How to Change the Office 2016 New Color Themes

Office 2016 Preview has an extra color theme to select from versus Office 2013, and are different than Office 2010 and lower. Here’s a look at what they are, and how to change them.

Change Office 2016 Color Theme

Launch any Office 2016 program and click the File tab and then Account. There under Office Theme select the color you want to use from the dropdown menu.

Office Color Theme

It’s also worth noting that this is where you can change the Office Background as well.

Another way to change the color and/or background is go to File > Options and under Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office select the color you want to use from the dropdown list.

Word 2016 Options

Here’s a look at each of the color theme’s that are currently available in the Office 365 Home Premium 2016 Preview.

Dark Gray

Office 2016 dark gray

Keep in mind that if you change the color in one app, it will change for all of them. Also remember, Office 2016 is still in beta, so Microsoft could remove some of these colors, or add more, and I hope for the latter.

What do you think of these colors themes? Do you have a favorite or wish there were more? Leave a comment below and let us know.

75 Responses to How to Change the Office 2016 New Color Themes

1. Jan May 30, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

So “colorful” just means blue? Big whoop! Still, it beats white, grey, and greyer or black, so I’ll take that over Word 2013. But what do they have against the old method of letting Word windows change colors when a user selects the colors for other active and inactive windows? Is the programming involved too time-consuming? Or has someone who prefers his/her world BLEAK decided to foist it on the rest of us? Again, I do appreciate the blue scheme, as at least having a real color. But it would be nice to have one scheme with a warm color for a change.

• Ron June 3, 2015 at 8:15 am #

Jan, colorful means that every app has its own color. Excel is green for example.

• Jan July 10, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

It also beats me how giving each app its own color is anything special–i.e., deserving of the name “colorful”. I have nothing against the idea, especially for apps like Excel, but Windows is used for so many things that I really want to be able to make it whatever color I want.

• Ciprian October 22, 2015 at 2:13 am #

Jan, exactly. It is really lazy of them to not have been able to include whatever hex color for the themes, especially for each module of each application in particular.

• Radu Mihai December 11, 2015 at 6:37 am #

I just got one yesterday at work – professional and has only 3 colors Dark grey, white and some kind of dark brown under “colorful option” which sucks by the way – when you have a shortcut selected that brown would not allow you to see anything under it so you have to know exactly the position of your shortcuts
            Too bad that 2010 was more user friendly than this one …Cheers

• Steve Krause December 11, 2015 at 7:41 am #

Yeah…. 2013 and now 2016 are both pretty grim when it comes to the color themes. Hopefully Microsoft listens to its users and provides us more options in the future. Unfortunatly, all my contacts there tell me it’s not on the backlog (yet….).

• Holly December 11, 2015 at 6:49 am #

I agree!! There really should be color options to choose.

• Radu Mihai December 17, 2015 at 9:34 am #

I went back to 2010 version after i tried to modify the luminosity on a picture in excel and every time i was changing something the picture would disappear After i tried few times was able to have the picture there but the spread sheet would come with no picture when i was trying to print and i hate that every excel spreadsheet is in another window
            ON the other hand Outlook would not allow me to select multiple attachments in the same time

• Bumfuzzeld May 19, 2016 at 4:52 pm #

BLEAK is the correct word. I liked when you could actually customize EVERYTHING. It took a while, but it was nice that it met your desire. Of course the world is changing…everyone is in politically correct, lock step. Now instead of “Send To”, you “Share”. Really? I attach it to an email.

Makes me want to barf.

2. Jan June 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm #

Thanks, Ron. I sure didn’t know that.

But it still doesn’t change how I feel about the bleakness and lack of color in MS Office, especially Word, which I use the most.

3. Steve July 9, 2015 at 8:39 am #

With the latest Patch Microsoft has just removed the Black Theme and forced all the users to use the Dark Grey theme. Seems we are going back to the typical, give users a bunch of options they want in the beta and then take everything away and leave a husk of the original product by release….

