How to Customize Office 2016 for Mac Color Theme

Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac, Microsoft’s latest Office suite for Mac allows you to personalize the Office Theme between two different options. Unlike its Windows counterpart, the options are fairly limited. Keep in mind, changes to the Theme will apply to all Office 2016 for Mac apps including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.

Step 1 – Open an Office 2016 for Mac app. In my example, I’ll use Word. Click Word > Preferences

office 2016 for Mac change color theme

Step 2 – Click General

office 2016 for mac - click general

Step 3 – Under Personalize, click the Office theme drop down. Choose between Colorful or Classic.

office 2016 for mac Office Theme

As I mentioned earlier, the options at this point are very minimal when it comes to changing the Color Theme. It’s basically White or Blue. Being that the new Mac Office Suite was just released, hopefully Microsoft will add a few more themes in the near future.

, ,

7 Responses to How to Customize Office 2016 for Mac Color Theme

1. D. July 15, 2015 at 1:46 pm #

I wish they’d release a black theme, or something with more darker elements…

2. Souvik Roy July 17, 2015 at 8:38 am #

Thanks 🙂

3. Henk July 22, 2015 at 8:51 am #

I wish it will be possible to get rid of the ridiculous toolbars.

I . just . want . 1 . toolbar , with . the . buttons . I . need !!!.

Not ALL the possibilities Word offers. NOT 8-10 tabs of buttons. No window title bar. Nice to have, but for most work it takes TOO MUCH place.

The nicest feature in office 2011 was the “Focus” view. No cluster, just some general functions. And now thats gone. AAAAAH !

Stop making software, until you get it.

• kevin November 8, 2015 at 8:00 am #

ME TOO — since the ribbon first came out – I use a macro to assist in v14, but now I cant even have a bar under the ribbon with what I need – MS is useless!!!

4. Andrew December 7, 2015 at 11:33 pm #

I dont have the personalise option in preferences>general. Mine just shows Folder List and Default Application.

Any ideas?

5. Brian August 11, 2016 at 8:00 am #

“Unlike its Windows counterpart, the options are fairly limited.” Applies to literally everything in the Mac version of Outlook. It is a garbage application.

• Dean Lewis August 11, 2016 at 5:30 pm #

I AGREE. It is unreal how bad it is.