Change the Default Font Size and Style in Word 2013 and 2016

Microsoft Office changed the font size and style to Calibri 11 pt in Office 2007. For a lot of users, the size is too small, and some of you might want to change the font style as well. If you’re using the new versions of Microsoft Office — either 2013 or the 2016 preview, here’s how to set the default font size and style to what works best for you.

Change Font Size and Style in Word 2013 and 2016

First, launch Word in Microsoft Office 2013 or 2016 and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+F to open the Font dialog box shown below. Here is where you can change the default font style, size, effects, and even the color if you want.

After you choose your settings, make sure to click the Set As Default button in the lower left corner. If you only click OK, it will change the font for this document only.

Microsoft Word Font Screen

After making your selections you’ll get a confirmation dialog box where you want to select All documents based on the Normal template and click OK.

Now every time you open a document, the default font size and style will be exactly what you set it to. It’s worth noting that you can use the same steps in Office 2010 too.

Unlike changing the Office color theme, which changes all of the apps in the Office suite, you need to change the default font in each app individually.

For example, here’s how to change the default Outlook 2010 font.

Related Article:  Have You Upgraded to Office 2007 SP3 Yet?

10 Responses to Change the Default Font Size and Style in Word 2013 and 2016

1. jimbo November 6, 2015 at 1:01 am #

Cheers from me
    product sans!

2. Gilbert Dispaux November 23, 2015 at 1:27 am #

Thank You for your good word ! However, what I would liketo know is how to change the styles : word opens a window for choosing “Normal, No Spacing, etc.”
    I am trying to open any new document with “No Spacing”.

Thank You again for any help.

3. Rodney Farke December 6, 2015 at 6:33 am #

i can’t make the changes stick; it always comes back to Calibri 11 when I restart the program; I have Office Pro Plus 2016.

4. Brandi Jauregui February 22, 2016 at 10:17 am #

I have the same issues as Rodney….the changes never stick. Is this a bug?

5. Tom Merritt March 24, 2016 at 7:47 am #

I was elated to find this post as this has been driving me crazy for a long time. I am using Office Pro Plus 2016. This tip does appear to work BUT it does not work for Headings as they remain the original font. I seem to remember some .ini files or similar files that could be changed to really make this global.

Wish there were a way to just switch the font but not the size and substitute Arial for Calibri 11 and let the fonts sizes in Word for Normal and Headings to have the same font size spec as Calibri. That would be the hot setup. I don’t understand why MS has to make this so difficult? Should be an easy and basic adjustment unless some complications under the covers makes it more difficult than I think.

6. tommy solberg March 30, 2016 at 5:27 am #

This does not work for me. Can you give me something else that will work on Word 2016. I can’t use Calabri 11, I need to change. Can you refer me to another source?

7. Jack April 16, 2016 at 11:12 pm #

I experienced the same problem (ie font default changes not sticking)

A simple way to correct the problem is as follows:

– highlight a line in the text document
    – select FONT(Shift+Control+F)
    – Change to font as desired and click OK (NOT ‘set as default’)
    -Click back to the text
    -Highlight the altered text and select FONT again
    -Select “set as default”

The above two-step operation worked for me.

8. Gabi Oprita May 18, 2016 at 7:19 am #

Style : Normal
    press Line and Paragraph Spacing
    choose Line Spacing Options
    Spacing : before and after: 0 pt
    Line Spacing : Single
    press Set as default
    This is for Office 2016 and trust me : it’s working !

9. Webdawg August 25, 2016 at 7:26 am #

Thanks Gabi Oprita, That did it. At first only the font was changing. Now I have single space each time.

10. Theresa August 31, 2016 at 9:23 am #

Is there a way to change the font for only responses? So if I have a word doc with questions and I send it to someone, they can type their answers in a different color automatically? Outlook does this, but I can’t seem to find a way to get Word to do the same thing