Stop Facebook from Autotagging Your Photos

Facebook is well-known for the privacy concerns it generates, and among the worst ones is photo tagging. Once you’ve uploaded your photo to Facebook and tagged it a few times, it will start to recognize your face and tagging suggestions will automatically show up for any photos of you that are uploaded by your family or friends.

Very annoying, especially if you don’t want to be tagged in embarrassing or any shot you don’t care to be in without prior permission.

Editor Note: We wrote about this a few years ago, but have updated it to include new changes based on the Facebook interface.

Stop Facebook Autotagging You

To stop this annoying behavior, log in to your Facebook account via your computer and and go to Settings.

Facebook Settings

Once you’re in Settings select Timeline and Tagging in the left column.

Timeline and Tagging

Then in the right column, in the third section, you can adjust the settings for reviewing tags, who can see them, and if you should appear in the tag suggestions for photos.

sshot-1

Facebook really does have a lot of privacy annoyances, and you might want to check out some of our other tips listed below to help keep your data more private:

The articles above are just a few of the many posts we have that will help you keep private on Facebook – for even more, click here.

Of course if you’re just sick of Facebook meddling in your life at all, make sure to check out our article on how to permanently delete your Facebook account.

6 Responses to Stop Facebook from Autotagging Your Photos

1. tim November 4, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Problem – Facebook does not allow me this option. Says that this is unavailable.

• lily November 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Quote:on my profile

“Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded? (this is not yet available to you)”

2. Cindy November 5, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

I agree with Tim.

I do like this advice, but this is what shows up:

“Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded?
    (this is not yet available to you)”

Perhaps it’s only available to a select group. 😉

C

3. Tim November 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

I think that Facebook is doing some testing so not everyone has access. Either that or it is because I am not located in the USA.

4. Cindy November 6, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Good point, Tim.
    I am also outside of the USA (in Canada).
    However, I don’t know if they differentiate or if they ever have with any other FB features.

5. Kristin October 1, 2016 at 12:36 pm #

What’s annoying is they tag friends without you asking. Then it tags the post and the only way to untag them is to either delete them as a friend or delete the post. I do NOT want my friends EVER suggested or tagged. Period. If I want it done, I will manually do it myself.