• Steve Krause August 1, 2015 at 11:05 pm #

… I really hope not. On the Mac side, it’s still pretty bland. Just hope they give us more options on the Windows side of things.

• Jan September 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

Oh no oh no oh no!

• Jan December 4, 2015 at 8:17 pm #

The thought of the ‘great’ choices for Word, ranging from blue to white to dark grey or black amusingly just brought back a memory I have of a very old record spoofing the Kennedy family, in which Jackie was leading a tour of the White House or some other famous building whose walls were covered with oil paintings, and she was saying, in that soft and breathless tone she had, “And there’s THIS one…and THIS one…and THIS one…” without ever saying anything different about any of the paintings.

4. D. July 10, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

Does anyone know where is this (Go to >Account>Office Theme ) thing on Office 2016 for Mac?

I go over to Word>Preferences>General>Personalize>…. and then nothing, just 2 choices. It is sad…

(When I type in Print Layout Mode, the page color and the background color are both too white. For instance, in previous Word version, the background was dark grey and the page was white -obviously- So, I dont know what happened…)

The darker themes above looks beautiful. I hope there is a way to do the same thing on Macs as well…

Anyone can help? Thank you.

5. K August 13, 2015 at 4:26 am #

Can I still enable the dark theme feature even if I’m not logged-in to my account?

6. Thank God September 5, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

About f#cking time…. These light themes on 2013 are HORRIBLE……

Where is the office 2013 to 2016 upgrade link?

7. frank September 9, 2015 at 1:20 pm #

try working a few hours with the new color schemes and if you are over 40 you will most certainly get eye disturbancesr headaches. i personally and in my company on the request of the users reinstalled office 2007 which has that nice pale blue backgrounfd that is not so straining on the eyes.
    frank, italy

• Valdez August 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

Yes, my head and eyes are bothering me!!!!!

• Rolf August 22, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Yes it´s really BAD! I can´t se anything anymore.
      I would like a mix from (Color and Dark grey)

• Stefan September 26, 2016 at 7:38 am #

Yes, the appearance is really annoying.

On one side the default “Color” doesn’t provide visual distinction (especially in outlook) between the different areas. While “Dark grey” is much better it still suffers from the Flat-Windows-10-Style look. The visual grouping / organization is inferior to Office2010.

On the other side “Dark grey” loses the advantage to recognize the different Office programs. A Mix of Dark and Color would be useful and surly simple to implement.

• Dan September 26, 2016 at 11:46 am #

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! These pastel colors SUCK!!! I can’t see them and it gives me a headache.

8. Tron October 1, 2015 at 9:45 pm #

Office 2010 was the last good release–it actually respected your general windows theme colors, title bars etc… 2013 was a joke! Even with 10000s of unhappy users screaming, pleading, begging Microsoft to bring back the regular colors…nope! “WE know what’s best for our users!”
    I don’t know how anyone could stand the million candle-power white staring you in the face…and the ALL CAPS menus (WTF?). 2016 is a little bit better, but heaven forbid we have a program that respects the general windows color schemes.
    That’s right up there with “We are putting the start button back in windows 8.1!” Yeah, it just goes to the metro screen anyway!

9. stan October 8, 2015 at 8:20 pm #

I had a IBM pc when they first came out…256k..mine might have been the second string, I think the first was 128k….anyway….I used to spend countless hours late at night downloading software from bulletin board services, mainly communications software. most of them would let you change your screens to any color you’d like and you could vary anything you wanted about them…I think outlook professionals think let’s keep it conservative because we don’t want to change the base because this might scare people away from the norm or even cause people to look at a colorful scheme and then think it’s just another ‘wow’ program that loses its unprofessionality. Unfortunately, with this mindset, they don’t understand that they’ve got an excellent piece of software that needs to be tweeked by the users. some users need colors and ‘wows’ to make them want to buy the thing, like ‘little ole’ me’….and plenty others i’m seeing. let’s give the user a chance to make their screens ‘wow’ screens again because some of us need this to come back again and again to the outlook product!!

