How to Install Jelly Bean 4.2.1 On the Epic Touch 4G

When Google released Android 4.2.1 I was pumped, and not just because it has a Siri-like voice search feature. But, like many other smartphone owners who purchased a Samsung Epic Touch, I knew an official update through Samsung would never come. That’s why this guide will show you how to get Android 4.2.1. working on the Epic Touch 4G (SPH-D710) via a community-driven Cyanogenmod (CM) 10.1 rom.

This rom is a ported version of CM 10.1 from an XDA user named dastin1015. After testing it out for a couple days, I have to say that this rom rocks. Myself and others XDA users are in agreement that it offers even better stability than the official CM 10 beta 2 rom (which is still on Android 4.1), and it has better performance as well. Needless to say, it completely blows away the bloated and glitchy stock ROMS released by Samsung. It’s the best ROM I’ve seen so far for the Epic Touch, and so if you have one of these phones I’d consider it a necessity. Ready to get started?

Download list  – You’ll need all of these

Note: If you are already running CM10 Beta/Alpha (4.1.x) you should be able to directly  flash to 4.2 and shouldn’t need to use Odin or the Direct-boot. If the direct boot CWM is not working you may need to flash the EL29 stock rom before continuing.

Warning: Rooting / Flashing roms / etc can void your warranty. However, you can always just flash back to stock before sending it in for repair, and as long you don’t tell Samsung you flashed it you usually can retain your warranty. Also, if your phone breaks I am not responsible. This guide has worked for me and has been tested on two Epic Touch 4Gs.

Before we get started I highly recommend flashing back to EL29. You can skip doing this, however I can’t guarantee that the rest of this tutorial will work if you do.

First off, we need to transfer the latest build of CM 10.1 and the Google Apps zip files to the phone. Depending on what ROM you are running, this is usually just as simple as enabling USB transfer via your notification drawer after plugging in your phone to your computer. Alternatively, you can just download the two links above using your phone’s browser so that it saves directly to your mobile device.

The full filenames for these two files that need to be on your phone are:

• gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip
  • WILD-FOR-THE-NIGHT-01202013-d710.zip

Note that WILD-FOR-THE-NIHT will likely include a a more recent trailing number as it is updated frequently.

image

Once you have the two files on your phone, the Epic Touch needs to be rebooted into Download mode. To do this you need to first turn the phone off. Next, while the phone is off simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons. The phone should boot up to a Warning screen. Here press Volume Up to continue, and then you’ll be on the Downloading screen (also known as Odin Mode).

imageimage

Now make sure your phone is connected to your comptuer, and then load up the Odin3 v.185.exe file that was in the Odin zip. You can also move the E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 to the Odin folder if you like, but it isn’t needed.

image

In Odin itself don’t touch anything except for the PDA button. Click the PDA button and then browse to the E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 file and click Start. This should take about 20 seconds, and when your done the phone should reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.

image

The first thing we need to do in ClockworkMod is wipe data. Perform the following using the first menu and the “advanced” menu. To navigate you’ll have to use the Volume Up/Down buttons and the Power button to select (some versions of CWM use the Home button).

• Wipe data/factory reset
  • Wipe cache partition
  • Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache

clockwork mod recovery

Once you have everything wipe select to “Install zip form sdcard.”

Now what you choose on the next menu will depend on whether you saved your files on your internal SD or external SD. Choose the one where your CM 10.1 and gappsjb… files are.

Now just flash/open the two zips in the following order:

1. WILD-FOR-THE-NIGHT-01202013-d710.zip
  2. gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip

This should take about 2 minutes to finish. Once you are done, use the back button to go to the menu and select “reboot system now.”

image

Once you’re phone reboots it should be running Android 4.2.1 via Cyanogen Mod 10.1. Have fun and enjoy the increased battery life, stability, performance, and features.

image

, , , ,

46 Responses to How to Install Jelly Bean 4.2.1 On the Epic Touch 4G

1. satirikal January 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks for the info. I installed this on my phone with no problems. Everything runs well except for 4 things:
    – the speakerphone microphone is too low. Others can barely hear you. It’s mostly useless.
    – The wifi tethering doesn’t work. When you turn it on, it shuts off the mobile data connection (both 3g & 4g). You can connect a device, but there’s no data connection to use.
    – Most call recording apps stop working. I think 4.2 blocks access to the android api for uplink/downlink..
    – 4.2 creates weird storage partitions because of its multi-user setup. This made it impossible to reinstall apps/data using Titanium backup without moving the files first using ES File Manager.

