Apple iCloud: Share Public and Private Calendars

A cool feature of Apple’s iCloud service is it allows for calendar sharing. Here’s how to share public and private calendars.

First go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.

After signing in, click on Calendar.
icloudcalendar

On the left hand side, you’ll see your calendars. Click the button next to the calendar name to display sharing options.

Click to make your calendar accessible by anyone or privately with a select group.

To share privately, type the name of a person in your address book you want to share it with. If the person isn’t in your address book, type in their email address. That will send them an invitation.

A question mark will display next to the persons name until the invitation is accepted. Once they do, it will change to a green check mark.

This is also where you can change the contacts permissions.

To stop sharing a calendar, select their name and click the red minus icon.

Once you’re done adding people and giving permissions, click OK.

The calendar invitation will be emailed so they can join it.

Once the recipient clicks Join Calendar, they’ll be taken to iCloud.com where they can accept the invitation and view your calendar.

If you want your calendar accessible by anyone, choose the public option after clicking the share button.

When you click share, it’ll generate a link you can send.

Click Email Link select the recipients to send it to.

The interesting thing with Public calendars is it doesn’t send you to iCloud.com. Instead, on Mac OS X, it opens iCal.

Windows users can subscribe to the calendar with Outlook.

shared Calendar

If you want your calendar to be viewable on Mac and Windows, the best option is to make your calendar Public. To make it private, the person you’re sharing with has to be an iCloud user.

, ,

8 Responses to Apple iCloud: Share Public and Private Calendars

1. Kaz December 28, 2011 at 7:53 am #

Its a good thing to note, an iCloud account requires an iOS 5 device in order to be activated properly, the person you are inviting can’t just download the iCloud control panel for windows and run with it. So if you are trying to share with someone who doesn’t buy into Apple equipment you either have to let them borrow something to activate the account or use the public option.

• Steve Krause December 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Thanks for the added info on that Kaz. Good point.

2. Jim Seybert December 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Is there a way to share all of my calendars at one time? I’m trying to find an app that will allow clients to view my calendar and either book or at least request appointments. I was using Tungle, but it won’t sync with iCloud.

3. Jason Blaine April 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks for the article Steve. I’m putzing around with trying to share a private calendar with some work friends. Something I’m not clear on, and maybe you can help me with, is if the person accepts the share request on iCloud.com and signs in with their iCloud user name, with that shared private calendar then automatically show up/push to all their iCloud enabled devices? If not, do you know how I can facilitate that? They don’t seem to give me a URL people can use to manually subscribe.

Thanks! Great work on the site.

4. entelina July 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Hello, as maybe you remember when you shared a calendar with MobileMe account you have a public URL which redirect to a webpage with the calendar (web format) and you could see it in all the devices with a worser, I use that in order to share my calendar with
    the students, and future clients. But now I can’t do the same with iCloud (the url, is a link to the .ical and you only could use it with apple or outlook…

Do you know if there is any intermediate to show your calendar in the web? (as you could do before with MobileMe? see the image attached)

Thanks you.

5. spurious July 27, 2012 at 6:21 am #

I have a bunch of calendars (because Apple won’t let me have a different color for each event). I want others to see my whole schedule and not one calendar at a time.

How do I share them all at once?

6. Ben Hughes August 8, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Can you view a ical public calendar on iCloud.com though?

7. Raoul Teeuwen October 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

I tried this this night, since i wanted my daughter with her Android to see our family calendar. But i can’t click the ‘Join calendar’ button in the email on her Android in the Gmail app…