What Is jusched.exe And Is it Safe?

groovyPost.com Windows  Tips

You’ve come here looking for answers to the questions “What is jusched.exe?  Is jusched.exe a dangerous  virus?  Or, “Why is jusched.exe running on my computer!”.  I will answer all these questions AND, I’ll also explain how to turn off the jusched.exe service / process and replicate it’s functionality using a Windows Scheduled Task saving both resources and teaching you a nice trick.  ;)

First, let’s answer the question “What is the jusched.exe process?”.

Good news, it’s not a virus but…  I still don’t like it.  The jusched.exe process is a Java updater which by default it set to check for updates once a month.  The issue here is the application just sits there doing nothing but sucking up my precious memory and CPU waiting for the 1x monthly to check the SUN site for a new update.  Screenshot: Java Control Panel Update Tab MonthlyHUGE RESOURCE WASTE ALERT!  Any groovy geek knows that wasted resources just is not groovy!  I’m actually surprised MrGroove didn’t mention this a few weeks back when he .  Oh well, if he had I wouldn’t have anything to talk about.  :)

You can see this for yourself by opening up Task Manger (Hotkey Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and looking for the jusched.exe process.  Under the description you can see that it’s a Java application.  The memory it uses isn’t that much, but even then it can still be annoying having it on your task manager process list.  On my system, it took up 4 megs plus another 4 megs on my 2nd account I had logged in…  Let’s get rid of it!

Screenshot: Windows 7 Task Manager

How to disable jusched.exe

1. Open the Start Menu, and Click Control Panel.  To easily find the Java control, Change the View by to Large Icons. Double-Click Java to get started.

(Note: Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users can also just Click Windows Start Button (Hotkey Ctrl+Esc or Win Key) and Type Java)

Screenshot: Windows 7 Control Panel Launch Java

2. Click the Update tab.  Uncheck the box for Check for Updates Automatically. A warning window will appear, I find it interesting, anyhow Click Never Check. Go down and Click OK on the Java Control Panel window to finish.

Screenshot: Windows 7 Disable Java Update Checks

Okay, jusched.exe so no longer wasting resources however I would never do something irresponsible by leaving your system in an insecure state IE: doesn’t check and install JAVA security updates!   Since Java exploits are a common occurrence, let’s now step through a simple way to automatically enable a monthly Java Update process using a Windows Scheduled Task.

How to update Java without using jusched.exe using Windows 7 or Windows Vista

3. Click the Windows Start Button (Hotkey: Win Key), in the search box Type Task SchedulerClick the Task Scheduler to launch it.

Screenshot: Windows 7 Launch Task Scheduler

4. On the right panel, Click Create Basic Task…

Screenshot: Windows 7 Task Scheduler Create Basic Task

5. Go through the Basic Task Wizard, it’s pretty simple and just involves you scheduling when you would like to update. When you get to the Action menu, Choose Start a Program.  In the Program/Script box Type in or Browse to: C:Program FilesJavajre6binjucheck.exe
Leave the rest of the boxes blank and Click Next to continue and finish.

Note: Depending on what version of java you are using this location could slightly vary.  x64 or 64-bit systems will have a path of C:Program Files (x86)Javajre6binjucheck.exe

Screenshot: Windows 7 Task Scheduler Create Basic Task Path Jucheck.exe

All done!

Now whenever you get to the scheduled time that you set java will load up jucheck.exe to check if there are any updates.  If all goes well and there are no updates you will still see a window appear just letting you know that the check worked.  No more jusched.exe, but you’ll still maintain the same functionality / security!

Screenshot: Windows 7 Java Update Check Complete Jucheck.exe

Doesn’t it feel good to be clean!

, , , ,

14 Responses to What Is jusched.exe And Is it Safe?

1. gounbas January 12, 2010 at 11:57 am #

I tried this exact step and Win7 keeps re-enabling the java update as soon as i close the java window. The computer is on a domain.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

• MrGroove January 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

Nope… I’ve not seen that issue before. In regards to being domain attached, I don’t think that has anything to do with the problem either.

Try Right-Clicking on the Java icon in Step 2 Step 1 and clicking “Run as Administrator”. Perhaps it’s not saving because when you apply the settings change it’s not saving the config due to permissions. Let me know if that helps.

• Daniel January 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

I had the same problem gounbas. I didn’t find a way to execute as administrator from the Control Panel, but found an alternative.

Run “C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\ javacpl.exe” as administrator. I used the Explorer to do that. The program run the java control panel. From there I just did what grooveDexter explained.

Windows 7 64bits

• MrGroove January 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Yup, that works. And also, my bad. Up above my comment above I said Step 2 screenshot when actually it was Step “1”. In other words, with Windows 7 (and Vista probably) you should be able to open up Control panel then right click on the Java Icon and Click Run As Administrator.

Glad you got it going despite my assistance :)

2. Goonbas January 25, 2010 at 9:17 am #

On one Win7 I went into msconfig and disabled Java update from starting there. Of course that stops the popups but it is not the best solution i don’t think. I am now configuring another Win7 64-bit achine for the domain, I will first try what MrGroove suggested and then what Daniel suggested and i’ll update what my findings are.

3. Goonbas January 25, 2010 at 9:28 am #

Hello MrGroove,
    I am not certain, which of the Step 2 you are referring to. I did R-Click on the Java icon in Control Panel under Programs, but i got no option to Run As Administrator. However, I am logged on as administrator (unsure if that changes the R-Click menue options).

4. Goonbas January 25, 2010 at 9:34 am #

oh, yes MrGroove, it does re-enable JavaUpdate again.
    So now I will try what Daniel suggested….

Thank you Daniel. R-Clinicking and running the javacpl.exe as administrator then following the steps that MrGroove gave does get the job done. Thank you both MrGroove and Daniel.

• MrGroove January 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

Excellent! Glad to hear your up and running!

5. Tony April 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

I tried, and thought I did everything right, but I still get the flashing icon on the bottom of my screen I have windows 7. I wonder what I did wrong?

• MrGroove April 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

@Tony – You tried to disable the auto-update? Did you manually update and get all patched up?

• Tony April 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

yep sure did. what a relief

6. kay February 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

After I got rid of the automatic java update as advised, I opened the task scheduler wizard to browse to the program. However, jucheck.exe was nowhere to be found. Any idea why that may be? Thanks!

7. givemecontrol March 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Found the program for the task at location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update
    instead of where the article stated. Just letting others know.

8. kay April 7, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Thanks so much, givemecontrol :)