Change the Default Signature in Windows 8 Mail

The Mail app in Windows 8 has a boring and generic signature, “Sent from Windows Mail”. When you make the switch to Windows 8, and use the Mail app, you’ll probably want to change it to something more informative or turn it off.

From the Windows 8 Start screen, launch the Mail app.

Windows 8 Mail App

While in the Mail app, use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + C or swipe from the right side of the screen to the left to display the Charms bar and select Settings.

Settings

Under Settings, tap or click on Accounts.

Accounts

Now select the account you want to change the signature on.

Select Account

Scroll down and change the signature in the field where the default one is. Or, you can turn off using a signature completely.

Signature

After changing the Signature, you can close out of Account Settings.

new signature

The change will be immediate, there’s no save button to press.

new sig email msg

Changing the Mail signature is easy, just like it is on the Apple side with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

11 Responses to Change the Default Signature in Windows 8 Mail

1. iMonkey October 10, 2012 at 10:53 am #

that doesn’t work at all. There are not signature options on my version.

• cheesepuff2000 March 16, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Hi there iMonkey,

To make it work you must go to “Settings” then once you are in there you click/tap on “Users” and switch to a Microsoft account. The steps are simple after you have set it up try it again and I am POSITVE that it will work! 😀

Kind Regards

cheesepuff2000

2. Christopher Sims November 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

3. don wilmer January 17, 2013 at 1:35 am #

Thank you so much, Brian. It turned out to be embarrassingly easy! Damn! Why didn’t I figure this out on my own!!

• Brian Burgess January 17, 2013 at 1:52 am #

@twitter-62818589:disqus You bet! Most of the metro style apps are stupid easy, I catch myself over thinking basic functions all the time. Then kick myself when I realize it was so easy.

• Steve Krause January 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Yeah… it happens Don 😉

Good news is we had the answer for ya!

4. Elijah Waeterling January 23, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Thank you!

5. Matt March 12, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

Thanks — this helped. Any idea if it’s possible to add rich text? My company has a logo and links in our std sig.

6. Brian Burgess March 13, 2013 at 1:07 am #

@Matt: Not yet that I know of. The built-in Windows 8 apps — especially Mail need much improvement. Hopefully we’ll see some new features like that added in future updates.

7. carlen August 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Hi there – I noticed when I set my signature with the working hyperlinks from the online Hotmail account, it works just fine, but when I try to add the same signature to windows 8, the links are not functioning! Is there a way to fix this? Thank you