How to Customize the Microsoft Edge New Tab Page

Windows 10 has a new default browser called Microsoft Edge, as we’ve said in the past, it’s still a work in progress. Currently, it uses a speed dial feature like you see in Opera and other browsers.

It shows top and frequently visited sites, the ability to get top site apps which will open the Store, suggested news content, widgets for weather and sporting events. But if you’re not happy with the default selections Microsoft has included, there is some customization you can do, including having it open to a blank page.

Microsoft Edge

Customize Microsoft Edge New Tab Page

Launch Microsoft Edge and select the More actions icon (…) in the upper-right corner and then Settings.

1 Settings

Next scroll down to Open new tabs with and from the dropdown menu you can have it display top sites and suggested content, top sites only, or just a blank page.

2 Open new tabs with

While sometimes I like to see the suggested content, it does seem to slow the browser down a bit…takes a bit of time for the content to load. If you’re looking to increase performance and have no desire to see the extra stuff…just open to a blank page. It’s not a blank page like you’d expect in other browsers like IE or Firefox, but it’s cleaner.

Blank Page

If you are a fan of the suggested content, you can customize it to fit your interests better. Open a new tab and select Customize.

3 Customize

On the next page, you can also select from the customization displayed above and your favorite topics at the bottom.

4 Topics

There is a big update, codenamed Threshold 2, coming to Windows 10 later this fall. In fact, for those of us in the Windows Insider program, we’re already starting to get new builds — he last one was build 10547.

Related Article:  Microsoft is Finally Providing Windows 10 Cumulative Update Information

We expect to see support for extensions in Microsoft Edge, and hopefully even more options for customizing the new tab page, too.

What is your take on the new tab page in Microsoft Edge? Do you like the suggested content it displays or not so much? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts.

21 Responses to How to Customize the Microsoft Edge New Tab Page

1. Leo September 25, 2015 at 6:31 am #

Since recently I am missing the Top sites and suggested content on the new tab page, while all the settigs seem fine. It keeps on displaying a blank page. It was populated before. Any suggestions how I can trouble shoot this? I really liked it!

2. Sonjia September 28, 2015 at 8:21 am #

I’ll be sticking with IE 11 as long as possible. I want a tool bar and only IE has that.

• Steve Krause September 28, 2015 at 10:44 am #

I like Edge however it lacks all the add ons I use…. until it get’s those, I’ll be bouncing between my old Browsers too.

3. Alan September 29, 2015 at 1:27 am #

I would like to be able to “pin to the taskbar” Websites I use regularly !!

4. Bob K. December 8, 2015 at 5:36 am #

Why can’t I have as my new tab?
    I guess Edge is not for me!

• dieseloreo December 8, 2015 at 5:15 pm #

I agree, I cant set my home page as the default for a new tab… boooooooooooo

• phil January 3, 2016 at 8:15 am #

You can set your home page as the default page. Just open Edge–>
        click on the 3 dots …(top right of page)
        go to settings–>choose ‘a specific page or pages’ –>
        choose ‘custom’ and below that enter the web address of the page you want.

For example I used
        Edge now opens in Google.
        What we can’t do, as far as I can see, at the moment is set the New Tabs to the same settings. God knows why or how they’d overlook such a basic function. Lets hope they include it in updates. I can’t see any advantage in this browser so I’ll be sticking to Chrome.

• Gary March 18, 2016 at 11:46 am #

Yeah I agree, but if you open chrome go to your task mangler and take a look at just how many sessions it will eventually open. Do you really want Chrome sucking the life out of your system? it’s a memory but a memory hog just go ahead and try it not to mention all the (*) next to each one using up the already limited 32 bit memory in your system that is only limited to about 3.5 gb anyway total. Have fun my friend.
          Looking for IE 11 64 bit to see if it’s available for 2010.

• phil January 3, 2016 at 8:22 am #

oops sorry I thought you were talking about the first page. I see you were talking about New tabs. Ignore my comment. Yes it’s a a serious flaw in Edge. They’ll have to correct it in updates.

• Dusty April 16, 2016 at 8:54 am #

Because Microsoft (and most bigger companies) are masters of subversive market manipulation. If they force you to use only their products on their home page they might get sued or regulated, but, they CAN force you to use only their products on the new tab page without too much risk. Another tactic is to make it so difficult to use their competitors product or make a change to the default setting they want you to use that most users just give up and use Bing.

5. Happy Joy December 28, 2015 at 7:29 am #

Right! How hard d have to be? New tab should allow me to choose ANY page I want. Thanks!

6. Mark January 5, 2016 at 8:26 pm #

I want the choice to pick the page for the new tab, not be locked in to Microsoft’s 3 choices.

7. Charrel January 7, 2016 at 6:21 am #

I am looking for a speeddial or equivalent but there is not on Edge. So I keep my browser Firefox and his Speeddial addon.
    See you…

8. Edward Arndt January 17, 2016 at 7:09 am #

I need to set my new tab to a page that I choose. Sorry MS, going back to firefox.

9. Jerry Carwyn January 25, 2016 at 4:59 am #

I can’t wait for Edge to start supporting browser extensions, so I can finally use and Last Pass.

• Luis April 21, 2016 at 12:34 pm #

The new tab page in MS Edge is too basic!
      Its functionality is minimal. Its setting options are very limited.
      Yet, I do like the size of the page icons.
      And the speed at which the page loads.
      But the page icons are limited to eight.
      Is there a way to tweak the number of page icons showed?
      Do the new builds allow tweaking that setting to add more?

I do like the suggested content feature.
      Like the page icons, the news feeds load very fast.
      Also, the selection of content is simple.
      I wish I could embed my own choice of news feeds.
      Although the default offerings are useful, I rather see my choices presented.

Despite the new tab and the suggested content limitations, I’m using MS Edge exclusively.
      It’s fast, simple, and renders pages efficiently.
      Particularly I like the reading view feature, the reading list, and the hub in general.
      I’ve tried the Web note feature, but I don’t find it useful just yet.

Be careful what you wish for when you ask for extensions support.
      I think that MS Edge might get bloated when adding extensions.
      Its speed might suffer. And its security could suffer as well.

I like its current minimalistic footprint.

However, I do regret having to buy a whole system annual subscription ad blocker.
      Since ads tend to slow the loading of pages, I think MS should had included a native Edge ad blocker; just because it aids with page speed loading.

By the way, I have sent feedback to MS about adding an ad blocker to Edge.
      While checking their feedback entries, I noticed many users who want an ad blocker extension.

10. ian March 12, 2016 at 2:21 pm #

The reason they don’t allow you to put Google or any other web page as a New Tab option is that they are trying to force you to use the terrible MS search engine, they think if you are forced to use it you will get used to it and start using it !!!! NEVER

• Luis April 21, 2016 at 12:44 pm #

You can change the search engine that appears in the new tab.
      I’m using the Startpage Web search engine.

Click on the more actions icon […], then on [Settings], [View Advanced Settings], scroll down to
      ‘Search in the address bar with’, click on [Change], and input the link to your search engine of choice.

11. Gary March 18, 2016 at 11:41 am #

I have always been a user of IE but it seems edge is very limited and you can’t customize your new tab to just plain nice, clean, always dependable,

12. Patrick April 2, 2016 at 8:09 am #

It’s not that hard. Set New tab to Blank page. Go into Advanced settings and set Search in address field to Google. Maybe you have to set Home button to as well.

13. Dmitry August 9, 2016 at 2:59 am #

Is it possible to disable “Where to next?” on new tab?
    I want to see blank page on new tab (about:blank).
    I don’t need 2 address bars