How To Change the Default Font in Outlook 2010

Love it or hate it, people use custom fonts when sending email from Outlook and other email clients all the time.

custom fonts in outlook 2010

If you have a particular font that you always use, here is how to set Outlook to automatically use it by default everytime you write a new email.

Click File and open the Options menu.

outlook 2010 options

Click the Mail tab and then select the Stationery and Fonts… button.

outlook 2010 mail options

Here you can change the font for each type of message you’ll be typing. The categories are:

• New mail messages – These are used when you just click Compose and start a new blank email.
  • Replying or forwarding messages – These are used when you reply to or forward an email.
  • Composing and reading plain text messages – These are used in emails where most of the formatting is removed.

Select the font of your choice, style, and size. There are a few other options available as well such as color, bold, italics, underlining, strikethrough, script, and caps.

advanced signature and stationery options in outlook 2010

For even more formatting options, don’t forget to check out the Advanced tab.

font > advanced tab

Once you’ve customized your fonts they should automatically be used whenever writing emails in Microsoft Outlook. Have fun!

, ,

7 Responses to How To Change the Default Font in Outlook 2010

1. Tom Pratt July 31, 2013 at 11:53 am #

good clear direction that worked. Thanks.

2. Paul January 31, 2014 at 9:21 am #

I change the settings but it reverts to the original ones. “Set Default” is greyed out so cannot use that. Help!!!!!

• Don January 11, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

Did you ever find a solution? Same problem driving me crazy on a friend’s computer. Trying to troubleshoot from another city if difficult. Friend is not technical enough to edit the Registry as some solutions suggest.

3. Linda Lyons March 5, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Thank you so much. I was able to follow your clear and specific directions and change my fonts and colors.

Thanks, again.

4. Laura Jephcot May 3, 2015 at 4:58 pm #

I have Microsoft Outlook 2010. When I open an email it changes the font to one I don’t like at all. I want it to be the same font I’ve set as default for all incoming messages in the inbox. How do I get opened messages to stay the same font as unopened messages? [Tahoma 12pt Bold]

Thanks for any suggestions.

5. Dan November 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm #

Is there a way to change the font in every folder with one operation? For some reason Outlook decided it liked an 8pt. font and now I have to change it manually in every single folder.

6. Elsy June 30, 2016 at 4:46 am #

Thank you so much that was clear and very helpful steps.