10. Pete October 22, 2015 at 3:35 am #

I just acquired Office365 and configured the theme as suggested, and the one that works better for me is the white. However the reading pane and headers still seem a bit blury compared to the previous outlook.

Is there a way to configure the theme in general so that the fonts in general will look more bright or intense?

Thank you!

11. kayLacs November 4, 2015 at 5:55 am #

• Jan December 12, 2015 at 1:01 pm #

“Office 2016 Display Taskbar option was removed. So it shows a lot of screens if opened multiple files. NOT GOOD.”

Good heavens! What torture will they think up next? (And I am not trying to be funny.)
      Maybe this problem with the taskbar and the lack of freedom to choose colors (the lack of colors TO choose), is something like that old saying that if you set a monkey to typing and give it an infinite amount of time, it will eventually turn out the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica.

I say this, not to imply that MS employees are monkeys, because they are no doubt extremely intelligent people. It is just that I imagine that (the corporate system being what it is) there are a large number of people at Microsoft whose jobs depend on turning out “improvements” to various products–the OS a major one, but also things like Word. They can never sit back and say, “Almost everyone seems to like Word as it is, so let’s leave it alone.” Nor can they afford to just make one or two “improvements” to it now and then. They have to be constantly revising and providing fodder for updates. If they hadn’t made so many so angry, I would pity them.

Like the monkeys in the saying, they eventually arrived at the point of making hideous non-color choices for Word 2013, which also make it not only unpleasant for a lot of us to look at, but actually quite difficult for people with poor eyesight (of whom my poor husband is one).

I do appreciate useful updates like the one in Word 2013 that allows one to deal with “Track changes” by turning “Show markup–Insertions and Deletions” on and off in the margin, instead of the ribbon, but can’t help feeling that colors could have been left alone.

Hey, Microsoft, if anyone WANTS to work in a world without color, you could just give the rest of us a lot of color choices the way it used to be (I mean, way back when, when you could choose any number of colors for the title bars of any windows you might want to open–not just Word), and let people who think white, grey, and dark grey look more professional choose those “colors” to their hearts’ content. I will have red shading into yellow for active files and lavender shading into turquoise for my title bars, and Word will have strong lines showing where things (such as the scroll) begin and end, whether or not I am hovering over them.

But it’s just a pipe dream, huh? (sob)

12. AshTacks December 4, 2015 at 10:24 am #

Is there anyway to change the color scheme in just one office program? Or if you change one you change them all?

13. Endre December 9, 2015 at 3:43 am #

It seems, Microsoft intend to go back the 8 color scheme. Or go further, use only monochrome GUI. Why not ? Or use white ink on white background ? The development is borderless.

Seriously, our monitor is able to handle 16m colors. Think about Microsoft. It is not only a feature, rather an obligation to developers to utilize. The Windows10 new monocolor GUI is rather annoying than pleasing. The new Windows 10 logo is also a big step backward.
    Unfortunately, the other software companies following the MS new design ( Adobe, Corel, etc.) The new Adobe Reader DC is also a disaster.
    Fortunately, I’m old enough to force the use of this design long time.

• Jan December 12, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

Yess!!!!! White ink on a white background, and no borders! The ultimate in professionalism!

Whatever company decides first to provide its word-processing software with plenty of colors and at least a clearly visible/nearly invisible border toggle may surprise the world by the huge number of sales it makes.

Color just might give Corel or some other smart company a bit of an advantage over MS.

14. Lisa December 20, 2015 at 1:12 pm #

What I don’t understand is the lack of colors AND the idea that they would go back to prehistoric Microsoft and make EVERYTHING FLAT! What where they thinking? We are in the world of Hi Def. Monitors, TV’s, you name it, it’s high def. And now they decide to remove almost all of the color choices AND make it flat and visually unappealing in a world that is huge on color and appeal. And from what I can see it would appear Windows 10 is pushing the same boring look. I won’t be buying it anytime soon. I’m looking for new and cutting edge color and technology. Not 1980!