Any suggested fixes for the first 3?

• Austin Krause January 27, 2013 at 4:38 am #

That’s odd, I haven’t encountered any of those problems so I’m not sure exactly how to fix it at the moment, but I do have a few ideas based on my experience:

– From looking at the patch notes it says that the tether regex was fixed in the Jan/25 update. If you’re running that version it’s possible that the regex fix may have actually broken tethering. Flashing an older version through CWM may fix it, or vice versa if you are already running an older version. (I’m running the Jan/20 update still)

– What rom did you flash from? Some users are reporting the same call recording app problem, but it was fixed by first flashing in the following order: EL29 stock > CWM-direct-boot > CM 9 Beta > CM 10 Beta 2 > CM 10.1-Wild-for-the-night. I’m not sure exactly what is different when flashing this way vs. directly from stock – but the way the roms are from CM 9 updwards are treated as updates may have something to do with it.

– Be sure to post your problem + details on the developer thread as well because it is regularly checked by the team working on this rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2099881

• satirikal January 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Austin Krause, thanks for the reply. I installed the Wild for the night version from 1/23. Maybe I can downgrade to an older version, but do you know if there’s anyway to do it without wiping data? Otherwise, installing new builds and re-customizing apps is a 3 hour affair each time.

I didn’t realize it mattered in what order I flashed the OS. I assumed all the code gets replaced. Here was my cycle:
        1 – stock Gingerbread
        2 – rooted stock (without changing the ROM). This was still, by far the best in stability, usability and battery life!!
        3 – Goodness JB FK23 from instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLasw4drns Had to delete because it was the most hideous thing I’ve ever seen.
        4 – “Stock” FK23, the supposedly official Sprint build. It was slow and buggy, but did not have problems recording with CallRecorder.
        5 – CM 10.1 from your instructions above.

I will be very sad if I have to go through another wipe and flashing sequence…any advice would be appreciated. Will also post on the thread you recommended. Thanks!

2. Austin Krause January 28, 2013 at 5:29 am #

Thanks for the details, and again that’s a good question about the update.

– First off I’d recommend trying the latest build, which right now is Jan/25. You can just boot into CWM and flash directly over your current install to update it.

– If that build doesn’t fix your problem, you can try the Jan/20 version (just flash over your current build in CWM) or you may have to flash CM 9 then CM 10 then CM 10.1. Before doing so you can make a backup with Titanium to save time with a restore later, just don’t backup system apps.

I just downloaded CallRecorder and tested it out and it works perfectly. I’m currently downloading the Jan/25 update to see if it still works there, will report back soon.

3. Daniel Roberts February 12, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Thanks for the guide, it worked flawlessly. I rooted both mine and my brothers and it is super smooth. Have you noticed any extreme battery drain? He texted me today saying it is sucking his battery dry! Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!!

• mesa February 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

No battery drain here. make sure no live wallpapers, and turn off gps. This rom has made my battery better than ever.

4. DSharp February 18, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

I love this ROM but recently went back to modded ICS because there’s no 4G tethering (Either USB or hotspot). 3G tethering works fine but it’s a deal breaker for me since I get a strong WiMax signal here in downtown Portland. Posting in the forums no one seems to care. I think I got one reply that was a link to a modded wifi tether for TW JB that for obvious reasons won’t work.

Anyone here able to get 4G tethering working in any capacity on CM 10.1 or any other AOSP ROM’s?

Thanks.

