AT&T Cutting Unlimited Data Plans On June 7 for iPhone and iPad

Groovy NewsRead and shop fast because effective Monday June 7, At&t will be killing their rather groovy Unlimited data plans for the iPad, iPhone and other Smart Phones.  New users will be stuck with their new plan, which is going to limit data usage to 2GB per month for $25.  Really?  2GB per month??  What do they think this is, 1998 where 2Gigs of memory used to cost $1200.00?

Personally 2GB per month is a far cry from the amount of data I consume every month on my iPhone.  I imagine on an iPad it will go even quicker since it has the larger screen and will primarily be used for voip, video, images, music, and other media.  If you take a look at our groovy article on internet connection speed it can give you a good idea of just how little 2GB per month is, but in short it’s barely enough to stream one full feature film (depending on compression).

The optional 3G Unlimited data plan went for $30 per month on the iPad, and about the same price on the iPhone.  The difference is on the iPhone the $30 per month plan was mandatory on based on a 1-2 year contract which is typical I guess unless you’re familiar with At&t’s exceptional half-baked 3G coverage however the iPad was always based on a 30 day contract.  Anyway…

Here’s the good news (at least for a few more hours) – If you order the 3G iPad by June 6 (tomorrow) you’ll be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.  At&t made a groovy move and they are honoring their agreement with everyone who is already on unlimited data and keeping it live for them as long as you purchase your iPad by 11:59PM June 6th!

Related Article:  Windows 10 Mobile: Change the Outlook Mail Signature

iPad unlimited data plan change

If you order the iPad on June 7, you’re to late.  All new customers will be stuck with the new plans, that is if you want to still keep At&T.

The new At&t data plans starting June 7

• DataPlus: $15 / month – 200 MB data limit
  • DataPro: $25 / month – 2GB data limit, and ability to include the add-ons below.
  • Add an extra 1GB of data for $10 / month, no maximum
  • Add tethering for $20 / month (tethering is the ability to use your iPhone like a mobile router for your laptop and other devices and give them internet access)

At&t claims that the new plans will further benefit their customers by lowering costs, since “the majority of customers use less than 2GB per month” anyways.  If you ask me, At&t is trying to cut costs AND boost profits as they know the iPad is a game changer and will soon be driving huge bandwidth across the net.

So with that said, if you want to get in on that sweet unlimited data plan for the iPad you have to order sometime between today and tomorrow!  The same goes for iPhone users too, but At&t plans on not honoring the grandfathered in data plan for the new 4G iPhone coming out this summer which is probably the REAL story here….

, , , , ,

8 Responses to AT&T Cutting Unlimited Data Plans On June 7 for iPhone and iPad

1. Robert June 6, 2010 at 5:30 am #

wtf….30 dollar? I pay 2.50 euro per month for unlimited internet on my phone.

• MrGroove June 6, 2010 at 10:32 am #

But I’m going to guess you have “options” in Europe. 😉

AT&T I’m sure will be renewing the “exclusivity” of the iPhone and iPad long term therefore they can pretty much charge what they want for now. Is that bad? Well… it’s business I guess. Some might actually call it a monopoly but with the Google Phone / Android starting to compete it’s not like we don’t have other options.

2. D Ross June 6, 2010 at 5:58 am #

Actually, it could be the cold reality that they have limits on data transmission, and hope to limit serious down-loaders until their technology meets the demand.

• MrGroove June 6, 2010 at 10:35 am #

@D. Ross – I agree. I’m sure there are a few out there ruining it for the rest of us however, $30 for unlimited you would think should cover that problem not to mention that $30 doesn’t even cover the cost for tethering either.

I pay ~$30 a month on my home Internet Connection and I know I pull way more content through that connection than I ever will for my phone. Somehow Verizon makes the numbers work. I think AT&T is just trying to re-coup some of its “Exclusivity” costs since they basically have a legal monopoly on the product.

• shockersh June 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Very true. What I think would be more reasonable however would be $30 for 30GB then $10 for every 10GB after that…… $30 is a lot of cash if you think about it since your only getting 2GB.

Now…. that all being said I wish I could go somewhere and see how much data I’ve been pulling down month over month so that way I would know how close I am to the 2GB limit. Perhaps my phone bill??? I’ll go take a look and report back!

• MrGroove June 8, 2010 at 8:34 am #

I beat ya to it.

The process is simple. Just login to the AT&T Wireless website and from there you can pull your using for the last 6 months or so.

3. Animis June 8, 2010 at 3:19 am #

And with that said, I’ll be buying an Android phone and getting an unlimited data plan elsewhere.

4. Susan peelor December 12, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

I have three accounts through att. They advertised a bundle service at a reduced rate. When Icalled them they told me I didn’t qualify because I was an existing g customer so I had to pay all of the higher rates. I am getting new service