How to Reset Chrome to Default Settings Without Reinstalling

Latest chrome build brings Reset feature

Chrome just updated again and with it comes a neat little button for tidying up. As of version (Stable) there is a new feature found in Chrome’s setting window that allows users to completely reset their browser. The result of activating this function will bring Chrome back to it’s initial state like it was at installation, with one particular benefit: it doesn’t erase your bookmarks. In other words:

Your browser settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage, new tab page and search engine, disable your extensions and unpin all tabs. It will also clear other temporary and cached data, such as cookies, content and site data.

Note: Extensions are not removed, they are only disabled.

To access the reset button open up the Chrome menuimage and click Settings.
From the settings window Click the blue Show advanced settings… link.

show advanced settings

Now scroll all the way to the bottom of the settings page.  At the bottom click the button, it will be labeled “Reset browser settings.”

reset browser settings

One more dialog page will appear. This gives you the option to decide whether or not to send your configuration data to Google. And lastly is the final reset button.

reset confirmation

After clicking it, viola! Chrome will have its default settings restored and all of the above mentioned changes will take place. If you have any tabs open they won’t be closed, however you may be signed out of whatever websites you are currently visiting.

6 Responses to How to Reset Chrome to Default Settings Without Reinstalling

1. Steve Krause August 22, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Not bad for those who mess around a lot with extensions. Also looks like a quick way to disable all the extensions you might have installed.

I also read somewhere that performance was tweaked again. You see anything on this?

2. Brian Burgess August 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

I am going to do this. My Chrome has been odd lately. Sigh…not a fan of clearing cache much though… well here goes!

3. Ziggy August 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

At last I have a version of Google Chrome which allows me to go to your site without freezing my laptop for up to 10 seconds. The reset option has been a godsend. Can’t live without my daily Groovypost hit!

Thanks for the notification of the new feature…Keep up the great work!

• Brian Burgess August 22, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Ziggy!

I have to say I have noticed that it’s more snappy now too. Then when it clogs up again, one click and we’re good — I hope that’s what happens anyway 🙂

• Ziggy August 23, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Summed up very nicely, Brian. That’s exactly what’s happening with me. When it clogs up, one click and all is o.k. Bit of a pain but I’d love to know why Chrome is the only browser that causes my laptop to freeze when accessing your site – regardless of what chrome iteration/flavor that I use. Firefox and IE 10 have no such issue…

4. Groove Visitor August 24, 2015 at 5:33 am #

This doesn’t help in the situation where you want to reset Chrome without actually running Chrome, for example in the case where you were forced to kill Chrome because you had opened a malicious web page. In that case, starting Chrome to get to Settings will re-open the malicious web page.

PS it’s “voila”, not “viola”.