5. gabe February 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

I installed the 2.18.03 build of the ROM and noticed that my screen will not auto rotate. Additionally, I noticed that it is eating up my battery. Anyone know any fixes to these issues?

6. Ian March 22, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Will this work for the Samsung Epic Touch 4G on Boost Mobile (SPH-D710BST) on FL24? and are there any updated files for this (since the Jan release?)

• Austin Krause March 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Flashing this rom shouldn’t affect the modem, so it *should* work.

However I haven’t tested it on the official boost modem version, so be sure to create a Nandroid (clockwork mod) backup before hand just incase something goes wonky.

7. april March 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

My friends r laughing at me,but why should i do this?
    Clueless about phones but i need to learn, please.

• Austin Krause March 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Regardless of what anyone says, the stock rom released by Spint/Samsung for this phone completely sucks.

Also, the Epic Touch will NEVER get Android 4.2 through the official channel.

Why do this?

Improvements to:

– Battery life
      – Performance
      – No more bloated junk sprint apps
      – more secure
      – more customization
      – rooted by default

The only downside is that 4G doesn’t work with this immediately out of the box. It can be configured but it takes a lot of work.But if you’re like a lot of us on Sprint or Virgin Mobile and don’t have 4G anyways, it won’t matter.

8. Astiaan March 25, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Will this still work if I am on FL24?
    Thanks!

9. Stephen March 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Hey! just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial…best one ive found after hours of searching! My question is this: after following every step very thoroughly, I got to the “reboot system now.” step and my phone has the CyanogenMod thing spinning around and around and it’s been doing this for a while. How long does this spin around before my phone actually boots up and can be used?

• Austin Krause March 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Hi Stephen,

Good question. The cyanogenmod logo could spin around during bootup for up to 3 minutes in some cases. There area few things at play here that affect how long it takes:

1. The health of the internal SD card
      2. Which version of the ROM is being installed (newer ones have more files = take longer)
      3. What rom this was flashed over

It should only take this long for the very first boot while it sets up the operating system. On subsequent restarts it should take less than 10 seconds to start the phone from being completely powered down.

• Stephen March 26, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Hey, thanks for the reply! The main problem was that the boot had literally been spinning around for a solid half hour so I got the feeling I did something wrong.

I did resolve the problem, however, and I am embarrassed to say what I did wrong…I wasn’t rooted! haha totally forgot about that step I guess! Although, after I did root, I tried it again and I got the same problem so Ill just say how I personally resolved it in case anyone else encounters the same issue: **This version uses mobile odin**

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ROOTED! (lol) On your phone’s browser, go to this thread and download files one (kernel/direct boot recovery), three (wild for the night), and four (gapps). Once everything is downloaded *on your phone.* on your phone, open the Odin app on your phone and flash the direct boot recovery. Once it reboots into clockworkmod recovery, just follow the rest of the steps above!

The main troubleshooting things I did was, firstly, re-downloading everything onto my phone and using the mobile version of Odin versus the desktop version!

Hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem and again huge shoutout to Austin Krause for the original tutorial!

• Austin Krause March 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Awesome Stephen!

BTW this is some of the best feedback I’ve ever seen. Seriously, good job man.

• Stephen March 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Hey, thanks! haha aside from about halfway through when I accidentally said “on your phone” about 100 times!

Thanks again

10. patrick March 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Hey, been trying to do this for a while now. I am already rooted, and have been following the instructions to the t, but it keeps failing in odin. Any suggestions? I really want to get this on my phone

• Austin Krause March 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Hi Patrick,

If Odin is failing, try a different cable or USB port. That’s the #1 problem.

The other possible problems are:

– Samsung Phone Drivers (reinstall them)
      – Phone isn’t in download mode.

• patrick March 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

I did try both of my usb cables and ports cause i saw that as a suggestion somewhere, as well as installing the files on my sd card, moving them to my phone, removing the sd card (not sure at all if moving the files around like that would even do anything at all, seeing as though this is my first time trying anything like this). I will try to reinstall the drivers, but would that still be necessary if my computer and doin are both reading that my phone is connecting?