• Melanie March 7, 2016 at 11:35 pm #

It’s the triumph of Design over Usability. Microsoft has NEVER grasped that Design should improve Usability not make life harder.

• Jan March 8, 2016 at 8:54 am #

Melanie, you put it perfectly:
        ” the triumph of Design over Usability”!

• Andy May 20, 2016 at 1:37 am #

Well the more classic saying is Form over function, and yes this is so often correct.

• Rolf August 22, 2016 at 8:43 am #

Agree totally.
            Also annoying the new ClearType fonts, making everything blurry
            or put spaces between letters where there aren’t any.
            It´s like not having any chance to put the display to the native resolution anymore.

15. A Clarke January 13, 2016 at 8:00 am #

For those of us struggling with migraines, eye strain, etc., it’s important to be able to darken the screen and/or change the background to something other than bright white. After only a few minutes attempting to read/type in Word 2016 my head begins to pound. Previous versions of Office/Windows allowed the user to modify the page background settings to deal with this handicap – now you cannot find it even in the high contrast settings.

16. Nan January 14, 2016 at 8:54 am #

It would be very nice if we could choose our own colors. Those that you have offered up are not very attractive/boring. The green in Excel is a horrendous color. I totally agree with many of the above posts that we need more color options!

• Jan January 14, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

If, as someone suggested above, Microsoft is not being lazy, but is entertaining the misguided notion that everything must be flat and practically without color in order to look professional, they might consider this:
      Last week I watched the CNN feature Steve Jobs, the man in the machine, and was startled to see the pictures of the original “personal computers” that sold so well and took Apple to new heights. They came in several beautiful bright colors. I wish M/S would ponder that fact and realize that they can win more customers for Office if only they would give us more freedom with colors. Personally, if I ever stop doing the sort of work I do now, which requires me to use Word and Excel, I will be only too happy to seek out some other, more colorful programs for my personal use. Meanwhile, I can only pray that all the other companies are not infected by the minimalist bug!

17. Julie Unsworth February 6, 2016 at 3:50 pm #

I hate all the new versions for the very reason that it is BLAND, BLAND, BLAND. Makes my eyes sore staring at a white screen and scrunch up staring at a Dark Grey screen. Hope Microsoft get the message soon and go back to how it was in 2007!!!

18. Monica February 10, 2016 at 7:52 am #

I don’t care that the new color scheme is bland, but it IS hard to look at. Everything is various shades of gray. If the default font for folders and viewing emails were at least black on a white background it would provide better contrast so you could read emails without causing eye strain. Seriously – there’s a desperate need for a patch. FIX THIS!!!!!!!

19. Bobbi March 11, 2016 at 12:40 am #

I think it sucks that Microsoft Word 2016 only has 3 color options for the background. I don’t have the option for a black background. I have no idea where you got that from? How come we don’t have an option for a St. Patrick’s Day background or something pleasurable like that for us?

20. joe March 20, 2016 at 11:50 am #

What if you want to change the color of the page, not only the borders and menus?
    But just for reading.

I mean, if you print it you’ll get a white page but in order to read it you prefer black paper and lightgrey letters

21. Bumfuzzled April 8, 2016 at 8:24 am #

In Office 2016/Windows 10, how do you change the default color of the page in Word and Excel (on page in Word and the cells in Excel, when opening a new blank file)? I had Office 2007/Windows 7, and changed a global setting that set the default workspace to gray. I upgraded to 2016/10, and it carried over. I now want the default background to be white, but cannot get it to change. The theme colors in Account settings do not do it. Thanks for any help !

22. Rob Smith May 19, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

Am I the only one complaining about Windows 10 and Office 2016 hurting my old eyes?

