How To Copy a DVD to an iPad, iPhone or iPod

Copying your DVD collection to an iDevice (iPad, iPhone or iPod) is very simple if you know how to do it. Recently my wife and I took a long flight with the kids. Having their favorite DVDs on my iPad and iPhone proved to be a life saver. Here’s how I copied the DVDs.

Decrypt DVD and Copy it to your Hard Drive

First we need to decrypt the DVD and copy its contents to our hard drive. To do this use a free application called DVDFab. Ripping a DVD with DVDFab is simple and Brian Burgess here at groovyPost wrote a step-by-step in his tutorial on how to convert a DVD to an ISO File. Follow his steps up to where he tells you to test the VOB files with VNC then continue below with Step 2.

Remove encryption and copy dvd to hard drive

Install HandBrake and Transcode the Video/Audio files

Now that DVDFab copied the DVD to our hard drive, its time to convert the files to a format our iPad / iPhone can read. We will do this with another free Application, Handbrake.

Open a browser and visit the Handbrake Download Page.  Download the version for your OS.

In my example, I will be using the Windows Version.

download handbrake

Run the installer and accept all the defaults.

Click Finish after the install is completed to launch HandBrake.

install handbrake

Continue Reading – Page 2 – Configure Handbrake >>

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to How To Copy a DVD to an iPad, iPhone or iPod

1. Mould Maker December 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

Great Jobs. Thank you for sharing for this . I follow it and make it !

• Brian Burgess December 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Thanks Mould Maker! HandBrake and DVDFab is a powerful combination for DVD, Blu-ray and video conversion.

Thanks for reading!

2. Shamo December 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Hello,

How do you do this using a Mac.

Thanks

3. Brian Burgess December 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

@Shamo there’s a version of DVDFab for OS X.

4. Tony Zuger March 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Will I be able to stream these movies to my apple TV? I want to use the iPad to stream movies from the iPad to the TV in the RV for the kids while we are on the road during family trips. I have the system setup in the RV and the mirroring works fine, but when I bought Lion King and tried to stream it, it doesn’t work. Apparently I need an Internet connection to confirm license via iTunes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony–

• Steve Krause June 19, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Hi @08bb98dd3ccc1f6a99969e5afeef5ebc:disqus

Well, you “could” in fact I’ve done it. What I do however is once the movie is converted into mp4 format via Handbrake, I drag and drop it onto itunes and share it out that way to my Apple TV.

That’s how we watch all our movies now, both my wife and my kids. All via ripped DVD’s (which I own) sitting in my itunes folder on my PC.

5. onne March 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

dvdfab is not free. what am i missing?

• Brian Burgess March 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

The DVD Decryptor tool of DVDFab is always free. That is the part that removes the copy protection from the disc.

• Steve Krause June 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Exactly. Like @d318f63ae34eaadde634bc6492184272:disqus mentioned, DVDFab is free as is handbrake. If you want to follow the same process for Blueray however…. that is not a free decryptor from DVDFab.

6. Steve Krause June 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

FYI – Just broke up the post a bit to try and make it a little easier to read and follow. Hope that helps everyone. It’s a big one!

7. Thomas January 19, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Great instructions. Just one problem. I copied a DVD with multiple languages and now I can play it in German, but how do I change the language? Any help would be appreciated.