• patrick March 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

My phone was also in download mode each time i tried, just to clear that up

• patrick March 26, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Coupd the error i have be because the odin window says “Epic 4g”?

• Austin Krause March 26, 2013 at 8:54 am #

It shouldn’t be, but you could try using a different build of odin.

Instructions + Download link at the bottom of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1274337

• patrick March 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

by the way, thanks for all the help, but it still doesnt appear to be helping.

these are the messages that odin keeps telling me. i dont really know what they mean;

Added!!
            Enter CS for MD5..
            Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
            Please wait..
            E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 is valid.
            Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
            Leave CS..
            Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
            File analysis..
            SetupConnection..
            Can’t open the serial(COM) port.
            All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

can you tell me anything from that by chance?

11. Astiaan March 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I cannot even get into the boot menu… Apparently because fast boot is on, and I don’t know hoe to turn that off…
    Anyone have an idea???
    Thanks

• Austin Krause March 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Hi Astiaan,

I’m a little confused. Fastboot mode is normally the same thing as “download mode.” If you are using download mode with Odin, odin should have automatically restarted the device when it was done flashing (unless you unchecked the restart button). It’s safe to pull the battery out if you need to as long as nothing is being written to the phone. But again, I’m not entirely sure what you’re talking about from the explanation given, I’d love to hear a little more detail/clarification.

• Astiaan March 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

I never get to the flashing point… before I do anything, I shut my phone down, start it with power and v-down, but it never gets to the boot menu… it just boots up as normal with the sprint splash screen.
        I think it is because I have the fast boot option on?? apparently that means that the phone doesn’t go off, but goes into a suspend mode?
        I don’t know how to get it really off…??

Does that make more sense?

• Astiaan March 25, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

OK I figured out that I need to first press the v-down before the power button… not at the same time…
        Now I’m in the ClockworkMod Recovery, and the power button doesn’t execute anything?
        How long do I need to hold the power button to execute the menu item? short, or long until a reboot?
        (sigh)

• Austin Krause March 25, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Alright, this one depends on what version of CWM recovery you are in.

The first one is direct boot and it is older. In that one you’ll have to use the Home button to activate a menu item. In the newer version of CWM that gets installed with 4.2.1 it will use the power button instead.

• Astiaan March 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

OK, figured it all out… looking good!

12. Astiaan March 26, 2013 at 9:38 am #

So, if at some point I want to flash a more recent nightly, can I just do that from recovery without wiping? Or do I need to wipe again?

• Austin Krause March 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Yeah, you can just flash the new version right over the old one using ClockworkMod.

I do suggest clearing the Cache Partition and the Dalvik Cache before you flash a new version though. It might not cause any problems if you don’t clear these out, but it should help prevent any performance issues.

13. IceCatraz March 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Hey, great write up. And I love the support both the writer and the members are giving each other. I’ve got a few questions, if you could help me out, Austin.

I received my replacement Epic4GTouch from Sprint Yesterday – my original phone had consistent rebooting issues, so after going left and right from one store to the other, I finally found one that would replace the phone for free – I pay insurance, but my phone is way out of warranty. (I note this simply because – Sprint stores suck. However, if you’re having a problem, SHOP AROUND! I went to 4 stores, and they each told me something different about my phone – one said it was the battery, one accused me of rooting my phone and saying it’s guaranteed to break, etc.)

Any who, I rooted it, but that’s literally it. I’m still running the stock 4.0.4 ROM it came with, along with FL24, but no custom recovery. I’ve seen a lot of different tutorials on how to install this ROM, but none seem to be for my specific version. If I want to install this ROM, would I still follow this tutorial? You have a link for Direct-boot CWM5, but I keep seeing I should install stock El29 or EL26?

And just one other question – I want to install this mainly because I love the Jellybean interface. I love the notification drawer and the quick settings/tiles, etc. My question is – do you think this is the definitive JB ROM to download? I saw another ROM by Kobridge on XDA forums – it’s “stock” Jellybean. I know this ROM is more than just Stock – do you think it’s worth installing over a “stock” version of Jellybean?