The colors are woeful, either too white, lack of color choices and generally really hard to read.

23. Jan May 21, 2016 at 9:40 pm #

No, as you can see above, my husband and I have been complaining, too. Besides the pale, pale colors, I do not appreciate having some things remain invisible until the cursor nears them! What’s the point? Flat, colorless or pale, and sometimes invisible! What’s not to love? (HAH!)

24. CC West June 3, 2016 at 3:43 pm #

I just want to change the color of the wording in my emails? Is that not an option? I don’t like the blue words.

25. Jocelyn Hughes June 18, 2016 at 4:35 am #

What a bland palette that is on offer with no option to customise, I have several calendars and pale pink versus pale yellow aren’t great options. I used to have vibrant colours to clearly see at a glance which calendar I was working in. what happened to the option to select your own choice – 9 limp shades is not what I call colourful. Does anyone know of an add-in that that overwrite this lack of choice?

• Steve Krause June 18, 2016 at 11:44 am #

I don’t….. but yeah, Microsoft has been getting a lot of heat over this one. Perhaps someone here in the community can suggest a 3rd party tool (however, I’m not very confident MS actually allows 3rd parties to screw around with the Color themes…).

26. Mack Piotrowski June 21, 2016 at 10:29 am #

I like the Black theme. Is there a way in Excel to make the formula bar be white. highlighting a cell range to change a number is hard to view.

27. Eliza July 14, 2016 at 12:29 pm #

I, too, find the colors of Office 2016 awful. I am forced to go back to my old computer, which is loaded with Office 2010, to work on powerpoints because powerpoint 2016 just truly hurts my eyes! Not only is the ribbon color ugly, the screen brightness adds to eye strain. PLEASE MICROSOFT do something!

28. Sandie July 17, 2016 at 4:19 pm #

Really, Microsoft. How hard would it really have been to all us to customise to ANY colour we want??
    I have 3 choices only on my outlook and I’m not liking any of them. The blue is harsh, the dark grey makes it look like you work in a cave and the white is just plain boring. Wake up!

29. Beth July 20, 2016 at 10:36 am #

So, I have sensory issues and have been able to customize the background colors on Microsoft to colors that don’t bother my eyes. Are there no other options to filter the screen glare than Blue, Dark Gray and White? the light gray background with the Dark Gray option is fine, it’s the contrast of the Dark Gray that is too much! Can nothing else be done? Before I had so many options to customize . . . it seems like this version is going backwards in time.

30. Mark July 30, 2016 at 4:31 pm #

I am trying the Office 2016. I have 28 days to go, but the UGLY GREEN RIBBON on Excel 2016 page has to go! Can I get rid off it? Gray or lite blue (even a liter green) would be fine with me. Can anyone help? Thanks.

31. Susan August 11, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

It is always one step forward, three steps back with Microsoft. I have low vision and migraines and the new Office is killing me. It is just insane that 20 years ago, it was better on your eyes than it is now. And most of the time, Microsoft could not care less what the users think so good luck to us on getting anything better out of them.

32. John August 15, 2016 at 3:33 am #

Trialling Windows 2016 for 30 days – currently unimpressed with the LACK of colour options

33. Jamie August 15, 2016 at 10:05 am #

TERRIBLE. With all the technology out there in 2016, Microsoft should have a ton of color and theme options for this! Get on it!

34. Kika August 25, 2016 at 6:57 am #

HORRIBLE!!!! torture for eyes. I don’t like any of the Themes, even 2010 have the light gray which was better. Very disappointing and this is my work computer…In my family no one will buy Microsoft products anymore!

35. Robert Lake August 29, 2016 at 6:08 pm #

It seems that I am not the only one who is disgusted with Microsoft for changing such a useful option. Apart from ditching Office, has anyone actually found a solution to Microsoft’s created issue?
    As of today, it seems I can only have a white background, whereas last week it was my preferred light green?

