How to Enable the Hidden God Mode in Windows 10

The previous three versions of Windows have a hidden feature that is referred to as God Mode. This allows you to access a folder that contains links to all of the settings available in Windows.

We recently showed you how to find Control Panel and other familiar Windows 7 tools in Windows 10. While that helps, you might want to try the hidden God Mode for access to over 40 categories of Windows settings and customizations. It’s basically a super control panel where everything is located in one central location.

Note: For this to work, you have to have Administrator rights for your PC. This process works with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, too.

Enable God Mode in Windows 10

Right-click on the desktop and select New > Folder.

Create New Folder

Now type or copy and paste in the following and hit Enter:

When you’re done you’ll see the following Control Panel style icon.

Tip: You don’t have to name it “God Mode” You can type in any name before the period when naming the folder. For example, in the shots below, I called it UltimategPMode. Have fun and name it whatever you want.

Ultimate gP Mode

If this is the first time doing this, when you open the God Mode folder, you’ll be amazed at the number of items that are available to you.

God Mode Contents

Just like any folder, you can search for what you want in it. In the example below I searched programs and features and got a list of eight related settings.

search god mode

If you want to, you can pin it to the Start menu. Just right-click the folder and select Pin to Start.

pin to Start

Then you’ll have the tile on your Start menu, and I would recommend moving it to a group called Admin or something similar. For more on that, read: How to Create Live Tile Groups in Windows 10 Start menu.

Related Article:  Log On to Windows 8 with a Four Digit PIN

God Mode Tile Start

God Mode makes it much easier to find a feature or setting that you need access to much faster than clicking through several screens.

Thanks to our long time reader Ziggy for making sure we finally got this tip up!

23 Responses to How to Enable the Hidden God Mode in Windows 10

1. Becky August 4, 2015 at 9:30 pm #

I had no idea! Why doesn’t Microsoft make this a default for users?

• Bill Sandeman August 10, 2015 at 12:49 pm #

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I must have tried 10 times, and all I get is an empty folder with the pasted string as the name!

• willie August 11, 2015 at 1:06 am #

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} i ve used this godmode on various laptops and pcs and never had a problem, except when i accidently left out the period between godmode and the bracket. when i did that it left me with what you are experiencing.

• Bill Sandeman August 11, 2015 at 12:14 pm #

Thank you Willie.

I did get there eventually! I was only pasting the part in the brackets, both with and without the brackets.

I knew it wasn’t that difficult because I had used GodMode in Windows Xp years ago.

Thank you again.

• MSman August 20, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

Bill – Try the this exact string: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Make sure to include GodMode. + the string 😉

• Aida August 22, 2015 at 11:48 pm #

MSman, I got it. Thank you so much!

• Bill Sandeman August 24, 2015 at 11:43 am #

Got it thank you!

• willie August 12, 2015 at 3:22 pm #

bacause in the earlier systems, godmode was available buy many vista and win 7 owners reported glitches shortly after creating godmode file, and eventually systematic shutdown of their operating systems, forcing them to reinstall from scratch.
      these days developers find it saves millions of dollars (that they would have traditionally spent to house and pay debuggers, its, and coders) to test new programs and features, by “leaking” experimental software on the internet, and allowing the general public to use the new cutting edge software as long as they agreed to do it at their own risk, and allow said companies to track their every movement and experience with the unpredictible new software. Thus ommitting any responsibility for any type of system or software damage incurred, and at the same time we ignorantly test their software across multi-platforms in a fraction of the time, and they save a fortune.

These days, when a big industry gives something away like windows 10 for free you have to ask yourself why(assuming you are capable of independant thought processing), and when you ask why it all comes bactk to the same thing.
      Windows 10, I love it, but that dosent change the fact that they track everyt movement, search, and keystroke and share the info with high end bussiness. The bussinessess are happy to pay for the info, covering the cost of “free” windows 10.
      And people never question why they see and ad on facebook of the same shoes, electronics, etc. that they were looking up on another site five minutes ago.

next time you go to your browser(internet explorer, chrome, or mozilla) and type about://flags in the address bar. If that peaks your curiosity, i can show you oodles of site where they keep records of your personal data and passwords, whether you choose to auto save or not.

2. Ziggy August 5, 2015 at 2:21 am #

An oldie but a good one to tame the beast that lurks in Windows 10!

3. Culchacritik August 5, 2015 at 6:35 am #

I’ve gathered literally thousands of Windows tips and tricks over the years, but this one was new to me. Great info GroovyPost. Keep ’em coming.

• willie August 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

have you tried about://flags ?

4. daddymack August 5, 2015 at 2:19 pm #

You instructions say Now type or copy and paste in the following and hit Enter:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} Where do I paste it to? I tried to paste it inside the new folder I created but the paste option is grayed out. And do I copy/paste the entire line or just {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}?

• Brian Burgess August 5, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

Copy and paste that string as the name of the folder.

• willie August 11, 2015 at 1:17 am #

first right click and copy this,

1.right click an open area on the desktop screen, new, 3. select folder

you should have a new folder on your desktop waiting to be named, some pcs will require you to right click the new folder you made, and then select rename. But 90% of the time they will automatically have the folder waiting to be named in blue highlights.

4. right click the area where you would name your folder 5. select paste 6. hit enter and your done. if you follow these steps exactly, you will have no problem. 🙂

5. Hreggviður Sigurðsson August 7, 2015 at 4:47 pm #

Well it din´t work for me 🙁

• Pancho August 7, 2015 at 6:56 pm #

when you right click on new folder-Ctrl V and enter! wa la !

• Hreggviður Sigurðsson August 8, 2015 at 11:35 am #

Thanks i finaly figured it out and it works Great tahnaks alot

6. jennybirgitta August 12, 2015 at 6:46 am #

Fantastic! I had no idea…

7. andi August 16, 2015 at 5:48 am #

the folder said cant contain characters {}$#%&*^

8. Mick Berg August 26, 2015 at 11:31 pm #

Exactly. You can’t use those characters in a folder name. What am I missing?

9. Mick Berg August 26, 2015 at 11:32 pm #

And I meant to say this, funny how the thread dead ends when this issue is mentioned.

10. Stefan August 27, 2015 at 9:31 am #

Hey, I don’t know what you guys are doing but it’s all working fine in here. Also the characters { and } ARE allowed in folder names.

If it doesn’t let you type it in manually, simply copy the following
    and paste it in with Ctrl+V as a filename when creating a new folder.

11. mgreen August 31, 2015 at 7:23 am #

You don’t have to have administrator privs to create the folder and pointers to items in it. You may need Admin privs to use some of the options though.