Thanks ahead of time for any answer you can give me,
    Ice.

• Austin Krause March 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

Hi IceCatraz,

I totally agree with you on the Sprint support thing. It’s hard to know if you’ll ever get help from them! When I came in and complained about their OTA update breaking my Epic (back when I was on stock) they tried to swap out my phone with a refurbished one. That was a huge no no as I like to sell my phone son eBay when I’m done with them and a refurb isn’t worth as much.

Anyhow, about flashing. If you want to be absolutely safe, flash back to EL29. The CWM directboot was made to work with it. It should work without EL29, but I haven’t tested it with every version of the stock ROM so I can’t make any guarantees there.

About which JB ROM is best. You’ll hear varying opinions on this. I base mine on my experience testing each one, and that I’ve read each full XDA thread and changelog.

There are 4 JB ROMs worth trying: Wild-for-the-night, Slim Bean, AOKP Magical Unicorn, and Pacman.

Of these, Pacman has the most features, but it doesn’t have the most performance.
      Slim Bean is close to stock and really quick.
      AOKP is good, it’s an excellent rom. I just dislike the logo and prefer CM.
      Wild for the night is the perfect blend of performance, features, and stability. It also has an awesome dev working on it.

I recommend trying a few different ROMS before making a decision, but if you’d rather not go through the trouble I stick behind recommending Wild-for-the-night for the time being.

As far as Kobridge’s builds go, the guy is brilliant. But I haven’t tested his builds at all. This is mostly because I severely dislike the included Sprint bloatware, and I actually use Virgin Mobile and need a third party fix to make my multi media text messages work on the phone.

14. Chris Ritter March 28, 2013 at 12:27 am #

in odin it just stops at NANd Write start what does this mean ? its not doing anything

15. Astiaan March 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

From the article: “I knew an official update through Samsung would never come”

Haha, as was in the news today, there is a JB update available for the E4GT, a few days after I rooted and rommed mine…

But it’s ok. I love my brand new CW mod! And I hated TouchWiz anyways…
    Austin, thanks again for the support man…

• Austin Krause March 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Wow! I’m truly awe struck by this! I’m actually working on writing up the details right now..

A few quick things to note about the official update:

– It’s only Android 4.1 (so it’s still way behind this Rom)
      – It can only update through KIES.

Very cool though for people that want to stick with Touchwiz….

16. yaj March 29, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

My computer cannot recognize the phone at all when connected through usb. When on and off usb debugging it does not work for windows 7 and mac lion. I know the usb cable is not the problem because I used it to flash in ODIN from my previous rom calkulin. How do I solve this problem?

17. Astiaan March 30, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Austin,
    Overall I’m very happy with the ROM. The only thing that doesn’t work properly is Bluetooth.
    When I connect my phone to my car or Pebble watch through BT it doesn’t transfer artist and title, and that is a pity.
    Any idea where to start in fixing his?
    Thanks!

18. Astiaan April 10, 2013 at 6:20 am #

Anybody know how to enable the PIE control in this ROM?
    I know it’s in there, but since we have HW buttons it’s disabled, but I’d still like them…
    Thanks!

19. Jay Williams July 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Just installed cyanogenmod 10.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) according to these instructions. Before, the wi-fi worked perfectly at home. Now, it just says “Not in range.” What’s going on here? I even went into my office and stood 2 feet from the wi-fi router and it just says “Not in range.” I expected things to be better, not for basic stuff not to work.

Any words of wisdom on my first ever aftermarket phone OS install?

Thanks,
    Jay

20. Jay Williams July 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

By the way, I don’t broadcast my SSID, but that didn’t matter before. And I added the network manually to the phone, so I entered the SSIS myself. Would this affect things? All my neighbors networks are appearing on my phone and none of them says “Not in range.”

21. Jay Williams July 28, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Looks like I can connect to my router via 802.11 NG-mixed, but not via N. I was able to connect via N before, so I’m not sure why this newer, “better” OS won’t let me do it.