You may have noticed that many people who comment on groovyPost have a photo of them display next to their comment. I’ve been asked by several readers how to add their photo to the comment system so I figured this would be a great how to for everyone.
What is a Gravatar?
A Gravatar is a photo or avatar that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you comment on websites which are running WordPress software, like groovyPost.
Everyone by default receives a custom Gravatar however it’s much better to add your own. Let’s do that now!
How To Get Your Own Personal And Custom Gravatar
Things you’ll need:
- An email address you’ll use for all the sites you post comments on
- A Photo
1. Visit http://gravatar.com/ and Click the Get your Gravatar today button.
2. On the next page Enter your Email address and Click Signup.
3. An email will be sent to confirm, Open your email and Click the Activation link.
4. The link should take you to the activation page, here Type in a desired Username using lowercase letters and numbers, no spaces or punctuation. Then enter a password you would like to use for your Gravatar account.
5. Now you need to assign a custom image. Click Add one by clicking here!
6. Next you need to choose where you’d like to get your image from. In my case I’m going to pull mine from my Facebook profile image so I’m going to select An image on the internet.
7. Input your image / image location and Click Next.
8. Chances are your image isn’t a perfect square, so here you can Crop your image using the dotted box on the left. The Small preview and Large preview is what your final Gravatar will look like. Click Crop and Finish! when done.
9. Next Click an ACCURATE rating for your Gravatar.
With that in mind please keep them rated G or PG for use on groovyPost.com and just about any other helpful website on the internet or else you risk your comments / Gravatar being revoked.
Now whenever you post a comment on a website just use the same email you used when setting up your Gravatar and your groovy avatar will display next to your name if the website supports it. Feel free to test it out below, in the groovyPost comments!