Outlook 2010: How To Configure the AutoSave Feature

Outlook 2010 by default auto saves emails as you type them every 3 minutes to prevent you from losing work. Many people don’t know the setting is actually adjustable and here’s how to configure it.

Open Outlook and Click File >> Options

Outlook 2010 Options Menu

Click the Mail tab and scroll down to the Save messages section. Adjust the minutes between auto saves as well as other settings like where to save the email drafts using the drop down under Save to this folder.

Outlook 2010 Options Mail Settings

, , ,

6 Responses to Outlook 2010: How To Configure the AutoSave Feature

1. george November 8, 2011 at 10:37 am #

thanks for the articles. i found you through google to help me install my Windows RSS feed, and now I see you adding articles every day! Thanks for the help, these are good articles.

2. Nimesh December 13, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Thanks

3. mariel July 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Thanks!

4. Megan Vogel April 29, 2014 at 6:02 am #

I have my settings like this, but Outlook very often doesn’t do the autosave I have asked it to. I will get Outlook shut down randomly and come back and my draft is pretty much gone.

5. Steven February 25, 2015 at 12:41 am #

Hi Megan,

Just in case you still follow this old trend, which I ran into today while searching for a solution to the same problem you have/had:

I think that Outlook (2010, but 2013 seems to be the same, even worse, because of the way it creates an email in the main Outlook window, not a separate one as older versions) only creates the draft when you actually close the email you’re writing, and then reopen it. It seems like the first draft only gets created in memory, and is being lost if Outlook closes because of an error.

So the way to protect yourself from losing work is to start an email, write a few words, close it (with saving, of course) and then reopen it to continue working. After that, the draft that now exists on the hard drive (not just in RAM) will be saved every 3 minutes (or whatever default you have chosen) or whenever you Ctrl+S.

Cheers.
    Steven

6. mcrchicago February 18, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Thanks for your help. So setting the autosave feature is useless? My Outlook 2010 is crashing a dozen times a day on my PC. Our IT tech is useless. I set it to save drafts after one minute to try to keep my sanity. It used to save the current draft– up until a week ago. now it saves the first version after the first crash, all my subsequent edits are gone.
    Also, i keep 2 outlook accounts on my PC. Outlook 2007 used to save the current draft– when it did crash into the proper folder. Now 2010 will only save old versions of drafts from my personal email account into the drafts folder for my bosses account.
    THIS is progress?