• amjad moghul September 7, 2016 at 2:47 am #

Hi Robert,

I installed 2013 knowing that they had messed with the colours, and eventually went back to 2010. I dont know why MS thinks it needs to force people to use the bland and grey look on everyone, and then not let them change it either. Something which is very easy to do for them.

Instead they decide to take a leaf out of Apple’s book where everything is predetremined for you.

And the colourful options dont look like options at all. They just give a colour to each application! How useful is that?

Is it any wonder why MS phones have tanked? Why Windows 8 Tanked because they want s to go to a totally new (and useless) way of working. Even if you had given us the choice to say pick the new Desktop tiles or the Old start button – but no, they bet that we would keep buying like Apple fans, but instead people voted with their money

Give us flexibility MS, and we will continue to support you.

The fetures in 2013 didnt justify the lack of colours and bland look for me. I imagine 2016 will be the same. So until they listen to the user – I’ll keep to my Windows 7 and Office 2010

36. Lorna OBrien September 3, 2016 at 9:39 am #

Not happy about the very wishy washy look of ‘colourful’. Very hard on the eyes.

37. J. Crane September 6, 2016 at 6:07 am #

The color tones mandated by Microsoft are either too glaring or overly stark/bland. My eyes protest looking at the screen immediately and actually ache after an hour of working with the programs. I guess that’s part of Microsoft’s office-exercise program, because it keeps me away from the screen a lot more. Any little errand to get away from the color scheme is welcome.

Simply put, the colors are hard on the eyes when one has to look at the computer for work all day. The more muted color palette of the Word 7 AND the ability for the USER to select the color tones really needs to be returned to the Microsoft programming. Especially get rid of that red tone Microsoft is foisting on those who use Powerpoint 16. Yech! Gives a whole new meaning to “Murder, She Wrote.”

Let us at least be able to (easily!) CHANGE the palette to one that suits us individually. And, just perhaps, Microsoft could consider contracting people who specialize in ways to reduce eyestrain when they do their design color selection, to test it first..

38. bob hyde September 15, 2016 at 2:37 am #

There really should be colour options to choose, perhaps pale blue or green.

This may help more mature people.

39. laura September 19, 2016 at 9:07 pm #

It still does not leave this option to alter the color theme at all on my macbook pro, I’m still at a dead end with a blinding white screen to try and navigate. No problem if I transition to a a PC, but utilizing MS Word on my Mac is impossible right now and it’s so frustrating because that’s what I use for everything school related.

Does anyone have any suggestions without having to do a mimimum of a theme change before and after submitting papers?

I also have this problem with internet sites, I can’t see fields where I am required to type information into such as name, email, etc… and all of my software stays very UTD.

40. Mike September 23, 2016 at 8:01 am #

I seem to remember in (really) old versions of windows you could change the colour of all things, and that was in the days of rubbish monitors. Now i have a lovely 4k curved monitor and I can only work in ‘colorful’ (read horrible) or bright bland; what a waste of a few million colours!

Cut a long story short, 20 years on and now with marvelous hardware and I get sore eyes, and all because of someone else’s view of what a good colour is. Please Mr Microsoft let us decide on what a good colour scheme is….

41. Mark McDonald September 24, 2016 at 1:23 am #

How do you get rid of the cursor delay.
    Noticable when you type a long line, then a very short one.
    Then you move the cursor with the arrow keys.
    Its very annoying to me, I cant explain it.

• Mike September 24, 2016 at 1:53 am #

Sorry can’t help but I agree that cursor delay is really annoying

42. Terry October 4, 2016 at 8:13 am #

I have MS 365 which I suppose is the same as MS 2016. The colour themes mentioned here don’t work. I have simple black and white. Worse, I cannot use colour in my fonts or highlight. If I indicate, for example, red text – it shows as black – although when I cut and paste that document to wordpad or print it out on a printer the colours then show. I suspect it may be related to formatting that is done without my knowlede because initially even the hyperlinks were in black. Then, when I used the “remove formatting” the hyperlinks showed up in blue – but all other text, highlighting, fill etc still fails to show colour. Can you help?

