could really love one…i have a G1 so its a google phone so i get full out everything on it.. thanks everybody..please may i have 1

10. MrGroove December 29, 2009 at 10:40 am #

Hi Scott,

I'm all out of invites however keep an eye on this thread – http://www.groovypost.com/howto/google/google-v….

As people donate more invites you can try and be the first to reply to get one.

Gluck!

11. Rassy May 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

Can someone send me n invite on google voice

• MrGroove June 2, 2011 at 10:32 am #

You don’t need an invite anymore. Just goto google.com/voice