How-To Customize Chrome and Pin your Favorite Sites to the New Tab Screen

Google Chrome New Tab page: pin, remove, and move website thumbnailsI’ve never found the default “New Tab” page to be very useful with the exception of when I accidentally close a tab here and there.  That said, if you look close there are a few other options on the page which can be configured.  Follow along below for a quick tour on some of these options.

To get started, open chrome to a new blank tab.  Google Chrome by default will list your most visited web sites in order from top-left to bottom-right.  Hover your mouse over a thumbnail that belongs to each website to display 2 commonly unknown options: Pin, and Remove.  If you want Chrome to literally reflect your Most visited web sites, you can leave it as is.  However, Chrome isn’t the brightest and will commonly show dupe sites and thing like Login pages you might not want listed.

pin website thumbnails in google chrome's new tab

Customizing the Most Visited section of the New Tab page in Chrome

systematic process of organizing most visited websites in chrome

Customizing the Most visited section of the New Tab page for Google Chrome is simple and quick.

1. Remove Unwanted Websites
  2. Sticky (Pin) Your Favorites
  3. Then Restore all removed thumbnails.
  4. If you want to change up the order, just click and drag each website thumbnail to the spot you want it in.

moving most visited thumbnails in google chrome

Stay tuned this week for another great quick tip involving the Google Chrome “New Tab” page.

, ,

7 Responses to How-To Customize Chrome and Pin your Favorite Sites to the New Tab Screen

1. areur00t September 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Cool write up

CTRL+SHIFT+T will reopen closed tabs works both in IE and Chrome

2. jessi November 10, 2011 at 6:10 am #

I used to do this all the time… I just recently reformatted and now I don’t have pins when I hover. What happened?! How do I get them back?! I’m going batty having to type in all my sites every time!

3. Andy December 13, 2011 at 8:54 am #

I just upgraded my Chrome too and now the pins seem to have disappeared? How do i pin the tabs in the new chrome?

4. drebcr December 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Just looking into this myself and came across this info http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95451.

5. keyobo May 30, 2012 at 6:16 am #

that was the old version< i want the new version.

6. Debbie Leone Ries September 3, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Does not work. No Pin to drag. I still cant save a site to my chrome most visited sites. Seems if I go to the same site often enough it eventually finds its way to the page :~(

7. Amy Klimek Newman September 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Facebook is definitely one of my ‘most visited’ sites and used to be on my New Tab as such. For some reason it is no longer showing up. Don’t know if my kids did something, but I miss it. Any ideas as to how to get it back?