• Steve Krause October 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm #

When you say MS 365, do you mean Microsoft Office 365? Make sure you are running the latest version. Open Word, Click File > Account > Update Options (drop down) > Update Now.

The latest version of Office 365 (aka Office 2016) is Version 1609 (Build 7369.2024).

If you have an older version that’s not updated, you probably need an update.

43. stephen joseph zack October 4, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

One word comes to mind: “fhidious”

44. Terry October 5, 2016 at 7:33 am #

@Steve Krause. Thanks for detailed reply. Unfortunately, all aspects you have mentioned have been applied. It is indeed Microsoft Office 365. It is the latest version. I have tried all the “color themes” as detailed above – none have any impact on my black & white screen. I have opened various Word templates – none show colour when opened, except for permanent aspects of the design. “Place holder” titles and text in color show in black & white only. I have defined more precisely the problem.
    1. It applies to the following Office 365 aplications: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. However, OneNote is OK, allowing text and highlighting to show in any colour. As well no other program on my computer that allows coloured text is affected – thus my computer settings are not the problem.
    2. In these faulty applications, color can be applied and is shown in the subequent document when it is printed out, e-mailed, saved to an other device, or “cut & pasted” to OneNote or Wordpad – but it cannot be seen within the app on the screen where it is originated. Thus I had multi-coloured emails and attachments being sent to colleagues who suspected that I had become senile, because unknown to me, the text was brilliantly multi-coloured – reflecting my failed attempts on the originating computer to obtain color.
    3. More detail: when colour is applied to text, while failing to show the colour on the screen, the “Font colour” icon in the “tool bar” reflects the changed colour when the cursor is placed on that part of the text. (i.e.when the icon is opened to show available colours, there a black border around the colour of the letter on which the cursor is stopped.)
    3. A further bizare aberation: Even within the faulty MS365 app on my screen, Email addresses and hyperlinks turn blue and are underlined when inserted into a text, as they should, even when on the screen – unlike any other attempt to show applied colour..

45. LABurlet October 5, 2016 at 4:55 pm #

Steve – how do we change the border thickness of windows within Office 2016? i.e. talbe and query windows within Access are only 1pixel wide and very difficult to grab and resize

46. Ron Lynch October 11, 2016 at 3:14 am #

Any way to change the font size? E.g. on MS Outlook 2016… When reading an incoming email, the font of the header information is minute and is causing me eye strain. I can change the font in the screen that lists messages, but cannot work out where to change it for the email headers. I can change the font within the text of the message itself using the mouse wheel, but the headers have alluded me so far. The same applies when editing a new contact.

47. Endre Tollar October 16, 2016 at 4:17 am #

I think, Microsoft has no time to watch – or react to – our complain. They are too busy to develop less color scheme. Anybody heard about positive reply from Microsoft ?

The first comment has been born 17 months ago !!!

48. Terry October 16, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

MS did not react to our complaints. But I opened a “chat” and got a technician (I think he was in India by his name, but there is no accent on “chat”). He immediately solved my problem (see my post on Oct 5). He took control of my computer, went into the control panel/personalization/change the theme, and changed my WINDOWS theme. He told me in the chat that there was an incompatibility between MS365 colour themes and Windows themes. The fix simply involves changing the Windows theme, by trial and error, until one works. In my case the first change did the trick. ALL my colour works now, i.e. themes, fonts, highlight, fill etc in Word; it also now works in all the other MS Office applications such as PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook etc. I was impressed by the quick fix, which did not cost me anything because I had just bought the Office programme, but I am disappointed with Microsoft who has NOT adised its clients of this simple fix for an apparently widespread problem. I am also astonished that it seems prepared to leave the problem unfixed.