How to Manage User Accounts On Android 5.0 Lollipop

A cool feature that was added to tablets running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean was the ability to add and configure multiple user accounts. However, it was only available for tablets, and not smartphones.

For more on that, read out article: How to Configure Multiple Users on Nexus 7 Tablet.

Android 4.2 user accounts tablets

Now in Android 5.0 Lollipop, adding multiple users to phones and tablets is possible and it’s easy. Here’s a look at adding, removing, and configuring user accounts on Lollipop.

Note: For this article I am using a Nexus 7 running Android 5.0, but you can do it on your phone too, the interface may look different but the process is essentially the same on stock Android.

Android 5.0 Lollipop User Accounts

To access user accounts, swipe down on on the screen to bring up the Notification Center and tap the user icon at the top right of the screen. That will show yourself as a user and you can tap to add a guest or add another user.

Start Managing User Accounts

Adding a new user allows you to share your device with other people. Each user will have their own space and can customize their own apps, wallpaper, and other settings.

One thing to keep in mind is that full user accounts can tweak device settings like Wi-Fi, which will affect everyone on the device. Also, when a person is added they can update apps for other users too. If you do want a closed off account so someone can borrow your device, just create a Guest account.

Verify Add User

Verify you want to create the new user and then hand your device to the user so they can follow the on-screen wizard or enter their Google account data, install apps, set up a passcode…etc and then they can start using  the device.

New Account

To switch between users, pull down the notification center and tap the user icon once, then the user account you want to switch to.

To remove a user, go to Settings > Users, tap the garbage can icon next to the user you want gone, and all data will be removed, i.e, pictures, documents, contacts.

Delete User

Are you running Android 5.0 on your device and added a user account? If so, let us know what you think about it in the comments below.

14 Responses to How to Manage User Accounts On Android 5.0 Lollipop

1. sonu March 22, 2015 at 5:41 am #

How How can i create second user in micromax unite 2.there is no option to create second user please tell me fast.
    Am so sad please help me

2. Samuel March 22, 2015 at 2:05 pm #

OK… I get that but I need help I need to manage my brothers account. He wants to download some stuff not from the play store but from the internet but it won’t let him? Why can’t I change it so he can download stuff from the internet? Do I need dev options? If so how do I get it in the second user, tapping the build number doesn’t work

3. john April 1, 2015 at 11:59 am #

Hello
    I run android 5 lolipop on a Sony Z3 compact, just upgraded yesterday.
    Created a user but there is jo way for me as an admin of the phone to delete it.
    Problem is I created a pattern for this account and can’t even remember it to try to see if I can delete the account if I’m the account owner.,

Any help possible ?

• John April 6, 2015 at 6:31 am #

I have manged to delete the user completely using its settings icon. aparently i was clicking it in a wrong way earlier

4. Taleb April 5, 2015 at 4:03 am #

Just upgraded my Verizon note4 to android lollipop, there’s no options to create a new user. Do you think that version has disabled this feature?

5. sanket_sy May 19, 2015 at 3:03 am #

There no option on my unite 2-5.0 lollipop to add guest used

6. Mahesh Bobba June 3, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

Hi I am not able to find users option in my Sony xperia c3, I have updated to Android 5.0, plz help me on how to add users

• g July 5, 2016 at 11:24 pm #

me too 🙁

7. John June 3, 2015 at 11:24 pm #

Hello Mahesh Bobba

You can go to settings -> Users
    Then you will find there all users and an add button
    Or
    When you pull down the menu from the top of your screen twice, at the far top-right corner, you will find an icon for the user clicking it will open the users menu, whether to switch users to new user,or guest user.

Hope it helps
    J

• yashar September 9, 2015 at 12:45 pm #

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A running lollipop. But when I go to settings there no option called users. what can I do?

8. Sarthak Gupta June 4, 2015 at 7:32 am #

I am unable to add guest account on my unite 2 with 5.0 lolipop……………………

9. Faiz July 31, 2015 at 8:36 am #

Getting the same problem in unite 3.
    No options available to add “guest” or “user”…..
    Would b great if anyone can hlp….

10. Anjali October 10, 2015 at 5:03 am #

Hi… I’m not able to use find user option in my micromax Android one lollipop 5.1.1…. Plz help me to enable it

11. nuwaid August 20, 2016 at 11:08 am #

how to move my file owner to guest